Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange observation on drivers' habits

GaryPL

Hi all,

I have noticed that ever since I got my Fiesta, a lot of other drivers are less courteous towards me.

In my Corsa, I would occasionally get let out of side roads, or have another driver let me go, etc. But now, I'm literally never shown acts of kindness on the roads.

London drivers are a horrible breed at the best of times, so considerate drivers are rare anyway. But now, nice things never happen!

Anyone else notice this? Any theories?

My car does look a little more aggressive than before I guess, because it's black, has rear tinted windows and 17' alloys. But surely this is not enough to make me hated by other drivers?! Do the unknowing think I'm in an ST or something?

Ever since going from my old Saxo (urghh I know) to the Fiesta drivers have been more courteous towards me, especially fellow Fiestas :)

On the school run in rely on being let out, otherwise I'm not going to be going anywhere! I find drivers on the whole extremely courteous to me and my ST.

Top tip: always always say thank you otherwise they're unlikely to let you out again...

I think on the whole drivers are a lot less courteous now than even just a few years ago, and it will only get worse imo due to the fact that the pace of life is a lot quicker these days, everyone seems to be a rush these days and not just at "rush hour" or peak traffic periods.

I tend to drive fairly cautiously within the speed limits mostly and you generally get people tailgating/trying to overtake at all times of the day.

If your in that much of rush to get somewhere leave five mins earlier and have a less stressful journey is my general view.

As for the opening posters point, I also went form a corsa to fiesta (zetec s so quite sporty looking) and haven't noticed and change at all in being flashed out etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DieselPig said:

I always let Fords out, everyone else can wait :rolleyes:

Hey i do that,weird but if i see a ford pulling out i will let them go.

When i go past a corsa waiting i get that nice grin/smile.

Well i have to say people seem to want to race you more,in my corsa i didn't get that and my fiesta is just a normal Titanium.

Everybody these days is in a mad rush to nowhere important! Too many arrogant drivers about who think they are better than us common folk in fiesta's! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dave_k said:

I tend to drive fairly cautiously within the speed limits mostly and you generally get people tailgating/trying to overtake at all times of the day.

I'm the same! In a 30 I'll most likely be doing 28/29, same for other speed limits too, But get the odd driver who tailgates me then overtakes me and then brake-checks me just for holding him up despite being loads of vehicles in front with a 20 metre gap from the other cars. If one thing that bugs me is a line of vehicles all up each other bumpers all braking like nutters as others brake, this is how simple rear ending other vehicles happen! I read the road ahead and look for dangers and never have to bang on the brakes hard at traffic lights & junctions, only a week ago I saw three cars all bang into each other :rolleyes: I just looked ahead and overtook these prats safely.

• Like 1

I find I get let out MORE in the 'boy racer' ST than the Grandad spec Focus!  I think people see the stripes and think 'well I don't want that twit behind me', and see the Focus and assume it'll be a slow elderly person that they don't wanna get stuck behind. :laugh: 

I must admit, if traffic is fairly slow I'll let most people out when safe to do so, but when it's going at a decent rate I do tend to only let people out that are likely to maintain a decent speed! :whistling:  Of course it doesn't always follow...a couple of weeks ago I let out a chavved up Saxo with 4 young lads in it...that only managed 27mph round the 40mph town bypass...that was extremely frustrating and I could feel the evils from the car behind burning into the back of my head. :lol: 

Not gonna lie I do drive fast, probably faster than most on here would like, but not erratically and not slamming on the damn brakes all the time, in fact I rarely brake at all, the Focus handles surprisingly well for a heavy old lump, if I need to slow down I'll just let off the throttle or drop a gear.  But I can also read the road ahead...I'll take 2 or 3 of those 'snake-like' cars that would rather tailgate at 35mph than overtake, which is quite often round here!  Not sure if they think its safer to tailgate at 35 than overtake on a wide, clear road with visibility for miles...  :unsure:  I'll also overtake the people doing 'just' under the limit and braking at each corner, not to get any further but purely to give me a less stressful, smoother drive, it makes so much difference over a half hour B road drive!    

If I want to join the main drag from a side road, I wait until there's just a big enough gap and pretty much floor it. A look in the mirror and the guy I "cut-up" (not really) is way behind.

What really hisses me off is these *astards who don't know the rules about yellow crosshatch junctions. I often turn right where  the oncoming traffic has a turn-right lane and a straight-on lane.

My side has a turn-left lane and a straight-on lane, so, I assume a position in line with the oncoming turn-right lane so that folks behind me can go straight on without any obstruction. As an aside, I often get some dumbass wanting to turn right (like me) but blocks the road i.e, doesn't realise that I have him covered and hasn't the balls to get behind me.

Anyway, the lane on my right gets rammed due to lights lower down, i.e, those guys are going nowhere but 90 odd percent of'em refuse to keep the yellow hatching clear. One of these days i'm gonna need new glasses cos I usually tell'em to read the highway code whilst waiting for a chance to cross.

Scuse the essay.

On 29/09/2016 at 9:28 PM, dave_k said:

Apologies Dave, i don't tailgate, i just sit there fuming at the progress (or not) that i'm making. When I hit the road it's usually cos I wanna go somewhere rather than just wasting time until the wife has cooked the dinner. I'm quite capable of observing possible problems, kids running into the road, reflections in shop windows, speed cameras etc, it's all I do other than to speak to myself about what I see (which i'd recommend), a sometimes requirement of the IAM test. Pootling around at 30 thus not having to bother noticing speed limits (or the cops) is a PITA. Ideal for folks talking on the phone without getting nicked for speeding. Whom I also shout at through the open window.

I agree with what your saying and if the road is clear then yes we can make progress no problem. But the point I'm also making is that supposing the person lives in any sort of semi built-up area then nowadays there is always something, be it a cyclist, a bus, a learner driver, the bin trucks, delivery trucks and just the sheer increase in the volume of traffic that that will hold us all up.

So i'd rather have a relaxing drive and not stress out as opposed to tailgating and overtaking to maybe save a few seconds. Car ownership and the population is on the rise, so the problem is only going to get worse over the next say five years too.

You're right, Dave. A relaxing drive can be really enjoyable. You can imagine that the car is a rolls and drive it sedately, really good. Sometimes though, I fancy an adrenalin rush, like doing 80+ in a 60, in the wrong situation it's madness, so I don't do it in those circumstances.

Actually, talking your thoughts as you drive is a rush in itself. It's amazing what you notice, or maybe what you don't ;)

That kid is gonna run into that lump of earth, fall to his right, cause that 12 year old to come off his bike, fall onto that OAP who is gonna drop his Asda shopping bag and .............

You don't get that when you're talking to your passenger or on the phone :D