Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A few questions...

Afternoon,

I have a few questions, none of them an issue as such just would like to know because I am nosey haha

1 - When you use Hill assist does it keep the brake light on for that 3 seconds it keeps you still?

2 - My auto lights seem to stay on for a mile or two after leaving a garage etc, is this normal? It feels like I need to turn them off...

3 - Do Ford cars play engine sounds through the Speakers? My 1 litre sounds pretty good (for a 1ltr) just wondering if it's a lie and people outside hear a lawn mower when giving it some

4 - Is it possible to swap out the sub for something better? I find to get a good drum beat coming through I need to turn the bass right up which doesn't seem right... 

5 - How hard is it to raise my Bi-Xenon lights? currently at 2 car lengths the top of my lights are on the tyres of the car in front...

6 - I have this car for 4 years (company car), I got it in May last year and to date I have done 44k... Is the engine still going to be usable by the time I get a new one haha

7 - Upon harsh braking do the hazard lights come on to show this?

That's it thanks :)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers

1 , not sure but i doubt it, 2 quite normal, 3 no, 4 no idea, 5 get them checked and adjusted correctly by a garage/mot testing station, 6 no problem, i see them with 100k plus miles still running quiet and smooth.

11 hours ago, mikeyd1 said:

No 4 made me larf

There isn't much better than feeling the thud of the drums from a jolly good Machine Head track...

I do not see the issue with this haha

14 hours ago, iantt said:

1 , not sure but i doubt it, 2 quite normal, 3 no, 4 no idea, 5 get them checked and adjusted correctly by a garage/mot testing station, 6 no problem, i see them with 100k plus miles still running quiet and smooth.

Cheers buddy

6 hours ago, jimbobcook said:

There isn't much better than feeling the thud of the drums from a jolly good Machine Head track

Unfortunately I can also feel it through my double-glazing as you go past. :sad:

I just wish that people who insist on playing that kind of material in their cars would have a bit of consideration for the effect it has on those outside the car. I don't believe in imposing my musical, or other, tastes on my fellow man but no doubt you'll just say I'm a stupid old idiot (which I probably am).

I now await the flames . . . . . .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mjt said:

Unfortunately I can also feel it through my double-glazing as you go past. :sad:

I just wish that people who insist on playing that kind of material in their cars would have a bit of consideration for the effect it has on those outside the car. I don't believe in imposing my musical, or other, tastes on my fellow man but no doubt you'll just say I'm a stupid old idiot (which I probably am).

I now await the flames . . . . . .

I some what agree with you, by bass I mean bass at lower volumes so i do not need to turn it up loud... I would however do that on a motorway... I think I am quite nice when it comes to populated areas.

I don't like yobs going past the house with loud music either

Bass is the issue, it reverbs through houses even when the volume is down.  

I completely agree with Mike and I'm not that old lol.  Not a problem with it if you're on the open road, but if you're booming away in town or parked up its really annoying.  Same with noisy exhausts, I really like a noisy exhaust, and indeed have one, but don't bounce it off the limiter at 11pm outside someone's house, it's just about consideration which a lot of people lack these days!

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Bass is the issue, it reverbs through houses even when the volume is down.  

I completely agree with Mike and I'm not that old lol.  Not a problem with it if you're on the open road, but if you're booming away in town or parked up its really annoying.  Same with noisy exhausts, I really like a noisy exhaust, and indeed have one, but don't bounce it off the limiter at 11pm, it's just about consideration which a lot of people lack these days!

It's almost like you've instantly branded me a chav, that or I've turned into agony aunt...

90% of my travelling is on the A1/A46 during work hours so I think I'm safe...

Hi Jimbob,

There's nothing wrong with having a sub installed and doesn't necessitate playing music at antisocial volumes. A car is never going to be a highly accurate listening environment, however, you can improve it considerably by adding a sub.

Do you already have a sub installed, if so what, where and how?

If you look in the Fiesta guides section you will find a guide for installing a sub. This method has no crossovers involved so the sub simply adds bass to what your system is already providing.

If you look in my build thread (Bastian) you'll find a second way of doing it which provides crossovers. This means that the sub provides all the low end stuff and allows your other Speakers to only provide the mid range and treble (which they can do better when they're not having to try to produce such a wide range of frequencies). This should give a better improvement in the overall sound quality compared to the simpler method.

Looking at the model you've got the I think you'll have the same stereo as me - Sony with 8 Speakers - which doesn't come with a sub as standard.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Dan P said:

Hi Jimbob,

Do you already have a sub installed, if so what, where and how?

Looking at the model you've got the I think you'll have the same stereo as me - Sony with 8 speakers - which doesn't come with a sub as standard.

Hey buddy,

Thanks for your post, luckily for me I have the new Focus Tit X which comes with a factory standard Sony sub in the boot inside the spare wheel...

Even the delivery guy didn't know what it was so the Focus clearly didn't have it before the MK3.5...

The only downside is that the boot liner has risen the height of the spare wheel so space is a pain...

I guess I should check the connection from the stereo to the sub to see if I can get another sub to fit...

Cheers

Tit X doesn't include the sub as standard, it's an option as part of the premium sound pack.

MK3 used to have sub in place of spare wheel, late MK3s and MK3.5 now has sub sat in spare wheel.

I doubt you'll be able to drive a different sub off the feed, it will still need a separate amp.

I find the bass perfectly adequate though with the right EQ settings.

47 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Tit X doesn't include the sub as standard, it's an option as part of the premium sound pack.

Sorry my bad, I was just trying to get across that I hadn't added it in aftermarket style...

Do you have a pic of your EQ settings lol the only time I would get to try and sort it is whilst driving so I don't annoy anyone and that has obvious issues being that I am driving...

Don't you wish that it was a side mounted sub in the boot instead of raising the boot liner up quite abit? My buddy has the Zetec S and his boot is quite large in comparison.

Cheers

I have Bass, Treb, etc set to 0.

DSP occupancy on Driver and whatever the named sound profile is on Pop.

I prefer having full width of boot personally, plus the padding around the wheel is perfect to store all my bits and pieces, so I have a clear boot.

Just now, alexp999 said:

I have Bass, Treb, etc set to 0.

DSP occupancy on Driver and whatever the named sound profile is on Pop.

I prefer having full width of boot personally, plus the padding around the wheel is perfect to store all my bits and pieces, so I have a clear boot.

I always assumed (stupidly it seems) that they put it to 0 on everything for you to change it lol I will give that a go with Pop...

haha you are full of logic! never thought of putting my stuff under the liner...

I thank you for your help

Sorry dude, mistakenly thought you had a Fiesta. Same principles apply though!

On 9/12/2016 at 3:05 PM, jimbobcook said:

2 - My auto lights seem to stay on for a mile or two after leaving a garage etc, is this normal? It feels like I need to turn them off...

Check the dashboard for the headlight delay setting. I dunno if that affects the turn off, but mine is set to 20 seconds. See what yours is set to. Sometimes if it determine the lighting isn't bright enough coming out of the trees for example they'll stay on a bit longer.

5 - How hard is it to raise my Bi-Xenon lights? currently at 2 car lengths the top of my lights are on the tyres of the car in front...

That's a pretty normal distance, they are computer controlled as they have got to auto level to prevent blinding. If you're on a tit x, they are likely to be adaptive too so will dip or raise slightly depending on whats coming ahead. I see mine moving when I come close up behind a car in the dark. Mine also move as I go around corners.

6 - I have this car for 4 years (company car), I got it in May last year and to date I have done 44k... Is the engine still going to be usable by the time I get a new one haha

Look after it, service it correctly you'll be fine. We've got pre-facelift MK3's for company cars at work that do similar miles and are perfectly happy cars.

7 - Upon harsh braking do the hazard lights come on to show this?

They should do as it will likely have brake assist being a Tit X. My old Zetec MK2 certainly did this one day when I braked hard to avoid a wild animal.

Hope this helps a little :)

14 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

2 -  Check the dashboard for the headlight delay setting. I dunno if that affects the turn off, but mine is set to 20 seconds. See what yours is set to. Sometimes if it determine the lighting isn't bright enough coming out of the trees for example they'll stay on a bit longer.

5 -  That's a pretty normal distance, they are computer controlled as they have got to auto level to prevent blinding. If you're on a tit x, they are likely to be adaptive too so will dip or raise slightly depending on whats coming ahead. I see mine moving when I come close up behind a car in the dark. Mine also move as I go around corners.

6-  Look after it, service it correctly you'll be fine. We've got pre-facelift MK3's for company cars at work that do similar miles and are perfectly happy cars.

7 -  They should do as it will likely have brake assist being a Tit X. My old Zetec MK2 certainly did this one day when I braked hard to avoid a wild animal.

Thanks very much for your reply, most helpful!

2 - I forgot about this on the dash, I will have a look later today to see if it does anything.. It doesn't bother me as such I just wondered why it took so long...

5 - Yeah they do all the moving stuff which took some getting used to... I guess I have just been used to having fixed lights which are normally much higher up... I see new cars with Xenon lights which are at the number plate sort of height which made me wonder if mine were too low...

6 - Sweet, 2 years 9 months till I get a new one lol

7 - Thanks very much for the info

Cheers buddy

No problems, you're welcome :) Glad it was helpful to you. I'm still trying to get used to having moving xenons too as I've never had them either. My passengers also get fascinated by them haha!

R.E. Point 3

Some Fords have a sympooser (essentially a pipe that conyeys sounds from the engine to the cabin), this is the case on my Mondeo Tit X Sport 240ps. 

Some of the later Focuses have an engine sound played through the stereo (as opposed to a symposer) which is artificial. I suspect this may be the case for your car. 

On 24/09/2016 at 9:45 PM, Wangarai said:

R.E. Point 3

Some Fords have a sympooser (essentially a pipe that conyeys sounds from the engine to the cabin), this is the case on my Mondeo Tit X Sport 240ps. 

Some of the later Focuses have an engine sound played through the stereo (as opposed to a symposer) which is artificial. I suspect this may be the case for your car. 

I think this would only apply to an ST surely? I certainly don't have any any engine noise coming out my Speakers, nor do I have an option to turn it off or on in my Sync 2 settings.

6 minutes ago, btmaldon said:

Mk 3 Focus ST's have symposer and Mk 3.5 the artificial sound through speakers.

Mk3.5 ST is only a digital symposer in EU.

US MK3.5 ST is still the pipe.

The digital symposer is actually a lot more natural, can't tell it's from Speakers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

I think this would only apply to an ST surely? I certainly don't have any any engine noise coming out my speakers, nor do I have an option to turn it off or on in my Sync 2 settings.

Yes, as far as I know it's just the ST that has this. I can't quite understand why Ford did this, at least with a symposer you know the sound is actually the engine. 

To return to the original questions I think hill start assist is a very bad development. It just encourages drivers to hold the car on the footbrake instead of learning to do it properly by using the handbrake.

I know I'll get shot down for that opinion but I get very fed up with being blinded by high-level brake lights, especially at night.

16 hours ago, mjt said:

To return to the original questions I think hill start assist is a very bad development. It just encourages drivers to hold the car on the footbrake instead of learning to do it properly by using the handbrake.

I know I'll get shot down for that opinion but I get very fed up with being blinded by high-level brake lights, especially at night.

No shooting here. I have it turned on because it does have its moments where it is handy, but half the time I find it can engage at inappropriate times. Nothing like the handbrake to ensure a safe hill start. There are certain inclines where this technology is going to create accidents and not prevent them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club