Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coming to a grinding halt ... literally!

Linds

I have a 15 reg Mark 3.5 Focus 1.5 Tdci Titanium 5dr 6sp with about 25k on the clock (which I love ... nicest car I've driven and I say that having previously driven BMWs/Audis for 15 years).

I was pulling into an exceptionally tight car park space the other day and found I had to do some toing and froing (some of it at full lock) in order to get pointed into the space.  The parking space was clear and I drove in forwards.  At about the halfway point there was the most horrendous scraping / grinding noise ... it sounded like I was forcing the car over a high concrete kerb ... at the same time the car appeared to brake (I say "appeared" because I cannot promise I did not immediately brake the car because of the noise, but my remembrance is the car was slowing before my foot reached the brake).  I stopped the car, switched it off and looked underneath ... nothing.  I backed the car out of the space (no grinding or scraping) and had another look ... nothing.  I then got back into the car and drove it into the space with no problem.  I have not experienced the noise again ... so far.

I had to take the car into my dealer for its 25k service and explained what happened ... I told them I did not know what I had contacted with, but I had most certainly contacted with something.  I also said that the noise was so horrific that I must have damaged something.  They promised to look into the matter.

When I returned to pick my car up the service advisor (whom I had told my tale of woe in the morning) did not mention the issue!  When I asked her she said, "Oh! Yes. Nothing showed up" whatever that means!

Do any of you knowledgeable types have any idea what might have happened?

As an aside the dealer had carried out something called a "Visual Health Check" as part of the service which the car passed 100%.

Look forward to hearing from you.  

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Perhaps you was grinding the gears?

You may be right ... I may not have put the car properly into 1st and it jumped out causing the noise and, of course, the braking effect.  I definitely need to be certain in future I have properly engaged 1st!  Good point!!

At 25k you should check your gear oil level. Just to be on the safe side.

My old fiesta sometimes jumped out of reverse gear. Engine would make a weird noise and slow to a stop. Just be more firm when putting the gears in and you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the replies.  The gears on this car are so light and positive I think there is a tendency (in my case) to be a bit sloppy in their use so I will endeavour to ensure I am properly in gear every time from now on.  On the odd occasion I have ground gears in the past that is how it has sounded ... grinding cogs!  In the case of this car the noise is more akin to the world coming to an end! Horrendous!

1 hour ago, Linds said:

Thanks for the replies.  The gears on this car are so light and positive I think there is a tendency (in my case) to be a bit sloppy in their use so I will endeavour to ensure I am properly in gear every time from now on.  On the odd occasion I have ground gears in the past that is how it has sounded ... grinding cogs!  In the case of this car the noise is more akin to the world coming to an end! Horrendous!

Indeed they are! I came from a Fiesta and before that a Citreon Berlingo and in the Focus the gear changes are lovely and light but also fun when giving it the beans.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club