Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2007 2.0l TDCI Fuel tank removal

rg1642

Hi,

I am just about to get the fuel tank out to get to the fuel sender unit. So I look at the Haynes manual, lift the car, look underneath and there is an additional 'tak' of somesort betweem the tank and spare wheel well. It has pipes & wires going to it and I haven't a clue what it is. I have attached a couple of pics to see if anyone can identify it before I start work.

Thanks

WP_20161002_13_44_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20161002_13_44_32_Pro.jpg

Also it's an Estate. Dont know if that makes a difference :)

Oh. Wasn't even aware it had a DPF. LOL It's never regenerated. Or at least neither me or the wife have ever seen any lights saying it's regenerating. It's done 10,000 since we have had it as well.

I suppose there will be connections between that and the tank then to look out for when I take it out.

Thanks for that :)

yep, you can see the connector where you fill it in both photos. just under the red circle near the antiroll bar

Can you not get to the sender from an access panel underneath the rear bench seat?

Most cars have an access panel for that reason would be crazy to have to remove the tank to do it.

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

nope

Well that's a crappy design then lol mine better behave itself or it will be for the chop if it needs a sender replacing.

Got to agree it's a stupid design. Suppose i could cut a hole under the seat until I find it ;)

perhaps not LOL

seen that before on a mk1 focus, they had used tin snips, the coveref with a tea tray , then put seat back. did amuse me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rg1642 said:

Got to agree it's a stupid design. Suppose i could cut a hole under the seat until I find it

Crazy!

I was thinking of doing just that at one stage, before finding that Ford diesels do not have a tank pump.

It is quite easy to find, on my car there is a big hole (over 50mm, from a photo), with a rubber grommet in it, right over the sender unit.

But I was not planning to use a tea tray to cover it, maybe a nice bit of Ali sheet. On the other hand, I think I may have an old tea tray somewhere, perhaps I will retain it for future use wink.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I was thinking of doing just that at one stage, before finding that Ford diesels do not have a tank pump.

Or does it???? That's the whole point of me taking it out. I've seen pics of the sender unit on some 2.0l models with a pump built in. Some say it don't have one some say it has. I had small metal shards in the filter when I changed it and I want to find out where from. The car runs ok (8k since I changed filter) so I don't think it could be the main pump, so I want to make sure it's not coming from the tank. It will give me a chance to treat any rust under there at the same time anyway so it wont be a wasted time sort of job even if I don't find anything. :)

Well I just had Ford get back to me and it has a 'sender & pump assembly' listed. Surely Ford wouldn't get it wrong?

ive searched extensively on wiring diagrams for your vehicle and cannot see any reference to in tank fuel pump. also no reference to one in the mechanical procedures. the mechanical procedure call the petrol version " fuel pump module", the diesel " fuel sender unit".

I looked at replacement aftermarket parts, petrol £200 ish, diesel £100 ish.

The sender unit assy  contains an integral venturi pump., the returning fuel sucks up additional fuel into the housing. nothing electrical

I obvious stand to be corrected and eat humble pie if I am wrong. ha ha . ive just never seen an electrical pump when ive removed them,( normally when some numpty has filled up will petrol) not that I'm looking in particular.

if you remove the back seat and peel the grommet back you may see the connector and tank unit pins,se how may wires on connector and how many corresponding pins on tank unit

I agree the info on the internet is contradicting.

• Like 2

Well the tank is out, the sender out and I can categorically say there is NO PUMP in the tank. Haynes manual is wrong, Ford dealer is wrong. This leaves me with one problem  though. Where did the swarf in my fuel filter come from? The HP pump does not look new but it has run perfectly for 10,000 miles. Questions, questions.

34 minutes ago, rg1642 said:

Where did the swarf in my fuel filter come from?

I have heard quite a few comments linking swarf in the filter to fuel pump failure.

But as far as I can see on my car, the inlet to the filter comes straight from the tank, there is no re-circulation connection. So pump swarf would go into the tank, and tend to stay there, as it is heavy.

When you think about all the processes & movements that fuel goes through from refinery to filling station, I suspect there are plenty of sources of swarf & other general dirt, in that chain.

the fuel filter recircs the fuel when fuel temps are under 15c internally on the 1.8 , im glad i dont have to eat humble pie after all lol

the 2.0 does the same, but didnt know at what temp, just checkef and its the same

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club