Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Ka soaking wet driver's side footwell

Jcoventry

On my 2008 Ford Ka with just 6,000 miles from new, I noticed on Sunday while doing the weekly checks, that there is water underneath the carpet in the driver's footwell. If I press down on the carpet, lots of water comes up. It's been raining a lot here lately. The passenger's footwell is completely dry. All around the driver's door is dry, around the door seal is dry, carpet near the pedals is very dry. I can't really figure where all this water is coming from - looking underneath the car didn't help either.

Called the dealer, got it booked to go in on Wednesday. I asked if this is covered under the warranty, the service advisor wasn't sure - he said it probably isn't. Can anyone tell me if footwell leaks like this are covered? If not, then I really think Ford's warranty is the most useless thing ever printed on paper. :(

ha ha ha, what a loada bull. :rolleyes:

They will try n pull one, but you should by no means ever get water leaks in the car till they are lot older or they have a fault in the build.

Sounds like a drainage plug has either come loose/unsealed either in the footwell or bulkhead...have you gota sunroof?...they can leak on the floor often due to drainage pipes running down the A pillar...but not sure on the new KA.

Either way, they better sort it for free, blooming heck, dont let em charge ya!

Piggy :)

On my 2008 Ford Ka with just 6,000 miles from new, I noticed on Sunday while doing the weekly checks, that there is water underneath the carpet in the driver's footwell. If I press down on the carpet, lots of water comes up. It's been raining a lot here lately. The passenger's footwell is completely dry. All around the driver's door is dry, around the door seal is dry, carpet near the pedals is very dry. I can't really figure where all this water is coming from - looking underneath the car didn't help either.

Called the dealer, got it booked to go in on Wednesday. I asked if this is covered under the warranty, the service advisor wasn't sure - he said it probably isn't. Can anyone tell me if footwell leaks like this are covered? If not, then I really think Ford's warranty is the most useless thing ever printed on paper. :(

Hello.

I had the same problem last week , just bought daughter a 2001 ford ka, and now its all dry.here is what i did....

1, But a pair of heavy duty black rubber gloves.

2. Cut out a oblong about 6" to 8" long from the glove.

3. open the bonet, and remove the coolant expansion tank., with 8mm socket.( you can leave the hoses on )

4.were the water runs from the window onto the bulkhead there is a black flap which can be pulled out,( pull this out for now, ) you can feel a steel lip just ub=nder were this flap is, all you need to do is put a good bead of silacone sealant on the long edge of the rubber that you have cut from the glove(better if its black) , and now seal it to the underside of the lip.just above the drivers peddles on the engine side of the bulkhead.

This helps the rain run from the window and off the bulkhead, and on down the bulkhead were water can get inside the car.

Woked for me 100%

:D

• Like 2

Just a quick update. After searching on the net and calling another Ford dealer, I can definitely confirm that water leaks are NOT covered under the 2nd/3rd year of the warranty. I'm really !Removed! off and I definitely don't want the main dealer to fix it - I know they will want £200+ (having read similar stories on the Internet).

In response to hey44 - I might try that. I am also thinking of checking the pollen filter housing, as it might be leaking from there. I'm sure its not anything major - the car is still very new and has been looked after. Also, the amount of water under the carpet doesn't seem to be getting any worse. :huh:

In response to Piggy, no, no sunroof. And I'm glad too - sunroofs are notorious for leaking, and usually cause squeaking/vibrating noises which I seriously hate.

Thats rather disappointing from Ford, shame on them.

Well done Hey44, I was thinking along those lines, but not knowing the car and its faults did not know where to turn with it...should be that no doubt, its often all about where the water runs off, or SHOULD run off and ends up pooling somewhere then leaking in!

If you are really desperate, dry the carpet out, and the scuttle tray etc, then gently poor water over the area (windscreen etc) and have someone lying upside down in the footwell, with a torch, and try and see where its leaking in, also checking for pooling.

With all due respect, aint much in that area with a Ka, cannot be complicated!

Thinking about this more thoroughly, I am now thinking that the guys at the main Ford dealer didn't seal up the dash properly when putting it back in. The entire dashboard was removed at my request several months ago to solve various dashboard rattles/vibrations which were annoying the hell out of me. A bit of Googling indicates that this problem pretty much requires the dash to be taken out - I might be wrong of course, but this is what it seems like.

The weird thing is that I can't see any evidence that the water is coming through the dashboard - its all dry around the area thats wet. All the electrics on the car are working fine, another indication that its not where the water is coming through. :unsure:

dash shouldnt really affect the fault you have...the leak will be likely behind the dash, as in coming up behind the pedals.

The dash coming out shouldn't have affected it.

Have you cleared the scuttle of debris and leaves? That sometimes will block drainage and cause a leak!

dash shouldnt really affect the fault you have...the leak will be likely behind the dash, as in coming up behind the pedals.

The dash coming out shouldn't have affected it.

Have you cleared the scuttle of debris and leaves? That sometimes will block drainage and cause a leak!

I see, makes sense really. I clean the engine bay with care regularly - it still looks brand new, so definitely no leaves/debris.

Another update. Fixing the problem properly requires removing the front seats and entire carpet to dry it all out properly. Therefore, I am pursuing this with Ford. I have a case with Ford customer relations, and they are considering doing it as a gesture of goodwill. I have it booked in with a Ford service/MOT garage for Tuesday. I'll also be enquiring about the missing VIN plate in the engine bay.

Update: OK, so I brought my car into the garage this morning. They had a quick look and called me about 30 mins after I'd got home. I have authorised them to remove the dashboard, front seats, front carpet and scuttle panel to investigate the problem and dry out the carpet properly. I stressed the importance of them putting the dashboard back properly because it was removed before to fix rattles.

Another update. They've found a split in the bulkhead. They also think there's more than one leak because they found more carpet that was sodden.

Been thinking long and hard about what to do after its repaired, will probably keep my Ka and then start thinking about my next vehicle in a couple years time - something sensible like...a Toyota Auris! :o

Update: Ford has decided to pay 100% towards the repair. They didn't find any other problems, but are going to reseal around all the grommets. They are also going to fit new underlay. Should be ready for me on Monday.

Well, just as long as they refit the dash properly - it was removed and refitted before to solve rattles. If it rattles again, a Ford mechanic will die. :lol:

Got the car back today - seems like they did a good job. Took them longer than they thought previously because they had to remove a lot of things to fix the problem. I'm just happy they managed to solve it and refit everything correctly. Dashboard doesn't rattle at all! :D They also valeted the car - dashboard plastics look much darker now. I should really stop being lazy and clean it more often.

Got the car back today - seems like they did a good job. Took them longer than they thought previously because they had to remove a lot of things to fix the problem. I'm just happy they managed to solve it and refit everything correctly. Dashboard doesn't rattle at all! :D They also valeted the car - dashboard plastics look much darker now. I should really stop being lazy and clean it more often.

Hi, I noticed your posts and thought I'd jump on here as I've got a similar problem. The other morning I discovered the floor behind the passenger seat was soaking wet, it had been raining heavy the night before, so clearly there must be a leak, it's not rained for a couple of nights but the floor is still soaking wet because it hasn't been able to dry out, i think there must be a fault with the seals round the passenger door.

I've only had my Ka for about 5 months, it's a new style Ka, so I'm totally p***ed off cos this shouldn't be happening on a new car should it?! I'm really stressing about it! Does anyone know if this will be covered by the warranty? I'm worried because being a girl car people tend to talk to us like idiots but would like to know where I stand for when I take it in on Tuesday. As well as the faulty seal I'd like them to replace the carpet, free of charge, because it's going to start smelling stale soon with the stagnant water.

Can anyone help??

Amie07 - my Ka is the old shape. If yours is only 5 months old, then its within the 1st year of warranty and will be covered no problem. Carpet should definitely be replaced.

Amie07 - my Ka is the old shape. If yours is only 5 months old, then its within the 1st year of warranty and will be covered no problem. Carpet should definitely be replaced.

Hey thanks for the reassurance re the warranty, it seems to have got worse and now there's water at the front as well but only on the passenger side. Taking it in tomorrow so will see what they say...

I love my car but this has really spoiled my enjoyment of it! Had a 10 year old fiesta before I scrapped it in for this one and never had any probs with that, guess they don't build the newer cars as good!

Hey thanks for the reassurance re the warranty, it seems to have got worse and now there's water at the front as well but only on the passenger side. Taking it in tomorrow so will see what they say...

I love my car but this has really spoiled my enjoyment of it! Had a 10 year old fiesta before I scrapped it in for this one and never had any probs with that, guess they don't build the newer cars as good!

Hi again, took my Ka in today, have just had a call to say something on the door needs replacing but it'll take a couple of days to get parts etc. i said fine, however, i just thought i would ask them if the carpets would be replaced cos of all the water damage and was told by some snooty woman "ford don't replace carpets." based on what i've read on here i think she's pulling a fast one, she insisted all they do is valet the carpets, i said well if the carpets are stinking cos of all the water i will want them replacing and she just fobbed me off by saying 'well all i can do is ask technical support' but that she'd never known them to replace carpets! What a load of rubbish! this car is only !Removed! 5 months old! :angry:

Ask to talk to the Workshop Manager and then request that they replace the underlay (it's actually the soundproofing material underneath the carpet that you want replacing, if its sodden). The carpet should be removed and dried out by the workshop at your dealer. If they want to be stupid about it, follow it up with Ford customer relations.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club