Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just been to an exhaust centre for just a rear pipe, is this correct what they are saying ?

The Joshua Tree

I've recently bought a used 2008 Ford Focus, it's a 1.8 petrol Titanium, generally the car is in nice condition, it just needed a few minor things doing which i knew about.

One of the jobs is to replace the rear end pipe on the exhaust, basically the exhaust support mount that goes into the rubber bush has come away from the exhaust. I got a price from a reputable exhaust centre which was £35 to change just the end pipe section inclusive of fitting, i thought fair enough i'll get that done.

While i was having it fitted the lad came over and said that i'd have to change the entire centre section at the same time due to the way Ford have designed the car, he said that you can't get access to undo the rear pipe because of the way it goes over the rear axle, he said their is no way to get in there to get it undone.

Basically they want another £254.00 to change the centre section which is fine on my car.

• Like 2

you can cut them and renew with a new two part one i think he is scamming you

Is it literally the last arm before after the back box?

Mine did this, two Jubilee Clips crossed over the arm and the tail pipe and one MOT later and all is well :)

An older exhaust probably won't take kindly to a weld, so just went for the clips, properly solid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jon84 said:

Is it literally the last arm before after the back box?

Mine did this, two Jubilee Clips crossed over the arm and the tail pipe and one MOT later and all is well :)

An older exhaust probably won't take kindly to a weld, so just went for the clips, properly solid.

i will second that

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Joshua Tree said:

Looks pretty descent on the plan anyways 👍

alot cheaper than custom and has additional pre-silencer lagging on the straight section will be quieter on motorway. 

I had a full T304 stainless steel duplex fitted for 390 never rust so the above price for half a mild steel is quite expensive 

Exhaust centre, without you even mentioning a company I go all shivery and fill with dredd. After a couple of bad experiences I either do it myself or go to a normal garage. 

• Like 1

First of all I admit I know next to nothing about this age and engine Focus, but if you can buy a short bit of pipe specifically for this model, surely that means the old one can be replaced? :unsure:

Even with a new middle section wouldn't you still need to join them? 

I think (Kwikfit by any chance?) are trying it on!!! 

I was in the local Ford main dealers today getting a few bits and pieces from the parts department, i asked the parts guy about this and he brought up the schematic exhaust diagram for my car, he seemed to agree with my thoughts that if a part is listed as a separate item then it can be fitted as a separate item.

He then nipped to the workshop and brought one of the mechanics to have a look at the exhaust diagram and to get his opinion on previous fits, the mechanic said that even though the diagram showed it as a separate part and Ford sell it as a separate part it's not recommended to try and fit just the end pipe. He said that the diagram would need to show a collar fitting in a small box at the side for you to be able to do this where the 2 are joined via the collar, he said that if you tried to fit a new section onto an older section you wouldn't be guaranteed an air tight fit due to the ageing metal of the older part being weathered and possibly having corrosion etc. He said that Ford recommend that you change the middle section at the same time as well.

That's a different reason that the exhaust place gave, they said they couldn't get at the join to separate them so i'd need to buy the middle section as well.

Theres a reason ECP's Klarius stuff is cheap though...  Never fit properly, baffles rattle and the box rusts out within a month. :laugh: 

Rob, what is the actual reason for changing it?  Is it just cosmetically rusty or is it blowing and an issue for MOT?  They are fitted in an odd way over the beam as the beam is fitted afterwards at the factory so it would need cutting off and welding which isn't always great with old metal. 

The rear hanger hook has come away from the end pipe, other than that the exhaust seems to perform fine.

20 minutes ago, The Joshua Tree said:

The rear hanger hook has come away from the end pipe, other than that the exhaust seems to perform fine.

As I posted before, just use a couple of large jubilee clips to strap the hanger against the Pipe. MOT Pass

Ah, in that case either do the above or just have it welded back on, much cheaper and easier option!

Obviously to try and weld it back on it would have to be done while the tail pipe is still on the car, isn't that a bit close to the fuel tank for comfort ?

Not really, the exhaust gets hot anyway and there's a heat shield above it, plus the hottest part of the welder should be on the exhaust, not wafted around uncontrollably lol.  It'll only take a few seconds to weld a bracket back on as well.

I can't see it being an issue but hopefully a welder on here will confirm whether I'm right or not.

• Like 1

If the original weld has rusted off, it's likely the pipe is now a bit more delicate and a weld might just break it. 

That's why I was suggested a hardware solution

Obviously Jon lol

One 3rd of the hanging mount is still on the exhaust, it doesn't give me a lot left to try and grab it with a jubilee clip, even if i could grab it it would be pulling up too much on the exhaust due to it being shorter which could put strain on the exhaust further back. If i could do it with a jubilee clip i would, i'm not so sure i can due to not having a lot of bar left to play with.

• Like 1

if you dont mind getting your hands dirty and scrambling under the car for a couple of hours , i'd go the DIY route and either fix or replace

the exhaust yourself , and save a shed load of cash in the process.

even fitting a new system requires a minimal toolkit , 

angle grinder , wire brush , big flat screwdriver and some exhaust paste and youre good to go  :-)

gloves , googles and dust mask will make the work slightly more comfortable to complete.

6 hours ago, The Joshua Tree said:

Obviously to try and weld it back on it would have to be done while the tail pipe is still on the car, isn't that a bit close to the fuel tank for comfort ?

As Tom says as long as the welder knows wot hes doing you should be ok, don't forget to disconnect the battery first,

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Not really, the exhaust gets hot anyway and there's a heat shield above it, plus the hottest part of the welder should be on the exhaust, not wafted around uncontrollably lol.  It'll only take a few seconds to weld a bracket back on as well.

I can't see it being an issue but hopefully a welder on here will confirm whether I'm right or not.

Yeap ur right Tom it will only take a few seconds to weld it back on, the problem is whether or not the metal is good enough and not rusty if it is you will end up with just a big hole and nothing to weld to

1 hour ago, The Joshua Tree said:

Obviously Jon lol

One 3rd of the hanging mount is still on the exhaust, it doesn't give me a lot left to try and grab it with a jubilee clip, even if i could grab it it would be pulling up too much on the exhaust due to it being shorter which could put strain on the exhaust further back. If i could do it with a jubilee clip i would, i'm not so sure i can due to not having a lot of bar left to play with.

if you've got a third of the hanger still attached  you could weld another piece to it to re hang it

some pics would maybe help 

(4got to say I'm a welder)

I would have taken a pic but i've dropped the car off at a garage earlier and it will be there overnight, it has a slight squeek from a cold start which disappears as soon as it's warmed up. The garage obviously needed to hear it from a cold start as it had gone by the time i had driven 2 miles to them, his first impressions were the aux belt.

They are also looking to see if the exhaust can be welded, if not i'll take a pic when it's back.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club