Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Short antenna replacement for Fiesta?

NQbbe

I seem to recall someone in here replacing their Fiesta antenna with a shorter model from the B-max. Can anyone confirm whether this works, and whether reception suffers from it ?

I dislike the look of the long stock antenna :-D

23 hours ago, lukespoor said:

no , it wont unfortunately , reception will suffer noticably , only this week end i returned my richbrook aerial to Halfords after just 2 days use.............

instead ive ordered this..........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261338365399?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

still half the length of the standard ford mast and a quarter of the price of the richbrook , awaiting delivery so cant comment on reception but should be much better

9 hours ago, biff55 said:

no , it wont unfortunately , reception will suffer noticably , only this week end i returned my richbrook aerial to halfords after just 2 days use.............

instead ive ordered this..........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261338365399?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

still half the length of the standard ford mast and a quarter of the price of the richbrook , awaiting delivery so cant comment on reception but should be much better

Must be your area then because I've used all 6 of the 6 stations I listen to on the new aerial and all are absolutely fine.

biff55 > Thanks for the update, I can tell people on amazon aren't entirely too happy about it either.

Please let me know how the one from eBay works out for you once you get it :-)

• Like 1

I binned my Ritchbrook 'antenna' after just a week :rolleyes: was just a mass of noise on my usual channels.... utter rubbish.

Not sure what is going on with all your aerials, my richbrook has been absolutely perfect :laugh:

No didn't work as good at all,had me one and lasted 1 day as i got so fed up with the reception,back to the normal one now.

Same one as on the listing on here,did hope it would of worked as it looked great but DAB was bad.

If you make the aerial shorter surely you would then need to boost the signal to maintain reception quality. Has anybody with poor reception quality tried a signal booster

On 10/17/2016 at 6:09 PM, NQbbe said:

biff55 > Thanks for the update, I can tell people on Amazon aren't entirely too happy about it either.

Please let me know how the one from ebay works out for you once you get it :-)

eBay aerial arrived today , works much better than richbrook item  :-)

18 hours ago, biff55 said:

ebay aerial arrived today , works much better than richbrook item  :-)

How much shorter is it than the standard one and is DAB as good like no change.

I havn't found a shorter antenna that is as good as the stock longer version yet.

Wish i could find one,got to be one out there.

i want a stub. dont use the radio. keep a usb dongle plugged in at all times. :)

Biff 55....how shorter is the aerial and does DAB work just as good as listing just says  AM/FM.

What needs to be considered here is that antenna lengths are matched to the frequency range.

If you reduce the length you effectively detune the antenna from the reception range of the radio.

If you want a shorter antenna you need one that has internally coiled wire that matches the required reception range.

Just fitting a shorter straight wire will produce poor reception.

Using an amplifier on a bad signal will merely amplify the error.

It's better to have a weak/good signal than a strong/bad signal.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

What needs to be considered here is that antenna lengths are matched to the frequency range.

If you reduce the length you effectively detune the antenna from the reception range of the radio.

If you want a shorter antenna you need one that has internally coiled wire that matches the required reception range.

Just fitting a shorter straight wire will produce poor reception.

You are exactly right, I was actually hoping to find a coiled antenna. My wife's Hyundai I10 has a very short coiled antenna (you can actually see the coils), and it works equally well as the one on my Fiesta.

Surely there must exist one for the Fiesta somewhere, the only question is who's the first to find one :-)

I will try my stubby Richmond again and see how hit and miss it is,is there a standard stubby off another ford like Focus/Mondeo etc with same radio fitted.

Would this solve the reception side being same radio.

On 10/21/2016 at 6:03 AM, jace1969 said:

Biff 55....how shorter is the aerial and does DAB work just as good as listing just says  AM/FM.

about half the length of the standard mast (  11 inches long compared to around 18" of the original ) 

dont have DAB so couldnt say.

it does look alot better and more modern though.

the problem in my mind with the focus / fiesta aerial set up is it being fitted to the front of the car at a really shallow angle to the roof that doesnt stick up in the air very much.

a rear mounted aerial fitted to a more upright angled base seems to get better reception with a much shorter mast.

it annoys the hell outta me but just have to live with it :-)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/22/2016 at 10:39 PM, JPilsworth said:

I know I'm a year late but has anyone seen this?

http://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/Mob/fiesta/2012/infotainment/other-infotainment-accessories/sport-antenna/2049615

I too hate the long antenna which is how found this thread

I’m 2 years late lol, on here for the same reason - that link doesn’t work now unfortunately:(

If you search for 2049615 on eBay there are quite a few for sale, around £15.00, have one on my Fiesta and reception has been the same as the standard long aerial

Chris

• Like 1

I fitted the short Richmond version to my Fiesta Zetec-S which didn't work at all, however the same aerial works perfect on my ST-3. Maybe the better Sony system helps?

Interesting - I thought the DAB antenna was in the windscreen with the GPS and such!  Puts me off changing as I too would like a shorter aerial (was one of the first "mods" I did to my Panda), but its not much use if the radio reception suffers so much.  Some sort of amplification might help but factory aerials are often already amplified :s (even on entry level Fiat's it turns out).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club