Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St2 to st line 140

JoeZS19

Hey,

Currently got an st2 on the ford privilege scheme (second one ive had) . I love the St and really can't fault the car. Was just wondering if anyone had swapped to a Zetec s/st line/red/black edition etc 140 from an St?

Ive previously had a 125 1.0 Zetec s which was nippy but obviously a different beast to the St aha. What do people think to the 140 engine?

Main reason I'm considering changing from the St when my terms up is lower payments (I hope) but mainly the thought of it less likely getting stolen!

Thanks in advance :)

Won't be a great deal of difference between the 125 and 140, slightly more responsive.

ST line is just a re-badged Zetec S with a slightly tarted up interior.

• Like 1

Won't be a great deal of difference between the 125 and 140, slightly more responsive.

ST line is just a re-badged Zetec S with a slightly tarted up interior.

Yeah I guess it's only 15 different.

Yeah I did see that, different coloured wheels aswell

My daughter has a zetec s 140 and I am very impressed it's a nippy little thing. Would I swap it for my st, well not unless it was impossible to keep the st.

I'd take a long test drive in one before you decide

• Like 1

I changed from the ST3 to the Zetec S Red Edition (140) last year.  There is a very noticeable difference in performance obviously however the little 1 ltr is amazing.  very nippy and plenty of response.  Its fuel economy is also pretty good.  I'm currently averaging around 52 MPG.  I miss some of the gadgets from the ST3 like keyless entry, cruise control, etc oh and not to mention the Recaro seats.  

Its a different car but for the difference in money still a very very strong performer.

My daughter has a zetec s 140 and I am very impressed it's a nippy little thing. Would I swap it for my st, well not unless it was impossible to keep the st.

I'd take a long test drive in one before you decide

Yeah hopefully I'll be able to test drive one which may help my decision

I changed from the ST3 to the Zetec S Red Edition (140) last year.  There is a very noticeable difference in performance obviously however the little 1 ltr is amazing.  very nippy and plenty of response.  Its fuel economy is also pretty good.  I'm currently averaging around 52 MPG.  I miss some of the gadgets from the ST3 like keyless entry, cruise control, etc oh and not to mention the Recaro seats.  

Its a different car but for the difference in money still a very very strong performer.

That's good to know that you don't hate the 140! I know I will miss the recaros 😩.

Will try and test drive one and see what I think to it

2 hours ago, JoeZS19 said:

That's good to know that you don't hate the 140! I know I will miss the recaros 😩.

That's the best thing.  I think with me it wasn't an instant love but I find it fine now.  The ride quality is way better though, which is probably the one thing I hated about the ST

I looked at the Fiesta brochure and the 0-62 between the 125 and 140 is 0.4s however, the 31 -62 difference is significant. Almost so significant, I found myself sitting there saying "realllllly" out loud in a high pitched voice!

So 15 bhp you would not tell a lot of change only say if more people in.

So from a 125 to a 140 not a lot then of difference but to a ST you would tell being a lot more.

I have the old 1.6 Ti-vct and it feels so nippy even low down revs and mate has a 1 litre 125 eco and we swapped and had a go and he

said my 1.6 is a lot better low down and about the same once turbo kicks in,i would look at the 140 but if not a lot of difference i don't think i will.

That's the best thing.  I think with me it wasn't an instant love but I find it fine now.  The ride quality is way better though, which is probably the one thing I hated about the ST

I think I would just have to get used to the difference. I love the st but there may be pros to swapping. The handling of the st is great but you do notice the stiffness when you have passengers in the car

I looked at the Fiesta brochure and the 0-62 between the 125 and 140 is 0.4s however, the 31 -62 difference is significant. Almost so significant, I found myself sitting there saying "realllllly" out loud in a high pitched voice!

Oh really? I'll have to check that out

So 15 bhp you would not tell a lot of change only say if more people in.

So from a 125 to a 140 not a lot then of difference but to a ST you would tell being a lot more.

I have the old 1.6 Ti-vct and it feels so nippy even low down revs and mate has a 1 litre 125 eco and we swapped and had a go and he

said my 1.6 is a lot better low down and about the same once turbo kicks in,i would look at the 140 but if not a lot of difference i don't think i will.

Yeah Ive had both the 1.6 Ti-vct and the 1.0 ecoboost 125. The 1.6 pulled away better but I think once the turbo kicked in on the 1.0 the engine was bettter. Certainly the gears revved a lot longer

The 1.6 ST is in a different league though, low down and up high it pulls well

3 hours ago, JoeZS19 said:

Yeah Ive had both the 1.6 Ti-vct and the 1.0 ecoboost 125. The 1.6 pulled away better but I think once the turbo kicked in on the 1.0 the engine was bettter. Certainly the gears revved a lot longer

The 1.6 ST is in a different league though, low down and up high it pulls well

True the 1.0 eco is a better and newer engine and i had mine because of price and toys,being this topic i just thought i would ask being the eco would be my next but going on only being in the 125/1.0 litre i don't know if the pulling off very slow would get to me and is the 140 better like 'middle of the road' for this,i can pull up to a junction slow in mine and just foot down and off i go and in 2nd/3rd gear,got to say i do like the ST Line a lot.

That's what I was wondering, is the 140 a compromise between the 125 and ST. I found the 1.0 125 to still pull well enough away. It's not terrible and the turbo kicks in fairly soon

I tried to go in my mates 1.0/125 when your still rolling a bit to a junction as you do in say 2nd/3rd and clear so foot down and gone but once turbo kicks in was fine but being mine don't have the turbo mine just went,its a thing you get use of like down a gear and more revs unless going from 2nd to 1st which wont have it unless you stop.

So the ST Line is the same Engine as the ZS,good topic seeing if a lot of people have made the change.

Yeah they've just rebranded the zs, changed the interior slightly and stuck a badge on the side aha

I didn't realise they were putting those daft ST line badges on the red and black editions as well until the weekend.  Was at a promo event looking round the new cars and overhearing the poor salesman trying to explain how an ST Line isn't an ST to various people several times. :laugh: 

• Like 1

I didn't realise they were putting those daft ST line badges on the red and black editions as well until the weekend.  Was at a promo event looking round the new cars and overhearing the poor salesman trying to explain how an ST Line isn't an ST to various people several times. :laugh: 

I don't mind the badge but think it would of been better with the Zetec s name still

• Like 1

On 19/09/2016 at 7:29 PM, ayrshiredude said:

I'm currently averaging around 52 MPG.

You must only drive downhill :wink:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JoeZS19 said:

I don't mind the badge but think it would of been better with the Zetec s name still

Yeah I didn't meant the badge design, the name is what annoys me lol.

Zetec S doesn't really work now they've stopped with the Zetec engines, maybe EcoBoost S but that doesn't sound right lol.  Even just 'Sport' would've been better than ST Line though imo.

Having owned a 125 and two 140s I'll say there's a rather large difference between them really.

The 125 reaches 62mph in 2nd gear, whereas the 140 needs 3rd gear to do it - that's why there's only 0.4sec difference (the gear change to 3rd takes time after all)

The overall gearing of the 140 is lower than on the 125, which means high speed crusing can be a bit loud in the 140 due to higher rpms. On the plus side you get much more torque to the wheels when comparing to same gear in the 125.

Plenty of people on youtube actually hit 62mph in less than 8 seconds in the stock 140 - whether they're telling the truth I dare not say, as I haven't timed it myself.

The reason I changed from my 125 ZS to the 140 Black Edition was mainly the engine, I felt there was no power everytime I upshifted, even when doing so at 6k rpm. In the 140 I can upshift at 3k rpm and still feel like I have instant power. Furthermore 3rd gear was very dead in my 125, whereas it's my favourite gear in the 140 because it just keeps pulling.

I suggest trying the 125 and 140 right after eachother, and I guarantee you'll feel a difference as well :-)

My only gripe with the 140 is the gearbox (same as for the 100 and 125) - it's got a very long throw (I'll fix that soon enough though when my Mountune short shifter arrives), and it can't really handle that much torque, meaning most remaps WILL eventually break it (broken synchros for 1st and 2nd gear is a common issue on this forum, and it's normally linked to a remapped engine). Oh and it's only a 5 speed :-(

Yeah I didn't meant the badge design, the name is what annoys me lol.

Zetec S doesn't really work now they've stopped with the Zetec engines, maybe EcoBoost S but that doesn't sound right lol.  Even just 'Sport' would've been better than ST Line though imo.

Yeah I guess they were trying to think of a different name, I don't mind st line but just sounds like the Audi s line..shame they have the eco sport so can't even use that

Having owned a 125 and two 140s I'll say there's a rather large difference between them really.

The 125 reaches 62mph in 2nd gear, whereas the 140 needs 3rd gear to do it - that's why there's only 0.4sec difference (the gear change to 3rd takes time after all)

The overall gearing of the 140 is lower than on the 125, which means high speed crusing can be a bit loud in the 140 due to higher rpms. On the plus side you get much more torque to the wheels when comparing to same gear in the 125.

Plenty of people on youtube actually hit 62mph in less than 8 seconds in the stock 140 - whether they're telling the truth I dare not say, as I haven't timed it myself.

The reason I changed from my 125 ZS to the 140 Black Edition was mainly the engine, I felt there was no power everytime I upshifted, even when doing so at 6k rpm. In the 140 I can upshift at 3k rpm and still feel like I have instant power. Furthermore 3rd gear was very dead in my 125, whereas it's my favourite gear in the 140 because it just keeps pulling.

I suggest trying the 125 and 140 right after eachother, and I guarantee you'll feel a difference as well :-)

My only gripe with the 140 is the gearbox (same as for the 100 and 125) - it's got a very long throw (I'll fix that soon enough though when my Mountune short shifter arrives), and it can't really handle that much torque, meaning most remaps WILL eventually break it (broken synchros for 1st and 2nd gear is a common issue on this forum, and it's normally linked to a remapped engine). Oh and it's only a 5 speed :-(

Thanks for the reply! It's good to see you noticed a difference between the 125 and 140. I think I need to drive a 140. I know it will be slower than the st with softer suspension, longer gear throw etc but I may like it. Will have to see and if there's much price difference. If not I'll stick with my ST or get another one aha

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club