Do Not Sell My Personal Information

58K Clutch problems

Joe1.6

Afternoon all,

Ok i'm no expert, this week we went to Wales. Try to climb a steep hill in my 55 Plate 1.6 zetec with 58k miles on clock.

The smell of a burning clutch and smokes as far as i could see, Tells me i burnt the clutch out on my car.

When the AA recovered me, they said it's strange,

The clutch pedal is completely slack (pedal spring is still there) 

It's selecting all the gears fine but reverse now and then,

Bite for the clutch is at the max

in all gears the car will drive very slow but with crazy amount of power on the acc pedal.

Before i put it in the garage to be sorted, does this sound like i've completely burnt out the clutch?

i've been quoted £290 for clutch repairs does this sound reasonable.

Thanks in Advance

Joe

11 hours ago, Joe1.6 said:

in all gears the car will drive very slow but with crazy amount of power on the acc pedal.

Before i put it in the garage to be sorted, does this sound like i've completely burnt out the clutch?

Yes!

If engine rpm is abnormally high for the speed, then clutch is slipping. £290 sounds reasonable to me.

However, if it has a DMF, and if that is worn, it should be replaced at the same time, and that would bump up the cost rather a lot. Check with the garage if a DMF is fitted, and how much if it would be if needed.

just curious but driving uphill how did you burn out the clutch assuming you weren't riding the clutch

To answer that question it's a no. 1.6 engine I thought my car would of easily of taking a hill roughly 30-40 degrees. 4 passengers all adults. Just as we hit the peak loads of smoke and the smell of a dead clutch. Was in 2nd gear about 4 thou revs. Thanks for the reply.

Brakes are fine from what i have checked.

The thing that worried me was when the first AA fellaa, seemed decent enough, told me its strange because the car was selecting gears 

alright, I've never had any slipping of gears, just every blue moon wouldn't take reverse on first go.

The second fella (flat bed) said something about a fluid leakage (second cylinder) just above clutch pedal but no fluid in drivers footwell, 

so he was lost.

as i said i know jack about mechanics, but i know the smell of a burning clutch. The thing i can't get my head around is 58k and the clutch?

if i've read right, 80k depending on driving skill. i've been driving for 10+ years i know i haven't been riding the clutch but i did buy it with one previous owner

a 64 year old who had it sat for 2 years. its been fine for the 7 months ive had it. just pi**ed a cheap week in Wales cost me 200quid recovery and pos 290

for a clutch, These things are made to try us! :)

I like the style of the mk2 focus. (now thinking about an 2.0 titainium upgrade)

We have a 1.6 as well with I guess the original cluch on 69K I've the 2.0 and it's quite fast it's the 1st 2.0 I've ever had haha,fuel readings on the onboard computer are about the same! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club