Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Focus overheating etc.

Celticfan

Hi all, I've searched but can't find a relevent thread covering this. If someone knows of one I'd appreciate a heads up.

I've had my 2013 Focus Zetec S for two years now and it's done 27k. Always driven well and I've had it serviced as required by the service book.

Short drive home tonight after picking OH up. Noticed 'metallic' noise when pulling away and a real loss of pulling power. Once moving all fine. Then I could smell hot coolant. Car then stalled and wouldn't re-start and I had to manually parallel park(not easy with no power steering!)

Coolant tank is empty! Only checked it on Sunday and have driven less than 20 miles since then.

I can't see any burst or split hoses

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Bill

I havent a clue if the coolent hose aint split, have u noticed any why smoke out the back?

Hi Mikey, thanks for the reply

No signs of smoke. I did get some steam from the front corner of the bonnet so I assume it was from from the area of the coolant tank when I stopped. I'm going to go back the car with some water in a while see what happens. Also, can't see why overheating would be at the same time as the metallic noise unless something had given up the ghost.

Pain in the bum really. Have a job interview Friday morning and now may not have a car to get there!!!!

Edited by Celticfan
added comment

Have u any warrenty? I would double check all pipes and expation bottle. Any warning lights?

Not sure about warranty. Car was first registered November 13.

No warning lights until the overheating message.

In the 2 years you have had it, was the degas hose recall done on your car by ford? Was it serviced by ford?

Fortunatly it should be covered by fords 3 yr warranty if nov 13 is correct

The coolant return hose is a known problem of the 1.0 ECOboost. However duroing the recall last Year the old type of coolant return hose should have been replaced by now on all affected vehicles.

If the coolant return hose is not broken or split you should check the coolant reservoir itself. The coolant reservoir can wear prematurely as a result of the higher coolant temperature of the 1.0 and 1.6 ECOboost engines. The first symptoms are microcracks in the plastic material of the reservoir. After a while the reserrvoir can become cracked and start leaking.

Unfortunately the symptoms described and the metallic noise will almost certain point to internal engine damage.  Personally I would not try to start the engine and take it to a Ford dealer straight away. If the problem is caused by a broken coolant return hose or a broken reservoir Ford may consider it warranty as long as all warranty requirements are met.

Someone else on this forum had there engine sorted by ford due to degas hose splitting outside warranty and non ford servicing. 

Just been back to the car. Refilled coolant tank. Immediately water pouring out of hose across top front of engine block. Split on underside so not obvious.

car won't start. Sounds like starter motor isn't catching if that makes sense(sounds like the old days of bendix wear) Spinning away but not catching.

car registration date is 27/11/2013. Bought from Ford dealership(Trustford) when 10months old. No recall letter. I have it serviced by a Ford trained tech at local VAT registered garage, not Ford stealer ship.

b*****d!!!

this is exactly why i recomend ford for servicing while under warranty, recals and fsa are actioned when in for any work at ford dealer. you may save a few £ over 3 yrs but pay out big time if something like this happens

your engine will be scrap now for sure, 1.0 ecoboost wont tolerate quick coolant loss.

• Like 1

ah crap , thats bad news ^^ :-(

especially when its caused by just a £20 hose 

Personally I expect the engine to be seized solid as a result of the overheating. If this is the case the engine will allmost certain need to be replaced.

If the Ford waranty requirements are not (completely) met the warranty is basically voided. In this case you are basically dependent on the goodwill of Ford. In case the car is not serviced by a Ford certified service facility (Ford dealer) Ford may ask you to prove that the car is fully serviced according to the specified service scheme. Personally I know cases where the use of aftermarket service parts (oil filter, spark plugs, etc.) by an independent garage was a reason for Ford to reject a warranty claim.

My personal experience is that Ford usually rejects a warranty claim if the warranty requirements are not met. On the other hand a well documented service history and a cooperative Ford dealer can make the difference between granting or rejecting a warranty claim.

• Like 1

think the one i did some time ago was around £4000 approx, if ford wont pay , theres a few on eBay by scrap yards around £900 last time i looked.

my opinion is that ford will cough up if you persist.

And just looked on ETIS. Outstanding field service actions..... 4S615-Focus-1.0L Ecoboost- Degas hose

Is it possible that engine seized in literally seconds? The temp gauge didn't move off of normal until a few seconds before it stopped.

very possible indeed. when the hose goes the waterpump can chuck the coolant out very quickly, then temps increase very quickly inside engine.

• Like 1

It does concern me that these engine dont shut down when detecting coolent loss to save the engine

Initially the 1.0 ECOoost engine did have a coolant temperature sensor. The PCM usues this sensor to momitor the coolant temperature and control the temperature gauge inside the instrument cluster. The problem is that if the coolant suddenly disappears caused by a leak the sensor measures air inside the coolant system instead of coolant. The air transmits the temperature a lot slower than coolant which causes the engine to overheat without the PCM detecting the overheating. When the PCM detects the overheating it is already too late in most cases and internal engine damage did already occur.

Based on the schematics the more recent version of the 1.0 ECOboost which is used in the Focus MK3.5 should have an additional cilinder head temperature sensor. On these engines the PCM monitors both the coolant temperature and the cilinder head temperature. However I only found this in the schematics and never had the chance to confirm this. Based on the schematics other Ford models (like for example the Fiesta MK7.5) still uses the older version of the 1.0 ecoboost without the additional cilinder head temperature sensor.

• Like 1

looks like its located to the right, next to exhaust manifold casting of cyl head,

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iantt said:

looks like its located to the right, next to exhaust manifold casting of cyl head,

So does that mean mk3.5 is a bit safer???