Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Witter Tow Bar problems

Bures

Just purchased a Witter F134a tow bar for my Fiesta Mk7 (1.25/14 reg)

I have fitted many tow bars to various cars in my time, but this has got me defeated and driving me nuts trying to figure out where I have gone wrong
(a) Side bars - Slide this into the Chassis rail and fix with bolt.
So I push in bar and fix to hole furthest away in chassis rail - found it and fixed
this should leave 2 external holes on which to fix the tow bar
But it has gone into the chassis rail so far only one hole is  accessible ( see side arm images)
Hole E  is now inside the Chassis rail

My immediate reaction, the bar is too short but thats ludicrous 

Looking at the Witter site, this is the correct tow bar for my model, The supplier P.J Jones has also confirmed I have to right component

So can anyone see what glaring mistakes I have made ?

Alan

side arm.jpg

side bar.jpg

Edited by Bures
schematic update

have you not got that bar in the wrong way round and upside down?

4 hours ago, iantt said:

have you not got that bar in the wrong way round and upside down?

Not Quite
On my schematic the fixing point E has now disappeared into the chassis rail,
If I pull it out to expose Fixing point E then F wont line up with the internal chassis rail hole
Its what they call a "conundrum"

take a photo of the bar so i can see, ive fitted a few.

do you have holes on both sides of the chassis rail, you could be lining the bar to the wrong side of chassis rail

4 hours ago, iantt said:

do you have holes on both sides of the chassis rail, you could be lining the bar to the wrong side of chassis rail

Only one side of chassis rail

The left hole is right behind the two fuel pipes making it a real pig to get inserted

4 hours ago, iantt said:

take a photo of the bar so i can see, ive fitted a few.

Either 2 x Hole F is fixed onto Chassis bar by bolt

(a)Total Lenght of side rail 43cm

(b)Distance between E and F = 29cm

(c)Distance between hole in chassis bar and the rear bodywork - 32cm

So as per my first image hole E is inaccessible as it now inside the Chassis bar by 3/4 cm

What the heck am I doing wrong
Like you I have fitted bars to Corsa, Puntos and other earlier Fords but I have never got stuck like this

side bar2.jpg

been a long time since doing one, so looking at a copy of instructions, does the actual tow bar have captive nut welded in where bolt g would through at hole e? ,  does holes e and captive nut attatched to f line up with holes in chassis rail even if e hole is hidden in chassis  rail.

i take it you have got the captive nuts that goes in f

looks like the actual towbar slots in to the chassis rail as well so you have hole d showing, e is hidden with bolt first going through chassis rail the e hole , sandwich plate, then towbar inc captive/ welded nut.

obviously f has 2 positions depending on model and distance between the 2 holes in chassis rail.

8 hours ago, iantt said:

been a long time since doing one, so looking at a copy of instructions, does the actual tow bar have captive nut welded in where bolt g would through at hole e? ,  does holes e and captive nut attatched to f line up with holes in chassis rail even if e hole is hidden in chassis  rail.

YES

i take it you have got the captive nuts that goes in f

YES

looks like the actual towbar slots in to the chassis rail as well so you have hole d showing, e is hidden with bolt first going through chassis rail the e hole , sandwich plate, then towbar inc captive/ welded nut.

What i think you are getting at, is hole E with its captive nut slid right into the chassis rail and is hidden
This is impossible as the bolt head + captive nut wont slide into the chassis rail as the combination is too wide
see image

Interesting the instructions refer to a singe hole at "F" but I have two, by the way either choice makes no difference
I am beginning to wonder if I have the correct spacer bars

Witter dont have a Help Line they direct you to the nearest Fitter for advice
Thats a 30mile round trip for me, but I may have to resort to that journey and go and see them

side bar.jpg

right side.jpg

DIMWIT here has solved the problem
Previously I had checked the chassis rail for holes
I only found the end hole
Today after using a wire brush to remove mud and debris I uncovered another hole which is designed to fit Bolt E
So with this uncovered hole to fit this additional bolt, the problem has been resolved

Looking at the schematic I was under the false illusion that the section D and E was eternal to the chassis rail
The instructions said tighten bolt F into Chassis rail - it would have been far better if it said fit Bolts E and F into Chassis rail

Anyway, thanks to all who took the trouble to leave their comments

TOPIC CLOSED

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old topic but how did u wire it?

I used a relay box on my Fiesta as I was worried about causing electrical issues. The worst part with using a relay box is the perm supply that will need to be run up from the fuse box on the PS to the boot. Other than that it is an easy job.

2 hours ago, Eatonm112 said:

I used a relay box on my Fiesta as I was worried about causing electrical issues. The worst part with using a relay box is the perm supply that will need to be run up from the fuse box on the PS to the boot. Other than that it is an easy job.

Cheers for that, did the fuse panel have to come out for it to be put in the backside or was it a fuse tap, as far as running the wire to the back I know that's not too difficult having done it for a reversing camera

16 hours ago, Neb_engineer said:

Cheers for that, did the fuse panel have to come out for it to be put in the backside or was it a fuse tap, as far as running the wire to the back I know that's not too difficult having done it for a reversing camera

I took my fuse box out so I could get to the wires on the back as I soldered a fuse holder to a main input from the battery.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club