Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI tyre wear issue

bigshorty

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone can help me with possible causes I have with inner shoulder wear on the front tyres.

Earlier this year I got the wheel alignment (tracking) done because it was out, then the car went in for an MOT in March and passed with only one advisory, and that was both front suspension control arm inner bushes had slight play, so I got these replaced. I can't be sure of this, but it seems like since having these jobs done both the front tyres seem to be wearing quicker right on the inner shoulders. Tyre wear before this was even, as far as I could tell. After driving the inner shoulders of the tyres are noticeably warmer than the rest of the tyre tread. I've also noticed I seem to be getting a lot more road noise than usual, it sounds like I constant whine from 20 - 30 mph that increases in pitch with road speed, I didn't know if this info might be relevant.

Anyone know what could be causing the wear and road noise.

Any help, advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Your wheels are now 'toe out' and need re tracked. Chances are the the bushes were already worn when you had the tracking done and now the bushes are new it's thrown the tracking back out again!

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Your wheels are now 'toe out' and need re tracked. Chances are the the bushes were already worn when you had the tracking done and now the bushes are new it's thrown the tracking back out again!

Cheers for the reply Russ.

So only having to get the tracking done again should rectify the toe out issue and even out the tyre wear? Would this be the likely cause of the road noise as well?

4 minutes ago, bigshorty said:

Cheers for the reply Russ.

So only having to get the tracking done again should rectify the toe out issue and even out the tyre wear? Would this be the likely cause of the road noise as well?

you'd need the tracking done again to rectify the 'toe out' which must be bad if you can see wear already on the inner shoulders (I just had mine done for the same issue, almost bald on the inside yet about 3mm tread on the outside!). It should hopefully also quieten down the road noise a bit. I've found that when my tyres start to get down to the markers in the grooves that the tyres get noisier on the road which may be what your hearing if the inner shoulder has started to wear down to the markers.

11 hours ago, Russ said:

you'd need the tracking done again to rectify the 'toe out' which must be bad if you can see wear already on the inner shoulders (I just had mine done for the same issue, almost bald on the inside yet about 3mm tread on the outside!). It should hopefully also quieten down the road noise a bit. I've found that when my tyres start to get down to the markers in the grooves that the tyres get noisier on the road which may be what your hearing if the inner shoulder has started to wear down to the markers.

Thanks for the advice Russ. I'll get it booked in to get tracking done asap.

• Like 1

Any suspension work will affect the geometry of the wheels, therefore when any work like that is done it should be tracked again ASAP.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, simcor said:

Any suspension work will affect the geometry of the wheels, therefore when any work like that is done it should be tracked again ASAP.

Definitely something I didn't take into consideration when getting the bushes fitted, I won't make that mistake again. Got the car booked in tomorrow to get the tracking done.

Cheers for all the help.

On 11/10/2016 at 10:53 AM, simcor said:

Great comment, and confirmed by the mechanic who did my tracking, he noticed the new suspension bushes and said tracking must be done when new suspension parts are fitted. Car feels much better to drive and the road noise has quietened down significantly.

Cheers for all the help chaps, much appreciated!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club