Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres....understeer

InstructorPiggy

Hey...

I am man of varied experience of under and oversteer.

But it has to be said the new festa is very good, had Hankook tyres on and I have had to correct a little oversteer more than under in the wet so far, and i was caught out.

However coz I am in a PRE contract hire vehicle, when the front tyres needed doing they just shoved budget tyres on the front....

Now I never realised how much difference Hankook can make in the wet.

It understeers so bad I have had to cover a lesson with my pupils about understeer and how to correct it.

However...gota new game...all you need is...

Front wheel drive vehicle preferably with some umph (im using a 1.4tdci mk7 festa)

A wet roundabout

Budget front tyres

a relatively heavy right foot

Some brave steering

....and you have yourself a challenge to see if you can get full lock understeer whilst going round the roundabout.

Looks ace esp if you power off, tap brake, power on and exit, you can get a nice wiggle on! :lol:

If i want to try rally or race style driving i;ll do it on a racetrack, thanks.

No idea what you mean by "your pupils" - i presume you are some sort of instructor? If so i find your comments even more shocking.

As for having budget tyres, at any time this is a bad thing, as you rightly point out, they will suffer from poor grip, and if you are using this car to instruct people how to drive, then i fear for their safety and that of other roadusers. They don't need to be driving quick, a patch of diesel on a damp road will often catch out even the most experienced of drivers, and with the winter now fast approaching, i advise you to ditch those tyres and fit a premium brand quality tyre asap.

:)

Yeah, I know, I'm going to swop the front to rear,its seriously that bad.

Having Zetec S come through soon...much better tyres I hope!

Being a instructor doesnt make me a boring old man, but it certainly shouldnt shock you, we go through great training, I am also DIA and ROPSA advanced trained and do track days too.

Its always best to know what to do with understeer than panic when it happens and hit a tree!

Not happy tho tht they put budgets on, will be having words today.

It first happened on a really light right hand bend, and just turned in at like 35mph and nothing, turned more, still nothing.

So got to next roundabout to check the amount of understeer now occuring.\

Roundabout clear obviously!!

Piggy

However...gota new game...all you need is...

Front wheel drive vehicle preferably with some umph (im using a 1.4tdci mk7 festa)

A wet roundabout

Budget front tyres

a relatively heavy right foot

Some brave steering

....and you have yourself a challenge to see if you can get full lock understeer whilst going round the roundabout.

Looks ace esp if you power off, tap brake, power on and exit, you can get a nice wiggle on!

Damp Night - Check

FWD - Check

!Removed! Tyres - Check

Heavy Foot - Check

Bravery/Stupidity - Check

:D

On the topic of rubbish tyres ...

I find my Yokohama S drive tyres give a few scares in the wet :lol:

Anyone else have these?

I used to use Yokos, great in the dry, nice and warm quick...but do or die in the wet.

Never again!

I used to use Yokos, great in the dry, nice and warm quick...but do or die in the wet.

Never again!

:lol:

I am not the only one then.

Think my next set of tyres will be changing

Being a instructor doesnt make me a boring old man, but it certainly shouldnt shock you, we go through great training, I am also DIA and ROPSA advanced trained and do track days too.

Its always best to know what to do with understeer than panic when it happens and hit a tree!

Piggy

I’m sorry but I do kind of agree with FMC’s comments and speaking as another driving instructor the problem here is yes we all like to have a bit of fun and I’m sure you could handle a power slide – but should we really be suggesting members do that kind of thing on public roads? :unsure:

Many people can’t handle under-steer and to suggest they try to gain experience by doing such on a roundabout does surprise me a little and I think maybe it would be better to suggest they gain experience via a suitable instructor and maybe a skid pan rather than end up hitting a tree at the side of the roundabout. :(

oh man, what a bore.... :P

just a bit of fun dood, if i suggested running in front of lorries was fun, its others that decide wether to do it or not!

Just thought it be funny post, it happened by chance, and I thought, that be a fun 'game'.

Man, cheer up, its winter! gota find somthing nice to do with the weather!

Anyway, where you teach? You use your festa?

Piggy :)

oh man, what a bore.... :P

just a bit of fun dood, if i suggested running in front of lorries was fun, its others that decide wether to do it or not!

Just thought it be funny post, it happened by chance, and I thought, that be a fun 'game'.

Man, cheer up, its winter! gota find somthing nice to do with the weather!

Anyway, where you teach? You use your festa?

thank you for that

I sit amazed at your comments coming from an ADI.

If we all had a pound every time someone suffered an injury or worse because of another who thought it a “fun thing to do” we would all be a lot richer.

I agree with what your saying, only coz I know what you mean...

but for me its;

Be a prat...have an accident. (like doing a ton in a 94 1.1 punto, in the wet, with bald tyres, at night and flipping it...last week, main rd near me!)

Have some fun...enjoy driving like it should be enjoyed.

And I honestly think if people just took a little bit of time to go to an abandoned site to feel for understeer/oversteer then there would be less accidents, you can't predict it sometimes, no matter how carefully you drive.

Take it easy, but please enjoy...