Do Not Sell My Personal Information

N/S/F Tyre Keeps Spinning!!

jmurray01

Let me explain, in the dry the Focus performs great, no complaints, but the slightest bit of rain and it develops a very strange problem. 

All four tyres are Nokian WR G2 which have 3-4mm treads left, and in the dry they grip great, holding on no matter what corner you throw it into, but in the wet the N/S/F has no grip at all.  Pulling away with any amount of enthusiasm, such as at a busy junction or roundabout, is practically impossible without a lot of noise and not a lot of go!  The tyre just spins and spins unless you take it very gently.  Same accelerating up an incline or going round a sharp right bend, such as a roundabout, if you take it even slightly too fast the car just goes straight on regardless of your steering!! 

The 405 did this when it had the Roadstone tyres fitted, but the reason for that was clear as they were both severely worn and the loss of traction was equal between the N/S and O/S.

I'd understand if the brands were mixed, or they were at different stages in their life, but all four tyres are the same in terms of tread depth, all evenly worn and there is nothing to suggest they are at fault.  The pressures are all correct too of course.  If they were just crap tyres then surely the O/S/F would lose traction too? 

Are there any mechanical issues that could cause this, or is it just that the Nokian WR G2 tyres were hit and miss?

The tyres wouldn't happen to be directional and rolling backwards?

if not directional. Switch front wheels and see if the 'slip' switches sides. 

My Mk1.5 and Mk3 both had a tendency for the NSF to lose it. Especially one particular roundabout in Aberdeen.   Probably because the OSF had a large weight holding it down. 

37 minutes ago, goldtail77 said:

The tyres wouldn't happen to be directional and rolling backwards?

if not directional. Switch front wheels and see if the 'slip' switches sides. 

My Mk1.5 and Mk3 both had a tendency for the NSF to lose it. Especially one particular roundabout in Aberdeen.   Probably because the OSF had a large weight holding it down. 

That's a possibility!! :laugh:

I think I know the roundabout you mean, as there is one in particular that I always spin the tyre(s) at, regardless of the car or tyres. 

They are directional though, so no chance of swapping them over. 

I think I'll just put up with it and go easy until next year when I'll get four new tyres in spring before the MOT.

2 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

That's a possibility!! :laugh:

I think I know the roundabout you mean, as there is one in particular that I always spin the tyre(s) at, regardless of the car or tyres. 

They are directional though, so no chance of swapping them over. 

I think I'll just put up with it and go easy until next year when I'll get four new tyres in spring before the MOT.

Directional or not, you can try switching front to back, same side. 

The roundabout is the first one, heading south on Anderson Drive after the Haudagain. I hate it. 

12 hours ago, goldtail77 said:

Directional or not, you can try switching front to back, same side. 

The roundabout is the first one, heading south on Anderson Drive after the Haudagain. I hate it. 

I do believe that is the very one.  Of course, the road conditions don't help!  Having traveled to Edinburgh and back recently, I can safely say that Aberdeen still has the worst roads I've ever seen. 

Thinking about it, the previous owner lived in Portsoy and used the car to go back and forth to Aberdeen every day, so if anything has done the tyre in that'll be it!!

Something my be bent on that side (shock is the usual culprit) so the tyre isn't sitting perfectly flat on the road.  Is there any more wear inside than outside on that tyre?  You may have to look close for it, not always obvious.

Either that or you're just trying to pull out too quickly lol.

35 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Something my be bent on that side (shock is the usual culprit) so the tyre isn't sitting perfectly flat on the road.  Is there any more wear inside than outside on that tyre?  You may have to look close for it, not always obvious.

Either that or you're just trying to pull out too quickly lol.

Nope, did a thorough check of all four tyres for uneven wear and everything is perfect.  I was initially concerned because the steering wheel is squint so examined them in detail, but there is nothing amiss. 

I'm not pulling out too quickly, just the usual speed for busy roundabouts/junctions.  I'll give it another couple of months and see how it goes.  If it does get worse when the cold weather (and perhaps snow?) arrives then I'll just have to buy new tyres.  If it gets through the winter then it'll be due for new tyres around the MOT time in March anyway.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club