Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-Max Not Starting

AlkieDropout

Hello, I hope you can give me some advice as my 2.0TDi Zetec S-Max (59 Plate) refused to start this morning.

Hopefully these points might help: -

- It has been a little sluggish to start the last few days (put down to cold)
- 2 days ago i get an "Immobiliser Active" error on the display however the car started no problem - this cleared when I switched the engine off and restarted ... error never came back (assumed gremlin).
- Lights and radio all seem OK so think battery is OK (no kit to test voltage with)

When I try and start it all the internal lights flash i.e. both indicator lights and after a little while there is a single clunk

3 hours ago, AlkieDropout said:

When I try and start it all the internal lights flash i.e. both indicator lights and after a little while there is a single clunk

That sounds very much like the battery voltage is dropping badly when the starter motor is operated. A multimeter would be a very worthwhile investment, they are only a few pounds.

1st suspect is the heavy wiring between the battery and the starter motor and alternator. Including the earth connections from battery -ve to body and engine. Look for loose or corroded connections, and feel the cable near the crimps to see if they ar firm, or a bit floppy, indicating an internal break. Multiple start attempts may make a bad connection warm (or even hot!) to the touch.

2nd suspect is the battery. It may hold up with lights, but not have the current available for the starter. Measuring the voltage at the terminals with various loads (none, headlights, glowplugs, starter) would help diagnose this.

3rd suspect is the charging system allowing the battery to go flat. But if headlights are ok with engine off, this seems unlikely.

Thanks for the reply.

Luckily my dad has the stuff that I need (well he needs) to check the battery voltage and will come round tonight to have a look.

• Like 1