Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Improve performance on your Ti-VCT Focus: Snorkel Delete & Air Filter upgrade

montyburns

I've always been a little disappointed with the lack lustre acceleration and overall performance on my 1.6 Ti-VCT 2011 Focus. It was ok, but simply felt that it was underperforming on power. There seemed to be a little 'lag' on acceleration, getting the revs up past 3k, and related speed seemed non linear to me. 

It annoyed the hell out of me TBH.

Despite Ford saying they could not feel anything wrong with the car after they took it out for a test drive, they upgraded the PCM and for a while it seemed better, but in hind sight that may have been because the PCM was 're learning'

To cut a long story short, I have been trawling through the web, desperately trying to find a solution to this.

I found this on the Focus Fanatics website: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/duratec-ti-vct-performance-2012-current/297795-snorkel-delete.html?utm_source=FordOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals

I was sceptical, but thought what the heck, and fitted a K&M filter (E-9289) and carried out the snorkel delete.

Wow, what a difference that made to the performance, the linear acceleration is now how it should be, along with a beautiful air induction noise. Not had a chance to verify yet, but many are saying there maybe an increase to the MPG with these mods.

Just wanted to share that with you guys,  great mods and worth every penny. 

Now, all  have to do is learn to fall back in love with my car now that it performs as I would expect!

• Like 3

I second what MrBurns has stated. I did this mod myself yesterday and combined with my Green Cotton air filter, this really does improve acceleration, idle and cold starts. The car feels a lot happier accelerating from low revs. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

To think on the Mk1 everyone wanted the Auto deflector and ST170 snorkel. Now it is the complete opposite, shows no 2 cars are the same. 

21 hours ago, kpg said:

I second what MrBurns has stated. I did this mod myself yesterday and combined with my Green Cotton air filter, this really does improve acceleration, idle and cold starts. The car feels a lot happier accelerating from low revs. Highly recommended.

I'll have to try this, as you know how I feel about my Ti-VCT!!

In a different post, it showed that you've removed the snorkel and a plastic grid. Does it need both parts removing?

• Like 2

I'll have to try this, as you know how I feel about my Ti-VCT!!

In a different post, it showed that you've removed the snorkel and a plastic grid. Does it need both parts removing?

The snorkel is a must and yes I would remove the rubber framing as well although opinions vary on the effect of removing it. Check out the thread on focusfanatics I posted. Lots of info on there and most people have removed the framing also. I did it just to free up more space behind the grill so more air is readily available. In theory.

I did these on my regular 1.6. I think the K&N filter + K&N airbox lid made a very slight difference to the responsiveness. I didn't remove the snorkel until several months later, but the snorkel delete didn't seem to make a difference ontop of the filter.

This applies to the normal focus too. I made a 3d printed snorkel which is way more efficent than the stock one. It performs better than a delete too. Have a look at my recent threads

5 minutes ago, Jeremyc said:

This applies to the normal focus too. I made a 3d printed snorkel which is way more efficent than the stock one. It performs better than a delete too. Have a look at my recent threads

Yo that looks sick, especially the red one. So this actually works better than a delete? I'd be pretty interested in purchasing one off you if you are willing to print one, if it offers a better response even ontop of having a performance filter.

• 2 weeks later...

A small update/bit of advice regarding the snorkel delete. So after I took the snorkel out everything was great, felt nicer and pulled better from low revs. Recently I had my battery disconnected at which point I think after reconnecting it, whatever benefits the delete did, have been reversed. This is still without the snorkel attached. It seems to have 'relearnt' the air intake and somehow recalibrated for the extra air available. Basically it's back to square one after the battery was disconnected. So, as a shot in the dark, I've reconnected the snorkel and again disconnected the battery to hopefully reset it. Should be back to factory settings now. After a few days I'll take the snorkel back off again without touching the battery to see if I can replicate the benefits of doing it the first time. Hope you all understand what I trying to say, I typed this very fast lol.

Don't disconnect the battery after deleting the snorkel. It'll set everything back to normal. :(

20 hours ago, kpg said:

A small update/bit of advice regarding the snorkel delete. So after I took the snorkel out everything was great, felt nicer and pulled better from low revs. Recently I had my battery disconnected at which point I think after reconnecting it, whatever benefits the delete did, have been reversed. This is still without the snorkel attached. It seems to have 'relearnt' the air intake and somehow recalibrated for the extra air available. Basically it's back to square one after the battery was disconnected. So, as a shot in the dark, I've reconnected the snorkel and again disconnected the battery to hopefully reset it. Should be back to factory settings now. After a few days I'll take the snorkel back off again without touching the battery to see if I can replicate the benefits of doing it the first time. Hope you all understand what I trying to say, I typed this very fast lol.

Don't disconnect the battery after deleting the snorkel. It'll set everything back to normal. :(

Are you sure the battery reset would do something like this? I've disconnected my battery numerous times since deleting the snorkel and not noticed anything different.

Are you sure the battery reset would do something like this? I've disconnected my battery numerous times since deleting the snorkel and not noticed anything different

Well I had a think about it and I recently cleaned my air filter so I thought that I maybe over oiled it slightly and that's why it felt laggy but I oiled the filter a few days after disconnecting the battery so it couldn't be the filter. I've had the snorkel on since yesterday so I'll give it another go deleting it tomorrow and report back. If it doesn't fix it then I'm going to try buying a new air filter just to be sure.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club