Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent start issue

Oligunner

Hi I having isues starting my 115bh tdci on 02 plate 

its as if it wants to turn over but doesn't want to fire at times. 

Ive had a plug in via a snap on machine and it pulled a code p1200  something to do with injector. 

Had leak off test done and 2 injectors seemed to be dumping slightly more fuel then the other 2 but it wasn't bad. 

Can these injectors be re coded as my mechanic thinks cant do it on these its just the mondeo ones that can. 

2 hours ago, Oligunner said:

Can these injectors be re coded

Hi Oliver,

Mk1 Focus uses the Delphi system, and the injectors on this are, I believe, coded into the pcm. It would need a system like FOrd IDS (at a garage) or Forscan (diy, from £15 to obtain) to recode the injectors.

But I would be a bit surprised if this was the problem. Usually it would start, but just run a bit rough if it was a calibration error.

I would look thoroughly at the fuel lines and fuel filter first, any air leaking in to the lines will cause bad starting. You are unlikely to see fuel leaking out as the lines to the pump are under suction. Perished or split hoses, poor rubber seals, including the filter seal, or clogged fuel filter could be the cause.

Then I would check the fuel rail pressure. Forscan can do this, not sure about Snap-On. Pump problems are the most likely cause (after lines & filter) of low pressure, though excess injector leak off could do it.

Seems as if its doing something different now. 

Instead of it turning over it seems to be sort of locking up when trying to turn over and sometimes as if starts to turn over then as if battery goes completely dead then all of a sudden it fires up. 

1 hour ago, Oligunner said:

Instead of it turning over it seems to be sort of locking up when trying to turn over and sometimes as if starts to turn over then as if battery goes completely dead then all of a sudden it fires up.

Starter motor solenoid?

Was it cranking (turning over) a bit sluggish before?

I had this a couple of times. First slow starting (not low battery), then it did half a turn or so & stopped, then it stopped trying altogether. I managed to get a new solenoid for about £22, but it took a lot of searching. Usually is means a new starter motor.

Testing for this is a bit tricky. First eliminate bad connections in all the heavy wiring. Then double check battery performance (voltage at terminals with headlights etc on), then monitor battery voltage while starting. If the voltage holds up at over 9v while the starter motor is on but not turning, then it will be the solenoid, or possibly the motor itself.

Testing a starter motor assembly off the car can be done, but must be done properly and carefully, it is a very powerful unit.

3 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Starter motor solenoid?

Was it cranking (turning over) a bit sluggish before?

I had this a couple of times. First slow starting (not low battery), then it did half a turn or so & stopped, then it stopped trying altogether. I managed to get a new solenoid for about £22, but it took a lot of searching. Usually is means a new starter motor.

Testing for this is a bit tricky. First eliminate bad connections in all the heavy wiring. Then double check battery performance (voltage at terminals with headlights etc on), then monitor battery voltage while starting. If the voltage holds up at over 9v while the starter motor is on but not turning, then it will be the solenoid, or possibly the motor itself.

Testing a starter motor assembly off the car can be done, but must be done properly and carefully, it is a very powerful unit.

That was my first thought too.

I remember back on the old MK3 Fez just giving the motor a gentle tap (read: whack it with a hammer) was enough to unstick a stuck starter!

• Like 1

Thats what i thaught it may have been originally the starter however after a plugin as i said it pulled a code p1200 (injectors) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oligunner said:

however after a plugin as i said it pulled a code p1200 (injectors) 

I can find very little about P1200. Sometimes it is called "Injector range performance", and sometimes " Injector Control Circuit". As it is not specific to a particular injector, it could be caused by low fuel rail pressure. And a poor solenoid could cause low fuel rail pressure.

Cranking speed should be 200rpm, and the fuel pump is designed to deliver sufficient pressure to start at this rpm. If the pump is even a little worn (on a 14 year old car this is quite possible), then the pressure may be low if cranking speed is low.

Your 2nd post sounded quite specific towards a starter / battery / cable problem.