Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Zetec S Ecoboost Mybluefin Remap Issue

rorygallagher2010

Hi
I have a 2013 Fiesta Zetec S Ecoboost 1.0 which I purchased earlier this year. It's been serviced and I've had no issues it with.

However I have since had my car remapped by mybluefin (http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make=9&fueltype=3&model=1&variant=2870) I have immediately started to experience an issue.

I have been driving with the car remapped for a few months now, and I'm not totally sure but I'd estimate I've done a 1000 miles with the remap, so for the most part it's fine.

The issue has occurred probably around 6 times, and the first time it happened was within a few days of applying the remap.

Each time it happens, I'm typically pulling away from the lights, I put it into second gear, put my foot down, and right as the turbo would normally kick in, the car doesn't accelerate, it just shudders and lurches and then slows down. It feels quite dramatic as the car lurches and I'd imagine it's pretty dangerous too. (If it happens on a motorway on-ramp I could be in trouble). If I try to accelerate, it will continue to shudder. The last time it happened I put it into third, and it continued to shudder, so I let the car slow down to a crawl, left it a few moments then gently applied acceleration again, the car seems to go back to normal. (Any time it has happened I have driven slowly and very carefully for the remainder of my journey). When it occurs there are no warning lights, and the next time I drive the car it will drive perfectly normally again.

Each time this has occurred, is usually after I have been driving a little spirited. Never nothing too dramatic, usually just putting my put down in 2nd or 3rd gear a handful of times.

I'm not too knowledgeable about the mechanics of the car but given the fact that the issue occurs just as the turbo kicks in, tells me that it's certainly an issue with the turbo. I understand the remap basically increases the turbo pressure, so it seems like the turbo in my car can't seem to handle it, or maybe it's overheating?

The solution to this issue might be to remove the remap, but that would be very disappointing as I really enjoy the way the car drives with it.

I'd welcome any opinions or suggestions!

is ìt a coincidence or not having the bluefin on, do you have the the bluefin handset to revert back to standard, then drive the vehicle the same as when you have issues? this will identify if the map is causing your issue or not.

7 minutes ago, iantt said:

is ìt a coincidence or not havinb the bluefin on, do you have the the bluefin handset to revert back to standard, then drive yhe vehicle the same as when you have issues? this will identify if the map is causing your issue or not.

Well I have driven the car for months without issues before the remap, and the issue first occurred days after the remap so it's unlikely to be a co-incidence.

That said, there's still a chance though. I still have the bluefin handset so I'll take the remap off for a while and see how it goes.

I've also sent a message to mybluefin, so will wait to hear their response. I reckon they will recommend taking the map off as well to see if it re-occurs.

yes they will , it may be the map has been not downloaded correctly, they are very quick to respond by email. ive had new maps resent to me , not for any running issues but after ford pcm updates a new map is required to match the new pcm update. they should respond by around 10am tommorow.

• Like 1

if it does continue after removing map, get a code reader to retrieve any dtcs. does the bluefin read dtcs? ive never bothered looking.

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

if it does continue after removing map, get a code reader to retrieve any dtcs. does the bluefin read dtcs? ive never bothered looking.

Ok, thanks!

Apparently the bluefin can read dtcs (for some cars - see (http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/helpdesk) so I'll have a look...

yes, i just checked the paperwork for my bluefin, that will be worth doing to see if there are any.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, iantt said:

yes, i just checked the paperwork for my bluefin, that will be worth doing to see if there are any.

Well I just plugged in the mybluefin device, pressed N for other, pressed Y to check DTCs and it told me there are none.

I then removed the map (Only took a few minutes) so will have a drive around, see if it happens over the next few weeks and report back!

Edit: Just had my first short drive without the remap and gave it plenty of revs once up to temperature. All well so far but will see how it goes.

It'd be a shame if I can't have confidence in the remap, as it makes a really nice difference to acceleration in all gears!

if it is a dodgey map then im sure bluefin will sort it out for you, ive had mine on my focus 1.0 100hp for nearly 2 years, 22k and no issues.

• Like 1

Rory

I found Superchips very helpful following an issue I had recently with my Bluefin remap regarding high exhaust emissions at MOT time. I called them and got through promptly to their technical assistance line. Basically removing the map and restoring to stock and then downloading and installing an updated map largely resolved the issue for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taeasz said:

Rory

I found Superchips very helpful following an issue I had recently with my Bluefin remap regarding high exhaust emissions at MOT time. I called them and got through promptly to their technical assistance line. Basically removing the map and restoring to stock and then downloading and installing an updated map largely resolved the issue for me.

Good to know, thanks!

They haven't responded to my message yet so giving them a ring tomorrow might be the best idea.

Well I rang them this morning and their suggestion was to try filling the car with premium unleaded. I'm not sure if there is anywhere near me that sells premium unleaded but I said that I would give that a go and see if the issue reoccurs. If it does continue, he advised to ring back and they would consider modifying the map (and make it a little slower basically).

I'm not convinced that premium unleaded will make the problem go away but I'm happy enough with their response and the fact that they would be willing to modify the map if the issue continues.

Putting premium unleaded will show if there's an issue with too much kr. This can cause boost to drop. If premium unleaded does fix it, then I would go back to bluefin and get them to tweak the map slightly so it will run on ordinary unleaded unless your happy putting premium in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iantt said:

Putting premium unleaded will show if there's an issue with too much kr. This can cause boost to drop. If premium unleaded does fix it, then I would go back to bluefin and get them to tweak the map slightly so it will run on ordinary unleaded unless your happy putting premium in.

Good suggestion, thanks.

I'm not sure there is many places near me (Belfast) which sell premium unleaded so actually I wouldn't be happy putting premium in. I'll give it a go anyway but I think I will go back and ask them to tweak the map.

At my local Texaco Premium is 95 and Supreme is 97, I wish they could make these things simpler for us all. Without them knowing something like that they could of told you to do what you've been doing, but you seem to have it sorted.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dfriel2 said:

Just wondering if there's an update on this one??

Nope, not yet.

I'm probably going to go back and ask them to modify my map but for now I will start using premium unleaded for a while like they asked me to (assuming I can get it near me), then I will observe to see if the issue crops up again with 2 tanks worth of premium. It'll be a while though, because I don't commute by car and therefore I don't actually drive that much.

Right now, I'm driving without the map (no issues :)) but I'm going to put it back on tomorrow.

I'm aware of a very similar problem on another fiesta with the bluefin, and when your case was mentioned to Superchips they stated that they have not had any other problems being reported with fiesta ecoboosts...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dfriel2 said:

I'm aware of a very similar problem on another fiesta with the bluefin, and when your case was mentioned to Superchips they stated that they have not had any other problems being reported with fiesta ecoboosts...

Interesting...

This is part of the response to the message that I had sent them: (I called them while I was waiting for a response)
"You are not the only person using this file. We have 13 other customers with identical cars using identical software that are not having this issue so it is highly unlikely to be purely file related." (Received 26th October)

20 hours ago, rorygallagher2010 said:

Interesting...

This is part of the response to the message that I had sent them: (I called them while I was waiting for a response)
"You are not the only person using this file. We have 13 other customers with identical cars using identical software that are not having this issue so it is highly unlikely to be purely file related." (Received 26th October)

Is your fiesta a 125 ecoboost??

14 hours ago, dfriel2 said:

Is your fiesta a 125 ecoboost??

Yes

I had an issue with my bluefin on a 2013 / 125ps Fiesta. it's would seem to not boost at full throttle and cruise control was affected. After a number of emails they offered to take a look at the car, I declined due to distance and returned the handset for a refund.

They too told me there were no other reported cases were clearly there were. very dissapointed with superchips and wouldn't go back to them now.

• Like 1

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2016-09-20/aaa-research-finds-people-waste-money-on-premium-gas

Interesting article that suggests that premium fuel is only useful in high compression engines. I make the assumption that the 140PS engine might benefit from them more so than the 125PS. Of course it might not be relevant in other fuel markets and I think the US measures octane ratings differently (their 87 is Euro 91 RON, etc). My point being that if the article is correct then the octane rating of the fuel should have little impact on the Bluefin tune.

I regularly use Thai 91 RON fuel in my 2014 1.0 Ecoboost 125PS and have not (yet) experienced any problems. My Bluefin tune is likely to be different from the UK one  though as the engine is a Euro 4 spec one.

• Like 1

I had an issue with my bluefin on a 2013 / 125ps Fiesta. it's would seem to not boost at full throttle and cruise control was affected. After a number of emails they offered to take a look at the car, I declined due to distance and returned the handset for a refund.

They too told me there were no other reported cases were clearly there were. very dissapointed with superchips and wouldn't go back to them now.

That's interesting, can you remember how long ago this was??

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Around may 2013 time I'd say.

The cruise control issue was weird. When it was set and was going up a hill it would just apply full throttle all the way to the top. As you can guess that was a little scary.

Other times it would hesitate when you asked for more power then give it all at once.

As you can guess this wasn't normal or acceptable hence the reason for returning the handset.

Since then I've been told all these problems have been addressed.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club