Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Soft brakes on 2007 Mondeo even after bleeding

Stephen O'Hara

Hi all. I have a 2007 Mondeo Titanium X which needed replacement brake pipes for MOT. A few days before going into the garage, the fluid light came on the dash. I topped up the fluid (it took a 500ml bottle) and the light went out. The brakes became extremely soft immediately - the pedal travelled all the way to the floor before braking, but there was just enough to stop the car. SInce it was due to go in in 2 days, I just didn't drive it until leaving it to the garage. 

The mechanic has now replaced the corroded brake pipes, and has bled the brakes several times over a very long evening, but the brake pedal is completely soft, and is not braking at all. It has him baffled (and me even more so) and I wondered if anyone had an idea of what was wrong, or what he should try next.

Many thanks

could be leaking slave cylinder in the bell housing :sad: 

1 hour ago, Stephen O'Hara said:

topped up the fluid (it took a 500ml bottle) and the light went out. The brakes became extremely soft immediately

It is almost certain that air has got into the abs. To bleed this unit fully, the full procedure uses an adapter connected to the diagnostic interface.

service procedure "ABS service bleed"  was added to Forscan for the Mondeo Mk4 (2007+) in version 2.1.20.

• Like 1