Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Quietest Time To Drive??

TomsFocus

So I know a lot of you cover more miles than I do, and was just wondering if there was a specific day or time that there is usually less traffic about and less chance of accidents?

Avoiding rush hour I know lol, and it can't be 3am either.

The main roads in question are the A12 and A130 from Ipswich to Benfleet.  But I'm guessing the level of traffic will be the same on all major areas.

Cheers

Tom

Not sure if it works in all areas, but about 9:30am seems to be a good lull in traffic around here. Just after the morning rush.

Or you can sometimes get a lull between school run and evening rush.

Otherwise it needs to be 7pm or later.

It can be influenced by local events, markets, etc. though.

• Like 1

Not sure if it works in all areas, but about 9:30am seems to be a good lull in traffic around here. Just after the morning rush.

Or you can sometimes get a lull between school run and evening rush.

Otherwise it needs to be 7pm or later.

It can be influenced by local events, markets, etc. though.

I find between 11am and 1 and then 7pm onwards is usually quiet.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The quietest periods here are on a weekday, about 9:30am to midday then between 1:30pm to 2:45pm and then after 7pm

But quiet randomly, it can be quiet between 4:30pm and 5:30pm in certain places.

At weekends, it's almost the other way round Saturday mornings quiet, whereas the afternoon can be a bit hectic and on Sunday it's all quiet except for anywhere that it near to, or is leading to retail parks and supermarket from about 9:30am to about 2pm.

The overall quietest time, regardless of weekday, is between 2am and about 5:30am, when you can drive for miles without seeing another vehicle, the odd truck or police car, but no-one else

• Like 1

Thing is at those quieter times of day you're more than likely to encounter the grey brigade / Sunday driver / dawdling Doris :wink:

1 minute ago, laumk7 said:

Thing is at those quieter times of day you're more than likely to encounter the grey brigade / Sunday driver / dawdling Doris :wink:

Easier to overtake the 'sunday driver' though as there's not much if hardly any vehicles from 6am to 9am at the weekends.... So just blast by them :laugh: 

Just now, laumk7 said:

Not if they're on the winding back roads :wink:

Hmmm! Yes! Well! Erm! If that's the case then buy one of these then, they'll sure pull over as you blast by, remember to turn it off though...lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-22-LED-Car-Flashing-Emergency-Light-Grill-Strobe-Flash-Lamp-12V-Blue-Red-UK-/151998860006?var=451181841873&hash=item2363d68ae6:g:feUAAOSwWTRW0~DT

8 hours ago, laumk7 said:

Yes, I encounter a few of them on a daily basis.  Thankfully I'm either driving the 405 or the Focus, both of which have more than ample engines for overtaking such "obstructions".

8 hours ago, laumk7 said:

Not if they're on the winding back roads :wink:

Hence why I have devised a route to and from work which avoids winding roads!  Otherwise, I have to grin and bear it... :angry:

Lol, yeah I don't mind overtaking old people on B roads, it's one of my specialities haha, I used to live in a small village half hour from town with only one road between the 2, you get used to overtakes pretty quickly there!  Much rather that than stuck in solid traffic on a dual carriageway.  You can always turn around if they crash in front.  Where as you're stuck for hours on a dual carriageway if they manage to crash there!!  I know they could crash INTO me but that's a terrifying thought so I'm not even going there lol.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be making this trip now.  I did manage to do a 'halfway' trip (Harwich if anyone's interested) last week and wasn't sure whether I was going to throw up or mess myself first as well as feeling so lightheaded I could barely walk.  I don't know whether it's anxiety causing it or whether it's just motion sickness but either way it's extremely frustrating as I've got a major phobia of getting ill, especially away from home.  I only stayed there probably 10 mins before I had to get home as quickly as I could (this is how I know Hekos don't fall off at 'some' speed lol), but couldn't risk getting stuck on the A12/A120 so came back via the back roads.  That was not a good trip. :sad: 

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol, yeah I don't mind overtaking old people on B roads, it's one of my specialities haha, I used to live in a small village half hour from town with only one road between the 2, you get used to overtakes pretty quickly there!  Much rather that than stuck in solid traffic on a dual carriageway.  You can always turn around if they crash in front.  Where as you're stuck for hours on a dual carriageway if they manage to crash there!!  I know they could crash INTO me but that's a terrifying thought so I'm not even going there lol.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be making this trip now.  I did manage to do a 'halfway' trip (Harwich if anyone's interested) last week and wasn't sure whether I was going to throw up or mess myself first as well as feeling so lightheaded I could barely walk.  I don't know whether it's anxiety causing it or whether it's just motion sickness but either way it's extremely frustrating as I've got a major phobia of getting ill, especially away from home.  I only stayed there probably 10 mins before I had to get home as quickly as I could (this is how I know Hekos don't fall off at 'some' speed lol), but couldn't risk getting stuck on the A12/A120 so came back via the back roads.  That was not a good trip. :sad: 

That's a shame Tom.  One of my most relaxing things to do is get in the car and just drive for miles and miles, so I couldn't imagine not being able to go outside my locality.  Admittedly I am a bit of a pill popper, but is there not medication you could get to help with your anxiety and/or the sickness? 

There probably are but...  I've never taken pills, not even headache pills or anything...the doctor didn't believe me when I told her that lol!  But I honestly haven't, can't risk the side effects of any medication.  I know it's pathetic and there 'might' be no side effects (though with SSRIs that's rarely the case) but I just can't risk it...I can't cope with being ill and worry about it constantly.  Tbh even if the pills didn't make me ill, my thinking about it probably would!  I often have trouble eating or cleaning my teeth without gaging...even just getting the pill in there would not be easy! :sad: 

I'm not really a fan of driving tbh, I do like cars, in fact they're about the only thing I do like, but stationary ones lol!!  Obviously my stomach problems don't help, but even without that there are just so many risks with driving, most of which out of my control, I don't find it relaxing at all.  I just want to get out and back home as quickly as possible.  I thought the GTi6 and the ST being 'fun' might take my mind off that a bit but it didn't really work.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club