Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres on your Focus

David990

Hello fellow Focus drivers.

I'm looking to change the tyres I have on my Focus but I'm undecided on what I want. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Dunlop SP Sport BluResponse or the Goodyear efficientgrip performance. Thought I'd ask on here for some advice and to see what other owners have on their cars.

Bridgestones and Hankooks here, mixed only because I had to buy two new front tyres 18 months ago so bought the Bridgestones as they were on a 'special' deal

I've heard some bad things about the Goodyear Efficient Grips... i.e they have poo grip.

I am rocking Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and for the past 10000 miles they have done the job. Plenty of thread left and I love them in the wet.

Grip on dry conditions is pretty much more than any standard suspension can offer :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e369d2be3cf9c4670908f89d0124368c.jpg

Changed from premecy 3 to dunlop sport blu responce all round.. miles better than the Michelin in my opinion. Wet grip amazing. Dry grip even better. Done 1500miles so far and very impressed. 

But I will say tyre choice is a very personal thing. I don't like good years and I'm sure ppl on here will say they don't like dunlop. There is no right or wrong answer. All comes down to your budget and what make u think will work best for you.

2 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

I've heard some bad things about the Goodyear Efficient Grips... i.e they have poo grip.

Perfectly fine on my Focus, I find it sticks to the road and they are nice and quiet!

For my personal taste, Michelin tires are not as noisy as some claim. This should not be blown out of proportion. They are okay tires and get the job done.

Every tire will make noise due to the fact that they touch the asphalt :). After a certain speed you hear the exhaust and engine, nay you hear your favourite song on the radio.

You should hear my winter tires in the wet , they sound brutal but you carve ice and snow like a hot knife through butter.

Safety should come first and good brakes, handling require good tires. Budget permitting of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16" Nokian Weatherproof (all 4 corners), immense snow and heavy wet weather performance and solid dry weather performance.  In the dry it is possible to induce understeer whilst cornering but only if I'm really being a bit of a spanner with the loud pedal.  Despite the rubber being quiet soft and me liking to corner on 2 wheels :tongue: the fronts don't really seem to have worn much in the 15 months they have been fitted.

I had cheapo no name tyres on before the Nokians and they were quite noisy, the Nokians don't seem noisy to me but I guess it depends what you are 'used to'.

Edited by 1979Damian
Nokia don't make tyres Nokian do

Goodyears for me too. Excellent grip in dry & wet, very quiet and improved my mpg too. 

22 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Got efficient grips on mine not the performance ones though as when I last used them the grip was dreadful, so using just efficient grips at the moment and they're absolutely brilliant hold the road nicely. 

I had the efficiency grip tyres on mine, when I had the alloys refurbed I replaced them with Hankook Evo II's a much better tyre iIMHO, the dunlops are a soft wall tyre and they always looked flat to me, the Hankooks are totally different and have excellent road holding. You pays your money and you takes your chance though, what might be good for me might not be for you.

Used TyresOnTheDrive as it seemed cheaper, bought Ecopia EP150. B fuel economy, less noisy. Bounces over pot holes, I am also sure that it put puts less pressure on wheel suspension parts.

Very happy with these on Ford focus mk1 also leaves less carbon foot print, I think there was a lot on this in the news a couple of weeks ago.

I've read mixed reviews about the dunlops. Good grip and fuel economy but soft side walls, which has led to some blow outs. Some people have also had to change tyres with only doing less than 10000 miles with them ones the tread just wears away quickly.

Soft sidewalls on the Dunlops?  Sure that's a review for Sport BluResponse?

Best tyres I've ever bought tbh, there is better about but for a midrange brand with B rated wet grip I haven't had any better.  They have good stiff sidewalls giving a tight turn in but have just enough give for decent wet grip and no skipping over rough ground.  Mine have been on for 16k miles now and have just rotated them front to rear, still plenty of tread in the middle of the fronts but I corner hard most of the time and have worn the edges down lol.

Fuel economy wasn't any different changing from the Hankooks which I didn't like, I couldn't drive hard in the wet with those, always felt a bit 'loose' unless you 'drive to conditions' but that's boring lol, I can drive the same in the wet as the dry on the Dunlops which is ideal. :biggrin: 

Can't really comment on noise as the Mk2.5 Focus is noisy anyway, but they don't seem to be adding any extra noise.

• Like 1

Lol, have you got any Rainsports there?  That's a proper soft sidewall! :laugh:   Put 45psi in them and they still look flat. :lol: 

How about jinyu for the budget conscious. Stiffer side wall so when you lose grip the sidewall doesn't puncture hitting kerb? Ha ha.

Think I would stick with those than a brand new jinyu, cords will give more grip

1474034331117-772924320.jpg

• Like 1

Shame. :sad:  The rainsports are bad enough for fast road...my mate put them on his track car, they whole sidewall folds underneath on the corners. :lol:

But back on topic, if you want good wet grip you need to have a softer tyre to deform over bumps/rough ground in the wet.  There are obviously stiffer sidewalls about, particularly on budgets with F rated wet grip (honestly who buys those? :laugh: ) but the Dunlops are stiff for a rain tyre, so you get the wet performance as well as a 'sporty' turn in, which is what I wanted and why I like them. :smile:  They aren't too soft a compound either so don't wear ridiculously, I wore out a pair of T1Rs in 9k!

Not sure about the blowouts, maybe people aren't putting enough air in them?  I've hit a lot of pot holes on mine lol.

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

Think I would stick with those than a brand new jinyu, cords will give more grip

1474034331117-772924320.jpg

Lol, is that an OE Hankook with OE Ford tracking?  Seem to remember my car coming on something similar! :laugh: 

Damn, I could name loads of tyres from their treads a few years ago. :sad::laugh: 

I bet you see quite a few like that though when the wear's on the inside!