Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What engine oil for a 1.8 petrol Titanium on a 2008 plate ?

The Joshua Tree

I'll probably have a few questions over the coming months as i've been away from Fords for a fair while so not sure what is what these days, hopefully i'll get upto speed fairly quick.

What engine oil would you recommend in a 1.8 petrol Titanium on a 2008 plate and what brand would you recommend, a couple of links would be good ? How much oil does the sump hold, just wondering how much i'd need to buy if it's a fresh fill.

I'm not sure what's in there at the min as ive only recently bought the car, would you recommend draining the other oil out, it's on the low side at the min so needs a top up anyway. If you recommend draining the current stuff is the sump plug easy to locate on the 1.8 petrol engine ?

Also what oil filter would you recommend for this engine ?

The 1.8/2.0 Duratec HE petrol engine requires a 5W30 engine oil which complies with the Ford wss-m2c913-c or wss-m2c913-d  specifications.

Personally I use the Ford Formula-F engine oil or the Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 engine oil.

How much oil will I need to buy for a fresh refill if I do a complete drain ?

9 hours ago, The Joshua Tree said:

How much oil will I need to buy for a fresh refill if I do a complete drain ?

it` snormally around 4ltr you`ll need for an oil change, not sure what type of filter your car will have on it, my old 2008 focus had the round metal filter on it (so I`m guessing yours would be the same) , once you get the car on ramps/jack you`ll soon see the filter from underneath, Castrol a5 oil is what you need, if you have a local asda store near you there doing the Castrol at £21 at the moment on offer. or wilko shops do this oil which to good 5ltr Mobil super 3000x1 form 5w30 £25

Andy

I needed to order some by the end of the afternoon so i went with a recommendation above and ordered 2 x 5 litres of  Ford Formula-F 5W30 Fully Synthetic, i presume that will be ok ? I just found out from you that i only need 4.5L, it's no prob i'll have a spare for next time.

I plan to have a go at changing it myself, is it ok to use the original sump plug again or should i get one from Ford's ? Also it ok to hand tighten the sump plug as i don't have a torque wrench in my tool kit. What oil filters are most using on here, if i nip into Ford's and get one of their stock ones would that be fine ?

6 hours ago, The Joshua Tree said:

Andy

I needed to order some by the end of the afternoon so i went with a recommendation above and ordered 2 x 5 litres of  Ford Formula-F 5W30 Fully Synthetic, i presume that will be ok ? I just found out from you that i only need 4.5L, it's no prob i'll have a spare for next time.

I plan to have a go at changing it myself, is it ok to use the original sump plug again or should i get one from Ford's ? Also it ok to hand tighten the sump plug as i don't have a torque wrench in my tool kit. What oil filters are most using on here, if i nip into Ford's and get one of their stock ones would that be fine ?

rob

you can never have too much oil, so you`ll have some ready for your next oil change next year now, I do my oil changes every 6months. oil plug will be fine no need to change. as for the oil filter have a quick look on eurocar parts site just pop your reg in and it will show you what your filter looks like. also eBay Is a good place to look as prices are better than going to the dealers. just tighten the sum-plug with the socket that you`ll use to loosen it

I used this 

Comma XTC5L 5L XTech Fully Synthetic 5W30 Motor oil

from amazon at  £18.85 I've had no problems, a lot of people have used this on different cars.

Use the spanner to tighten the nut, when it is tight, then just do a quarter turn. The filter can be hand tightened but to remove the filter you need a special tool.

I was reading up on the Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5w-30 which some have been recommending, i came across this post on a forum

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4742934

Read the post 3rd from bottom by Ayrshore, does what he say have any truth in it that this oil was developed for one very specific reason - to attempt to stop the Citroen/Peugeot TD17 2.7TDV6 engine used in Fords, Jaguars, Land Rovers and PSA group cars from destroying themselves due to their inherently defective design of big end bearings.

So it was designed specifically for that engine which is a Turbo Diesel, it's just a lot of people seem to use it on Focus petrol engines a and recommend it, forgive me if i'm missing something obvious as i'm not an expert on oils.

Is there any huge difference between the  Ford Formula-F 5W30 engine oil or the Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 engine oil that the average person would notice, is one better for your engine etc ?