Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine fault light after new clutch fitted

amigadude

:(  keeps throwing an EGR fault saying the reading is out of range, the garage who fitted the clutch have reset a couple of times they seemed to think it was getting triggered by multiple stalls while the mechanic & I were getting used to the really low biting point, but I haven't stalled it once since the last reset.  Drove around for 10mins light stayed off, parked at my folks house, had a coffee and a chat... and the light was on when I restarted the car :(

Banged/broke a sensor or knocked the carbon deposits loose fitting the clutch is my wild and uneducated guess... opinions/guesses?

Edited by amigadude
fixing sum english bro... ;) again I might need more coffee...

47 minutes ago, amigadude said:

an EGR fault saying the reading is out of range,

It may be unrelated to the clutch. I changed a fuel filter a few years back, and when I got the car started the light came on with EGR code. When examined it had an internal electrical bad contact that had obviously developed over a long time. Just a coincidence that the starting efforts after the filter change had been the time when the fault got bad enough to put the light on. There had been slight symptoms before, little power fluctuations at times, so it had been on then blink for some time.

Unfortunately, I can not tell if your car has a basic vacuum operated EGR, or electric. Both options come up. The vacuum one just has a metal head connected by a tube to a solenoid valve somewhere. The electric one has a plastic head with a 5 pin electrical connector. First thing to check is the vacuum tube or connector. This could have been disturbed during the clutch change. I would also get a scanner if you have not got one. A basic, cheap OBD2 scanner like the U480 will read EGR codes. It is not practical to go to a garage every time the light comes on.

The next steps will depend on whether it is vacuum or electric (pics below), so please reply here if the fault persists (or if it is cured!)

1-4TDCI-Vacuum.jpg

1-4TDCI-electric.jpg

I think I might of found the problem... seems the mechanic forgot to re-attach 2 air/vacuum lines...20161020_120221-cropped_highlighted_resized.png

20161020_120137-cropped_highlighted_resized.pngthey should go to this thing between the battery and the back of the near side headlight.... got the garage to work out which one goes to where and reset the fault through obd.

Edited by amigadude
add facts and some english :)
  • Like 1

...and the light is back... just gonna get them to clean the egr for me... weather is too crap now for DIY mechanics without a garage...

...and they switched the lines around and reset the error...and it came back,,,

So I cleaned the EGR myself (It's the vacuum actuator type) and got them to reset the error... fingers crossed...

...and nope light is back on... FFS

• Like 1

20161020_120137-cropped_highlighted_resized.pngyeah! fixed it!! I was nosing around the engine compartment (routing the pipe for my boost gauge, dianostics only, gonna be behind the dash most of it's life) and near this doodat I found an electrical connector... anyways plugged... connected my new OBD2 wifi adapter and cleared the error... fixed! well so far no light....

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club