Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo engine issues

Sheena77

My 2002 Mondeo tdci auto is in dire help.

For the last couple of years she's cut out on me from cold starts when heavy accelerating. I got round this by keeping her plodding along and being gentle until warm.

2 months ago, she decides she was gonna throw her rattles out and show me the glow light on starting.

I checked the dash for faults, and no codes were shown but she was in limp mode all the time. The next day she decides to give up entirely and wouldn't start at all. Hubby sprayed some easy start into the air box which got her running so I could get her to the garage. (Not ford)

They checked her over and changed the glow plugs which didn't help. Next was a set of replacement injectors... Whilst she starts and runs, I have a fair idea now if what it's like to drive a tractor. She's lumpier than before and still got that damn glow light on.

I'm trying to find the route of the problem but am struggling.

Hubby is saying to replace the pressure valve on the common rail, but I'm not sure if this is a step in the right direction.

She is serviced every year without fail, and all filters were changed approx 4 months before she decided to give up on me.

She currently has 154k on the clock, which is a drop in the ocean for a diesel.

Anyone got any ideas, or should I follow hubby's advice?

• 3 weeks later...

Have now replaced the pressure valve on the common rail and apparently it's now throwing up an error code, whereby no codes were showing before!

This is really puzzling now, as no matter what I do I cannot get her to run right.

Does anyone have any idea of where else I should be looking... I fear the only thing left is the fuel pump?!?

On 02/10/2016 at 9:31 AM, Sheena77 said:

it's now throwing up an error code, whereby no codes were showing before!

The error codes (DTCs) provide vital clues as to what might be wrong. They are not always 100% correct, but they always narrow the problem down. There are various sensors & valves that could be at fault.

This car predates the need for OBD2 compliance, so most generic OBD2 code readers may not work. The in-car dash displays are often very poor, I have found.

If you have a windows laptop, Forscan only costs £15 for the adapter, and can read Mk1 Focus codes (2001), so may well work on a 2002 Mondeo.

---

Forscan is a powerful Ford specific system, Cost £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available). You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id

Forscan works best on a Windows laptop, with a USB ELM. The Tunnelrat one (below) has been reported to work well by several people. Forscan is also available for iOS & Android for some tablets & phones.

For a USB ELM327 adapter, see
http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid

Wireless ELMs are also available (bluetooth & WiFi), but are often not as reliable as the wired ones. [This bit is not relevant to older Mondeo: Also they are rare in the "modified" form which is needed to access the 2nd Ford bus system. This 2nd bus is the MS-CAN bus, and links all the car interior electronics like door modules, and the BCM (aka GEM)]. But a standard ELM will still work with all the Underbonnet Modules (PCM, ABS etc) and with the IC (Instrument Cluster).

For an bluetooth wireless ELM, which one user at least says works with Forscan, see the KW902: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-KW902-Bluetooth-Scaner-OBD-Link-OBD2-Diagnose-Interface-Tester-white-UK-/281631334205

The Forscan programme is free (in Windows format) and you can get it from:
http://forscan.org/download.html

Edited by Tdci-Peter
correct link

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club