Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3.5 Power Wing Mirror Issue

DJ_Andy_M

Car's going back to Ford next Monday for other electrical issues, however this week my drivers wing mirror has decided to die completely.

I can't make it go in or out electronically, and where I have done it manually since it's now completely out of line, so when it clicks as if its fully open, its actually not.

Also, the mirror controls themselves are unable to move the physical mirror bit its self on that side either.

Anything I can try in the meantime just to get the mirror to at least be useful because I can't see naff all other than my ugly face.

Sorry we can't help with the face. I hear clown masks are in fashion though :)

Has it format marks on the housing? Someone may have done a clip and run. 

To get it moved. Try the window down, move controls and press on the direction you want it to go. It will at least assist the gear mechanism to try moving into position. 

Also depending on bravery you could pull the glass out and see if anything obvious can be seen behind. 

It almost sounds like the connector to the mirror has become detached. Unclip the trim on the inside of the door over the tweeter. The mirror connector is behind the tweeter so if you can't see it you'll need to remove the tweeter.

3 hours ago, goldtail77 said:

Sorry we can't help with the face. I hear clown masks are in fashion though :)

Has it format marks on the housing? Someone may have done a clip and run. 

To get it moved. Try the window down, move controls and press on the direction you want it to go. It will at least assist the gear mechanism to try moving into position. 

Also depending on bravery you could pull the glass out and see if anything obvious can be seen behind. 

Haha, yeah. Need one of those ;)

There is no obvious markings to suggest a clip and run, and to be fair the mirrors are always folded in when I lock the car so they would have had to get pretty close! The mirror motor its self was fine until the housing motor started to act up. It was making some strange noises recently anyway. I had the mirror off last night, and there really is nothing obvious or accessible from behind that part.

3 hours ago, mjt said:

It almost sounds like the connector to the mirror has become detached. Unclip the trim on the inside of the door over the tweeter. The mirror connector is behind the tweeter so if you can't see it you'll need to remove the tweeter.

I did look at attempting that last night to be honest, but even if I get the connector back, i'll still have problems with the housing sitting too far inwards. I can move the mirror housing to roughly where it should be sat, but the slightest movement and it pops back. Its almost like the poll that the mirror housing sits on has slipped or something has become damaged inside that I can't see. On occasions you'll see a little bit of movement when I lock and and unlock but it doesn't align it by any stretch of the imagination. I'm thinking its going to be an entire wing mirror altogether.

Thanks both for your responses!

Well, took the panel off. Tweeter comes off with it anyway. The plug is solid in and not loose, nor is the connector in the door so that's alright.

I suspect something has failed inside along with the mechanism.

See the pictures... as you can quite clearly see something just isn't right.

IMG_20161012_182431757.jpg

IMG_20161012_182521888.jpg

20 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

On occasions you'll see a little bit of movement when I lock and and unlock but it doesn't align it by any stretch of the imagination.

Ok, that does suggest something's broken in the mechanism. I think you're right, it looks like you're going to need a new mirror or one from a breakers.

The mirror plate mechanism probably has a location switch to ensure it doesn't work until the housing is in the correct location. 

If you can get Ford to fixi it under warranty try. If not l'd be stripping the mirror down to either fix it or bypass any switches to fool some functionality back in. 

18 hours ago, goldtail77 said:

The mirror plate mechanism probably has a location switch to ensure it doesn't work until the housing is in the correct location. 

If you can get Ford to fixi it under warranty try. If not l'd be stripping the mirror down to either fix it or bypass any switches to fool some functionality back in. 

Must do. Did notice the passenger side has like a nipple underneath but the drivers side doesn't. They will fix it under warranty because they don't want me to start giving them hell :) I know the car hasn't been damaged by some fool because the thing folded out perfectly fine at the start of the journey but by the time I'd parked up it decided to give up the ghost.

On 13/10/2016 at 10:37 AM, mjt said:

Ok, that does suggest something's broken in the mechanism. I think you're right, it looks like you're going to need a new mirror or one from a breakers.

I'm hoping they will not be stubborn on warranty repairing it reference my comments above. I really don't want to be doing DIY on a 15 plate Focus already! Done enough of that on all of my previous Fords haha!

18 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Must do. Did notice the passenger side has like a nipple underneath but the drivers side doesn't. They will fix it under warranty because they don't want me to start giving them hell :) I know the car hasn't been damaged by some fool because the thing folded out perfectly fine at the start of the journey but by the time I'd parked up it decided to give up the ghost.

I'm hoping they will not be stubborn on warranty repairing it reference my comments above. I really don't want to be doing DIY on a 15 plate Focus already! Done enough of that on all of my previous Fords haha!

Good luck with the warranty claim. Hopefully they will see reason :) 

Car's been in today, the control board had failed and they've replaced the entire mirror. We'll see tomorrow if they charge me for it!

• Like 2

No charge. All done under warranty!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It just happened to mine today left side didn't fold back out and now can't use the directional mirror either. Poor design fords I feel let down. What do I do just force it outward so I can see???

While you guys are on the topic of power fold mirrors I'm just curious do you ever grease the folding parts of the mirror.

I've just bought a mk3 with power fold mirrors and they sound like they are struggling to open and close ,thinking of giving them a blast of spray grease 

From new the power fold mirrors are poorly lubricated. At the factory the mechanism is lubricated using a single dot of grease. This grease attracts dust and dirt, becomes hardened and after a while the lubrication properties of the grease will be completely gone.  

I lubricate the power folding mechanism every other year. To do this I take the mirrors apart completely and lubricate the mechanism using a dry lube product that is also used on bicycle chains. A dry lube product attracts less dust and dirt and forms a protective film which prevents the mechanism from freezing up during winter. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JW1982 said:

From new the power fold mirrors are poorly lubricated. At the factory the mechanism is lubricated using a single dot of grease. This grease attracts dust and dirt, becomes hardened and after a while the lubrication properties of the grease will be completely gone.  

I lubricate the power folding mechanism every other year. To do this I take the mirrors apart completely and lubricate the mechanism using a dry lube product that is also used on bicycle chains. A dry lube product attracts less dust and dirt and forms a protective film which prevents the mechanism from freezing up during winter. 

Yes definitely gonna have to do the same to mine they sound terrible like they are struggling and I doubt freezing weather is going to help them.

Are they easy enough to open up I haven't really had the time to have a proper look,is it just a case of popping the cover off and the mechanism is exposed?

Thanks 

21 hours ago, mikeyd1 said:

It just happened to mine today left side didn't fold back out and now can't use the directional mirror either. Poor design fords I feel let down. What do I do just force it outward so I can see???

If you can, apply outward force to the mirror and hope the motor grips by pushing unlock a few times. That's how I got mine out into a usable position for a couple of days. Certainly sounds like an identical issue to mine! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

If you can, apply outward force to the mirror and hope the motor grips by pushing unlock a few times. That's how I got mine out into a usable position for a couple of days. Certainly sounds like an identical issue to mine! 

Just done this so I can see now feels a bit floppy and still not working and the mirror is not working but puddle lamp and I factor repeter works fine.

5 hours ago, mikeyd1 said:

Just done this so I can see now feels a bit floppy and still not working and the mirror is not working but puddle lamp and I factor repeter works fine.

What I was finding is the floppiness would move or it would lock too far in or lock too far out depending on if the motor decided to try and work. I was constantly adjusting the mirror its self because the housing would decide to settle in a different place every time I unlocked the car. Get it to Ford as soon as you can is my best recommendation and if they want to kick up a stink about it refer them to this thread, and also refer them to Andover Ford service as they are who did my mirror for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

What I was finding is the floppiness would move or it would lock too far in or lock too far out depending on if the motor decided to try and work. I was constantly adjusting the mirror its self because the housing would decide to settle in a different place every time I unlocked the car. Get it to Ford as soon as you can is my best recommendation and if they want to kick up a stink about it refer them to this thread, and also refer them to Andover Ford Service as they are who did my mirror for me.

Just booked it in for next Tuesday. My mirror won't adjust at all. I thought power fold mirrors when I bought the car sweet. Now I'm thinking not so sweet lol

• 2 weeks later...

All done now it was the same fault as yours Andy m. All fixed under warranty.

• Like 1

Awesome. I'm thinking at this rate we're gonna need a common faults thread for the MK3.5!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Awesome. I'm thinking at this rate we're gonna need a common faults thread for the MK3.5!

Lol it seems it's getting that way

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have this same issue, anymore info on the 'control board' like a part number or location so I can fix it myself as my focus is out of warranty. Thankyou