Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing camera and Active Park Assist

SteveGSXR600K1

Hi,

When I park, I get the full 'Park Pilot' image come up on the central screen showing the car picture and how close I'm getting to objects at the front and back of the car. I'm thinking of buying one the reversing cameras from eBay and was wondering, once it's been activated, etc, would I still see an image similar to the 'Park Pilot' or would it just be the camera image with the lines, and just have to go by the sound to judge how close I am to objects?

I have seen a YouTube a video where it showed a smaller Park Pilot type of image in the top left corner. This has a 'P.Pilot' button so it looks to me like you can toggle it off/on. This was the only English worded one I could find, but unfortunately it was on YouTube to show a fault with the camera image!

Does anyone have a factory fitted reversing camera and either rear sensors or the 'Active Park Assist' from an early MK3 Focus? What do you see when reversing, and what does the 'P.Pilot' button show? 

Reversing Camera.jpg

what screen do you have? you will need the sat nav screen with camera input . i doubt you will get full functions using the eBay cameras as it wont be comunicating with park assist module

Not only the 5 inch Sat Nav FCDIM (display) has the rear view camera input. Some versions of the 4.2 Inch Sony FCDIM do also have the rear view camera input.

As Ian said the rear view camera input is only active if the original rear view camera and rear view camera are connected and activated and the car is in reverse gear. If the original camera and module are present the rear view camera communicates with the rear view camera module. Next the rear view camera module uses the CANbus network to comunicate with the display to unlock the camera input. The original parts that are needed to retrofit the original rear view camera are pretty expensive.

It is also possible to unlock the camera input of the 4.2 Inch Sony display and connect any Chinese NTSC camera by loading custom firmware. However this is not a free solution The custom firmware is developed by some clever Russian guys who sell it commercially. 

On the 5 Inch Sat Nav display it is also possible to unlock the camera input and connect any Chinese NTSC camera. This requires an aftermarket module which is also developed by some clever Russians.  

20 hours ago, iantt said:

what screen do you have? you will need the sat nav screen with camera input . i doubt you will get full functions using the ebay cameras as it wont be comunicating with park assist module

Hi Ian & Wilco, thanks for your replies.

I have the 5" with SAT NAV, but not sure about the camera input connector. The main stereo looks like Wilco's.

I've just seen a pic of Ian's screen and it show's 'Guides', 'P.Pilot' & 'Close'. Do you have parking sensors? If you have, then this might be why you see the 'P.Pilot' option. KPGS's pics show only 'Lines' & 'Close', so assuming Kiefer hasn't got parking sensors.

Another pic I found was one from Jollyandy who has a Titanium-X and factory fitted reverse camera. His shows 'Zoom', 'Guides', 'P.Pilot' & 'Close'. Wonder if the zoom is because he has the Active Park Assist as well. Will have to PM Andy as he should be able to answer some questions.

I was wondering what these wireless receivers are like, as they could save a lot of messing about trying to route a cable from rear to front. Might be worth a go for a tenner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251306609472?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

Is the camera input connector RCA or FAKRA, as I may need the adapter lead that I've seen mentioned? I'll find out more from the Russian guys that developed the module for costs, etc.

Whoever bought my car brand new, ticked most of the options boxes, shame they missed the reverse camera one!

All 5 Inch displays should have the rear view camera input. This is a beige Fakra connector.

Personally I would not use a wireless camera. These are known for interference by the cars electronics. A wired camera is the most reliable. The aftermarket camera module can be found at the following website:

http://www.ucdsys.ru/?page_id=350&lang=en

mine is a bit of a mixture of features, i installed aftermarket sensors but with an aftermarket module that made park pilot display function like oe , then at later date i put satnav screen in with aftermarket camera and russian module for it to work. so only the park pilot close button works which switches camera off but the park pilot still sounds.
not sure how yours will function as you have oe park pilot
kieffer doesnt have any reverse sensors, just the reverse camera and satnav.

3 hours ago, JW1982 said:

All 5 Inch displays should have the rear view camera input. This is a beige Fakra connector.

Personally I would not use a wireless camera. These are known for interference by the cars electronics. A wired camera is the most reliable. The aftermarket camera module can be found at the following website:

Wireless sounds a good idea, but was wondering about interference, etc. Also, the receiver only has has connectors that are mini/micro USB for power and what looks like a 3.5mm jack. So these wouldn't be any good. Shame though, as it would save a lot of hassle.

2 hours ago, iantt said:

mine is a bit of a mixture of features, i installed aftermarket sensors but with an aftermarket module that made park pilot display function like oe , then at later date i put satnav screen in with aftermarket camera and russian module for it to work. so only the park pilot close button works which switches camera off but the park pilot still sounds.
not sure how yours will function as you have oe park pilot
kieffer doesnt have any reverse sensors, just the reverse camera and satnav.

Sounds like the options you get on the screen depend on what other modules it detects. Is there firmware on the 5" screen that might need updating? With Kiefer not having reverse sensors make sense why his screen doesn't show 'P.Pilot'. If you press 'P.Pilot' on yours does it show the bumper image in the corner? 

p.pilot button doesnt do anything on mine. , its not that difficult to run cable fron rear to front. even with a wireless your going to run power to the camera and the screen end, so more wiring to do as such. the camera i bought came with the rca cable long enough to run under the n/s trims up to screen.

• 6 months later...
On 9/18/2016 at 9:41 AM, JW1982 said:

Hi, i want to do this on my 2011 focus but the russians do not make the module anymore, does anyone have another solution? i found this that says it works but i am not sure?

https://car-solutions.com/en/camera-connection-cable-for-ford-cars-with-sync-1-monitors.php

any help be appreciated! 

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I am also wondering if this wire will do the same job as the Russians one. If it does, it's cheap at £30

• 1 month later...

^^ Did either of you try the cable?

This cable is only suitible for a 5 Inch FCDIM which has built-in rear view camera support. A European Focus MK3 FCDIM does not support this.

As far as I know only USA 5 Inch FCDIM modules and some very late European Kuga/Fiesta 5 Inch FCDIM modules have built-in rear view camera support. All other 5 Inch FCDIM modules require the additional (original or Russian) module to unlock the rear view camera input of the FCDIM.

40 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

This cable is only suitible for a 5 Inch FCDIM which has built-in rear view camera support. A European Focus MK3 FCDIM does not support this.

As far as I know only USA 5 Inch FCDIM modules and some very late European Kuga/Fiesta 5 Inch FCDIM modules have built-in rear view camera support. All other 5 Inch FCDIM modules require the additional (original or Russian) module to unlock the rear view camera input of the FCDIM.

Why did they lock it in Europe but not US? Weird.  Best cancel my order then :( Thanks.

Is the russian module still available?

Despite being the same model the USA Focus mk3/MK3.5 differs in many ways from the European Focus MK3/MK3.5. Most electronic modules have different software/hardware and are not interchangeable without modifications. 

I heard from several people that the Russian people behind UCDS no longer sell their rear view camera module. However some other Russian websites list a compareable module that looks like a copy/clone of the UCDS module. However I do not have any experience.

24 minutes ago, Victory said:

Nice.  How does it work? Into the BCM? And were intructions for idiots provided?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, vibeone said:

Nice.  How does it work? Into the BCM? And were intructions for idiots provided?

Cheers!

you shouldn't have any issues doing it if i can! it wires into aq connection on the passenger side of the centre console. When im at work tomorrow ill sort all the details for you.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Victory said:

you shouldn't have any issues doing it if i can! it wires into aq connection on the passenger side of the centre console. When im at work tomorrow ill sort all the details for you.  

Thanks mate.  It appears I can't cancel my order of the other cable, so I've paid £25 for a cable I could have probably got for a quarter of the price off amazon.  Oops!

OK so here is my attempt at this, might try do something bit more polished for the guide section at some point.

so you need a reverse camera of course, one i went for replaces to tailgate switch and looks very factory. First one i got was a bit duff and poor quality so i had that returned and purchased another. link is here 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-ROVER-Car-Rear-View-Backup-CCD-Camera-for-Ford-Focus-3-Kuga-Mondeo-Focus/252789753404?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

so you need plug the reverse camera into back of the FCDIMM here

49c6c4as-960.thumb.jpg.2188bccc3f0609bce1708f0bca9ff9c7.jpgusing one of these cables.22.jpg.742b3d473f771e36a1e31a6985040acd.jpg

I then wired the camera into the power feed for the reverse light on the passenger side, i can get you picture of this if needed and i earthed mine on little screw on the tailgate.

Next step is to get your russian module , it cost me $100 in total $80 for the module and $20 for the postage, it does take around 20 days to arrive..20140504_195953.jpg.709c80c8d1821ca0920391991867b945.jpg

http://pro-ford.com/focus/ford-focus-3/sistemy-bezopasnosti-ohrany-i-pomoschi/kamery-zadnego-vida-i-ekrany/neoriginalnyy-modul-kamery-ekrana-mfd5/?currency=USD

and wire into the C23 connector which is on the passenger side of the cars center console to the left of the gear stick.

wiring for this is as follows.

Red wire of module - 31 pin of C23
Black wire of module - 7 pin of C23
Yellow of module- 8 pin of C23
Blue of module - 9 pin of C23

up224838-0ib76bdi2b96d81eiorig.jpg.5bc2cf5369196bb47a3d9851dd24d2ca.jpg

to make it easy for the connections i used Scotch Lock Wire Connectors so no need splice or cut any cables so it is possible to remove the modification afterwards.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scotch-Lock-Wire-Connectors-Quick-Splice-Scotchlok-Electrical-Cable-Joints/132083799109?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Once this is done all you need to do is activate the reverse camera using Focccus or something similar

any questions let me know!

89c6c4as-960.jpg

Cool that's brilliant, but I have a few annoying questions....

Firstly, when you say its to the left of the gear stick, is that a ful lrip out of the centre console? Sounds bad - might is tight in.

Also, I may have asked this before, but does this method support picture-in-picture park pilot like OEM? Or does it just force a full screen video to the display?

Thanks for the great guide!

way it works with park pilot im afraid i have no idea.. i would hope it does allow you to select it.. but i think you might just hear the beeps.. to be honest i have been thinking about getting the sensors as i haven't got them but i would say the camera is far superior to the sensors !

its just the left side of the console there is a plastic kick panel on the left in the passenger foot-well its really easy to get off just  a b**ch to get back in ill get youa pick later of the panel i mean 

I've ordered it anyway.  So I've got all the bits I need bar the camera iteself :D

There's one on amazon prime though so I'll prob go with that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vibeone said:

I've ordered it anyway.  So I've got all the bits I need bar the camera iteself :D

There's one on amazon prime though so I'll prob go with that.

you will need some extra cable too just to extend the wires on the module when you get it as i found it easier to extend them as they are very small cables. You will also need some for the camera wiring anyhow for the earth and to connect to the reverse light so would get yourself some black and red wire.

The short cable I bought says the camera should have an ignition live to it otherwise it won't be detected?  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club