Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remapping car insurance

Gaskell71

Love to get my car remapped but when it comes to insurance I'm very untrusting and have little interest in a broker for insurance.  After reading many complaints of these "broker" insurance companies.  I am really really trying to find a "direct" insurance company that would cover a remapped Diesel,  would anybody have an suggestions, at the minute I'm with Direct Line and they will not cover any mods whatso ever.   SO I'm I am really hoping that you guys can give some good suggestions.

15 hours ago, Gaskell71 said:

Love to get my car remapped but when it comes to insurance I'm very untrusting and have little interest in a broker for insurance.  After reading many complaints of these "broker" insurance companies.  I am really really trying to find a "direct" insurance company that would cover a remapped Diesel,  would anybody have an suggestions, at the minute I'm with Direct Line and they will not cover any mods whatso ever.   SO I'm I am really hoping that you guys can give some good suggestions.

Sorry but that is utter BS!

I am with DL and they covered me on my modded fiesta TX no worries at all 

The vast number of insurance companies don't cover mods, eg if you have to claim you don't get anything for the mods, but they should still be able to cover you for insurance.

10 hours ago, laumk7 said:

Thats really strange, was told by Direct Line no mods what so ever.  Factory fitted items yes, thats fine because it's standard but proper mods eg remaps, etc a big no.

When renewing at the end of October, I'll try again but.....

10 hours ago, m1tch said:

The vast number of insurance companies don't cover mods, eg if you have to claim you don't get anything for the mods, but they should still be able to cover you for insurance.

Yeah I understand that and to be honest would except that any parts that have been would down to myself to replace.  But to offer no cover for simple mods is just silly.

12 hours ago, Gaskell71 said:

Yeah I understand that and to be honest would except that any parts that have been would down to myself to replace.  But to offer no cover for simple mods is just silly.

I am with Admiral and have always found them (for me) to be cheapest especially with mods, they seem to allow some of the basic mods such as air filters, exhaust, suspension changes without too much of a premium hike - perhaps go through moneysupermarket or something, add on all the mods and see which company usually comes up. Other option is to chat to Adrian Flux who do modified car insurance.

I think thinks like air filters, exhausts, suspension, tinting etc are pretty standard, its only when you start to do mods that really do affect engine performance then some companies aren't happy to cover things. WIth most of the basic mods its just maxxing out the stock engine, whereas with a remap its pushing the engine higher than stock.

Admiral don't like remaps, they charge stupid amounts even for just a stage 1!  :sad:  However they do at least cover people with them.  BUT they don't cover intercooler changes though...definitely don't upgrade the intercooler and then try covering it... :whistling: :blush:  Daft thing was they covered the bigger turbo and +50bhp map, just not the IC! :laugh: 

Your age makes a difference to mods as well, a lot of companies seem to not allow mods to under 25s, but that's not written anywhere, its just something I've noticed when doing comparisons.

Although remaps are pretty common, its still difficult to get insurance with them, especially at a decent price.  My Focus has a stage 1 so is now 'too modded' for cheap generic insurance but not modded enough for a modified insurer. :dry:  I'll just buy a faster car next time, would've been cheaper in the long run.

Well its either going to be with Direct Line or broker :yucky:  Or even dropping that idea only time will tell.  Thank you for your help people, much appreciated. :winkiss:

Hi,

Whist we are an insurance broker I would be very happy to try and help out with your insurance.

Regards,

Dan.

Really don't trust brokers!! but then again although I would really love a remap,  maybe I should think about changing cars, why?  Well lets me honest its a turbo diesel that's 8 years old with 31k roughly on it.  SO I'm doing about 320 a month so might be betting to get something else.   Not sure what to do........

I go through a broker and am happy with the price. A mate used them recently and halved his on line quote.

Well spends several days looking and they all seem to be £500 with LV being £700.  Which u say is way to much to be paying, a remap virgin I shall have to remain. :wallbash::angry:

Tried Lv got a stupid quote

Greenlight insurance website crashes

Adrain rain /fluxdirect read far too many complaints

Brentacre never heard from again

but still got time to check other, please fell free to add suggestions until 27th October

• 1 year later...
On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:27 AM, TomsFocus said:

Admiral don't like remaps, they charge stupid amounts even for just a stage 1!  :sad:  However they do at least cover people with them.  BUT they don't cover intercooler changes though...definitely don't upgrade the intercooler and then try covering it... :whistling: :blush:  Daft thing was they covered the bigger turbo and +50bhp map, just not the IC! :laugh: 

I'm with them, might give em a ring before getting my car remapped, could be the deciding factor :rolleyes:

On 04/10/2016 at 9:27 AM, TomsFocus said:

Your age makes a difference to mods as well, a lot of companies seem to not allow mods to under 25s, but that's not written anywhere, its just something I've noticed when doing comparisons.

Although remaps are pretty common, its still difficult to get insurance with them, especially at a decent price.  My Focus has a stage 1 so is now 'too modded' for cheap generic insurance but not modded enough for a modified insurer. :dry:  I'll just buy a faster car next time, would've been cheaper in the long run.

I got charged £60 extra by Admiral for my remap from 115 to 150 (153 on my mates dyno few month ago :whistling1:)  I did get a bit of headache from them because it was over 25% increase though had to say I'll cancel lol.

Direct Line don't touch under 25's with mods almost at all depending on your area.

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, Ryan_Tango said:

I got charged £60 extra by Admiral for my remap from 115 to 150 (153 on my mates dyno few month ago :whistling1:)  I did get a bit of headache from them because it was over 25% increase though had to say I'll cancel lol.

Direct Line don't touch under 25's with mods almost at all depending on your area.

Admiral quoted me just over £40 and definitely no more than 20% increase or they won't touch it. Suppose it depends on who you talk to and possibly insurance history, only been driving since March 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2016 at 7:34 AM, laumk7 said:

That would be down to other factors - if you were 17 and have a Moss Side post code they would hang up the phone on you if you should try to insure mods.  The circumstances are such for some folk that they won't do it, where they will for others.

Never stay with the same insurance company if they put your premiums up. If they do, the first thing to do it go on a comparison site and get a general idea of what you might have to pay. Do this at least a month before your insurance is due. The closer to the date the worse the quote because they know you are under time pressure. If you get a better quote go back to the company you are with and ask if they will match the price. Generally for the second year they will, unless you have made a claim. Tesco even gave me an additional £50 voucher and extra Clubcard points to stay.

There are always first year discounts to be had especially if you agree to go on an auto renewal. The auto renewal can be cancelled at anytime and the company must send you a a new quotation before the year is up. Even with auto renewal you are under no obligation to stay.

If you can,  pay up front, otherwise you will be paying a stupid amount of interest on top of the premium which is in effect a loan.

Brokers can be good, but remember a substantial amount of your premium will go in their pocket as commission.

in the last four years my Insurance has not gone up either on my car or my van, in two of those years it actually came down. Average cost of insurance over 4 years, Focus £233, Commercial Van £221,  combined mileage per year 22,000.

i know younger drivers get fleeced but by shopping around you will still find a better deal.

Finally, declare the mods, whether it's non standard wheels or a remap. The insurance companies love a get out clause.