Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Malfunction (1.8 duratec mk2.5)

greggp

Got in car today, turned ignition and got the audio chime (when fuel is low) followed by  dash warning "power steering malfunction"  message .

Turned ignition off and on and no warnings this time?

I note from the manual that the 1.8 duratec petrol says no checks are required to power steering levels....so I'm guessing its electric system?

Drove fine to and from work no issues.

Maybe a computer glitch?  Will keep an eye on it.

Model 2008 facelift 1.8 duratec petrol titanium

• Like 1

i say  glitch mine did this once months ago never again:smile:

• Like 1

Mine started to do that intermittently when the alternator and battery were on the way out.  If the ECU doesn't think that any electrical system i.e. ESP, PAS etc isn't getting sufficient power it will disable it rather than have the system fail to function correctly whilst driving.

It might just have been a one of glitch but it might be worth getting your alternator and battery tested (you can use the dashboard trick to check the alternator output).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Mine started to do that intermittently when the alternator and battery were on the way out.  If the ECU doesn't think that any electrical system i.e. ESP, PAS etc isn't getting sufficient power it will disable it rather than have the system fail to function correctly whilst driving.

It might just have been a one of glitch but it might be worth getting your alternator and battery tested (you can use the dashboard trick to check the alternator output).

Done the dash trick.

battery is 11.8v without engine running, 13.8v with engine running.

Scrolling thru menu I did find this 

DTC #01 D900 

Not sure if this is a fault code of somekind and/or related to yesterday?

Nice one.

Also to test the alternator you need to put some load on it i.e. front and back heated screens on (if you have both), all lights internal and external on, a/c on with the engine running.  The smartcharge system should keep the reading around 13.8-14v if memory serves me correctly.

Before I replaced the alternator, running this test dropped the voltage to 11.5v with the engine running :angry:

2 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Nice on.

Also to test the alternator you need to put some load on it i.e. front and back heated screens on (if you have both), all lights internal and external on, a/c on with the engine running.  The smartcharge system should keep the reading around 13.8-14v if memory serves me correctly.

Before I replaced the alternator, running this test dropped the voltage to 11.5v with the engine running :angry:

Yeah just tried it under load as you suggested and the voltage dropped to 11.6v at lowest. Fluctuated between this and 12v whilst under a full load.

Load used at same time as below:-

Heated front & rear screens

Front headlamps full beam

Front & rear fogs

All interior lighting

Air conditioning on full

Front Wipers on max 

In experience at least, that kind of behaviour was a symptom of the alternator being on it's way out (it didn't help that the alternator had been trying to charge the original 10 year old Motorcraft battery).

If it's only done it once then it might just be a glitch and you'll probably be fine driving it, although if it does it again it might be time to start looking at solutions.  (you don't want to be going round a corner and have the ECU decide the PAS isn't getting enough juice and turn if off) :wallbash:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

In experience at least, that kind of behaviour was a symptom of the alternator being on it's way out (it didn't help that the alternator had been trying to charge the original 10 year old Motorcraft battery).

If it's only done it once then it might just be a glitch and you'll probably be fine driving it, although if it does it again it might be time to start looking at solutions.  (you don't want to be going round a corner and have the ECU decide the PAS isn't getting enough juice and turn if off) :wallbash:

Thanks.  Yeah will keep an eye on it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club