Do Not Sell My Personal Information

spraying rear drums

AlexBartlam

Good afternoon guys the rear drums on m y fez are horrible and rusty brownish colour and iv had the idea of spraying them black so they blend in with the alloys, iv nnot sprayed anything be for so any help on how to make them look good would help, i understand i should sand them but not sure how to prep or do it right, in shorter terms i dont want it looking like child has got hold of the spay can lol 

With something like drums, a drill mounted wire brush will help remove rust and loose bits very quickly. Use a wire wheel made from steel not the brass type.

brill thanks do they fit onto a normal power drill dont really want to buy a new drill just for this. 

2 hours ago, AlexBartlam said:

brill thanks do they fit onto a normal power drill dont really want to buy a new drill just for this. 

Yeah a corded drill or battery drill is fine. I'll get you an example from eBay in a second. 

Stick this number into ebay:-

make sure its a twisted knot type wheel as they are much more abrasive and hard wearing than the other types.

the ones you mount in a grinder are better because they spin faster but you'll need a face mask for sure as bits fire off left, right and centre lol. 

perfect that will do the job perfectly do i need to spray them with primer or just go straight to black for 3-4 coats 

I would hit them with a coat of primer first. If your using something like hammerite you can probably just spray it on directly. 

That said I've used high temp brush on paint before directly on the metal without primer and it lasted no problem. 

I did mine last week.  Scrubbed with a wire brush, then cleaned them with some wheel cleaner. Once dried I used masking tape to cover the lugs and attached newspaper to the surrounding area, then 2 even coats of high temperature spray on black paint.  They look awaesome.  With painting it is all about the preparation.

Perfect thanks for the advice guys ill get the stuff at the weekend im sure it will look better than brown thats for sure haha

Take it to a half decent local body shop/paint shop. they have all the consumables, decent paint, save yourself getting covered in crap and buying all the consumables.

Shouldn't be any more than £80 for your two drums possibly less if you know the guy/he's a friend. You'll have the car back the same day, save yourself a lot of hassle and get a decent professional job done that will outlast your own job more than likely (unless you have lots of time and an eye for detail and making a really good job).

I got mine done and they turned out better than the original factory finish and a year or so later are still perfect. I think he removed them and sand-blasted them first. I got the calipers done as well (they have not held up as well due to the harsh environment they operate under) and weren't sandblasted just rubbed down/cleaned up.

A lot people think they can do a good job but end up making a bit of a mess and cost themselves a lot of time and hassle.

Yh i think ill do it my self im more of a do it my self type of guy, if i know iv done the work myself i can appreciate it more and enjoy it more haha, also it will be alot cheaper especially with my new discount card on its way 

• Like 1

Some people have money to burn! :lol:

I used a small tin of hammerite and a £1 brush, spraying can be annoying if it blows everywhere, I sprayed calipers on the car once, never again lol...  Prep consisted of giving them a quick brush off with a wire brush.  Look fine tbh, even a child couldn't mess up Hammerite! :biggrin: 

• Like 2

yh as my car is frozen white im buying one/two of them plastic decorating sheets so i know every part is covered and put a bin bad over behind the drum.

🤔 just take the drums off to prep and spray them lol!

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club