Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Protect my radiator.

Joe1.6

Ok guys,

i have of course 1.6 55 plate focus, i've noticed recently after my van was hit with a brick and a hole was made in the radiator.

The bottom end of my radiator on my focus isn't protected very well, damage to lower half.

ive also notice the the temps in the engine stay steady at half way according to the dash, but from a cold start rise very quickly just by sitting idle.

I'm thinking the damage to the lower half of the rad is causing this problem, if i did get a replacement rad.

What could i use on my front bumper to stop this issue happening again?

my rad

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

Hi Joseph

That rad looks well foo-barred. Not much air will be getting through those fins. Once you change it, maybe a way to offer the new rad some protection would be to fit some mesh behind the grill to protect the fins.

Something like this found on flea bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Black-ABS-Plastic-Racing-Race-Honeycomb-Mesh-Grill-Spoiler-Bumper-Vent-/221533151616

mesh.jpeg

Edited by Joss max
added images

Thanks bud,

is there certain mesh for certain cars or is its diy cut to fit?

if its cut to fit diy i have plenty of materials i could get from work, just don't want it to look like a bodged job.

i have 1mSheets of this i could use. (In Work)

mesh.jpg

You can use the mesh from your picture if it is made of stainless steel or anodized aluminium. If the mesh is made of iron/steel you should not use it because even if it is well protected by paint or powder coating it will still rust sooner or later because of stones/road dirt damaging the paint/coating.

It is completely normal for the needle of the temperature gauge to go to the middle of the scale within a few miles. The temperature gauge shows a value that is calculated by the PCM based on the data of several sensors. The gauge does not show a true realtime value.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joss max said:

Hi Joseph

That rad looks well foo-barred. Not much air will be getting through those fins. Once you change it, maybe a way to offer the new rad some protection would be to fit some mesh behind the grill to protect the fins.

Something like this found on flea bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Black-ABS-Plastic-Racing-Race-Honeycomb-Mesh-Grill-Spoiler-Bumper-Vent-/221533151616

mesh.jpeg

Sorry to jump in, but what would be the best way to get this kind of stuff attached?

The mesh can be glued in place using a good quality automotive window adhesive. However this requires the front bumper to be removed and if you want to remove the mesh at a later time it will not be an easy job.

Another possibility is to hold the mesh in place using small tie wraps. The mesh can be attached to the small bars of the front bumper. If you use small tie wraps that match the color of the car it will be hardly noticeable.

3M do little self adhesive blocks with little loops ideal for tie wraps. You can get them in most hardware shops. Or maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/stick-on-cable-management-ties-10-pack-n68gn

Edited by Joss max
added link
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club