Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ford ka test drive

jocojohn

Hi,

tomorrow I`m going to test drive a 52 plate ford Ka which my partner is considering buying. It would be good if someone could give me a few pointers about what to look out for. Im aware of the problem with rust around the fuel filler and the door A frame. I`m assuming the 52 model has the duratec engine fitted. Are there any weaknesses with this engine and/or gearbox.

I`m sure the car must have something wrong with it as the price seems too good to be true. Thanks in advance, John

Make sure it has the Duratec engine - spark plugs should be at the back of the engine, thats a good way of telling. The engine/gearbox are the last things you should be worrying about on a Ka really. If it has the old Endura engine, I would forget about it.

Test all gears, at all speeds you can. Check all the equipment fitted to the car, the heater, handbrake, brakes, clutch, etc. Listen carefully for noises coming from the front of the car - might be bad shock absorbers or suspension bushes (also at rear). Underneath the car check for excessive corrosion, check for excessive wear and tear of the suspension parts. Ask when the last major service was carried out, check all documents. Ask if the steering rack has ever been replaced.

Is it a dealer or private? If its a dealer, please be careful. :)

Thanks for that, I didnt know the plugs were at the back on a duratec. Its is from a second hand car dealer but wouldnt that mean there should be some comeback if something was wrong..

John

Hi again, I`ve just remembered another question I meant to ask.

I`ve never been a big fan of cars without temperature gauges, what sort of warning light etc should I look out for if the engine is running hot. thanks again, John

Hi again, I`ve just remembered another question I meant to ask.

I`ve never been a big fan of cars without temperature gauges, what sort of warning light etc should I look out for if the engine is running hot. thanks again, John

if the engine does get too hot there will be a symbol that looks like a thermometer(or something to indicate temperature). when you put the key in the ignition and turn it till the lights come on you should see it appear for a couple of seconds then.

Its is from a second hand car dealer but wouldnt that mean there should be some comeback if something was wrong..

John

If there is something wrong after you buy it - something major they should have mentioned before selling it to you, then yes, they should fix it. But that hardly ever happens. They take your money, and thats the end of the deal - no such thing as after sales service from a used car dealer.

If its definitely a 52-58 reg Ka you want, get the Haynes manual for this model and have a good read - it will give you an idea of the common problems, what to look for. And at the back of the book is a list of all the tests done on an MOT - most of these tests you can carry out yourself.

Hi,

Thanks for all those replies. Took the car for a long test drive today and it drove really well even tho it has the Endura engine, it still sounded smooth so I decided to buy it for my partner.

Just for the record, its a 52 plate, silver, leather seats, Air con, CD, electric windows and mirrors, nearly new tyres, full MOT and a years tax all for £ 1,495. I`m sure that if Er indoors get fed up with it we could even sell t for a small profit.

John

Good luck with it - the old Ka is a fantastic car, as long as its behaving. Mine is causing me more than enough trouble, especially since its an 08 plate. :(

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club