Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 TDCI 2011 - Diesel Cleaner?

skyking_comms

Hi, I have recently purchased a 2011 MK3 1.6 TDCI. I'm finding that it's very slow to pull away and judders  in first gear, but once in 2nd it's fine. 

It's got 64k on the clock and in it's early life was a rental vehicle. A really nice car to drive and so would like to try and make it quicker / smoother at pulling away.

Wondering if there's anything I can try or whether I could take it to a garage for some sort of diesel clean?

Thanks

Darren

Hi there,

New member here but thought i'd give you my thoughts.

The product I used was CleanDrive, it calls itself a Fuel System Cleaner / Emissions Reducer

amazon Link:

http://amzn.to/2euqCJV

I was recently made aware of this additive you put in fuel tank about once every 3 months. It claims to clean all injectors, manifold and the such. And for me it really did work...

My Focus was a bit sluggish when I first got it. I gave it my own service (oil, oil filter, ait filter) and then as I had just under 1/4 of a tank I put a whole bottle of CleanDrive in the tank.

After putting it into the fuel filler cap after the car has been fully warmed up you just drive normally for 6-10miles or more...

Then just drive as you normally would until near empty and then refill with Diesel as you would.

My car now feels like it has a rocket up its ****. This is after 300miles-ish after doing the cleaning so for me, the product works.

Anyone used CleanDrive themselves before??

Thanks for the info titaniumaqua - definitely interested in feedback from others

There was a software update to the pcm for poor running lower down the revs ESP when cold, may need that done, won't do any harm putting an injector cleaner in .

• Like 1

i usually get really good results with bg244 cleaner its a little bit more expensive but sort or recoup it by getting extra mpg over a few months.

I will take a look into bg244 cleaner - thanks!  I see there is also a BG 44 for petrol engines - I may try this in my wife's 2011 1.4 Fiesta!

With regards to the software update... does it have to be taken to a Ford garage? Guess it's not something they do free of charge?

• 1 month later...

Just to let people know that I used the BG244 and it made a small difference. I also used Shell V power fuel and drove the car hard through the gears which also made a small improvement. But tonight I got the fuel filter replaced and it's like a new car! No problems in 1st gear and pulls away smoothly. I now wonder whether the filter has ever been changed!

Car still goes in for an oil and filter change as I'm not sure if low ash oil was used before I purchased the car. I also found a ford garage that only charges £40 to check whether there is a software update available. It's worth shopping around.

Will ensure the oil / filter gets changed every 6k and Fuel Filter every 12.5k from now on...

Hope this helps someone else!

Some folk swear by SeaFoam which is widely available. There is a video on YouTube showing the results of using it. Other folk reckon Coca Cola although I cannot advocate this mnyself.

• 2 weeks later...

So just a few days after changing the fuel filter the car went sluggish again. But today the car went into Arden Ford in Stratford Upon Avon and there was a PCM update for it. It's now updated and I can say for sure that was the problem. There's no sudden jolt from 1st to 2nd gear and has no problems idling in traffic.

So if you have a 1.6 TDCI MK3 I would highly recommend ensuring the PCM update has been done. Ended up costing me £40 + VAT, but phone around Ford garages as there is a huge difference in prices!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club