Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk5 Mondeo Estate Tailgate Alignment

lphuk

Hi all

New to the forum and looking for a little advice.

After 6 years away from Mondeos (previously had a Mk3 1.8 Petrol and then an ST TDCI) I'm back in one. 2015 Titanium X estate with lots of extra toys. Think it was an ex-manager's / demo car as PDI done at Dagenham and only has 5k on the clock.

Anyway, very happy with the car but noticed the other day that the tailgate is out of alignment. The passenger side sits slightly proud and the gap between it and the body is bigger than on the driver's side. Looking at the hinges it seems like the passenger side one is slightly further forward (on the part fixed to the body) than the driver's side. No rattles, no leaks, closes fine and not rubbing on anything,  just not in line properly. No sign of any damage of anything being moved. Looks like it might have been like this form the factory.

Car was bought quite a distance from where I live. Went into my local dealer to inquire about service prices etc and mentioned the issue and asked would it be looked at under warranty. He said no, as it was over 12 months old and it wasn't purchased form them. They will take a look and charge me for the privilege. So it's this, or trek all the way back to the dealer I bought it form or have a look myself.

Not being averse to a bit of mechanicing I had a quick look at the setup and it seems that I would have to drop the head lining at the rear of the car to get to the bolt that attaches the hinge to the body. I'm presuming it does have a bolt (or nut) under there? Can anyone confirm? Just need the hinge loosening, pushing back about 2-3mm and then tightening up again.

Or do I go back to the dealer and try and push for it to be done under warranty? Do I stand any chance?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can offer.

• 1 year later...

Hi just wondering if you sorted this problem.. my bugger is exactly the same. Any advice be appreciated
Cheers
John

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I looked at a16000pound Mondeo estate and the tailgate was way out and all ford dealer ship said it's not toobad 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club