Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 tdci diesel pump

STEADS

Hi would anyone on here know if a 1.8 tdci diesel pump on a 2009 would need coding to the ecu .just put a replacement engine in with all ancillarys attached it will start but won't Rev and is billowing white smoke engine has only done 45k no fault codes appear.all help appreciated 

3 hours ago, STEADS said:

know if a 1.8 tdci diesel pump on a 2009 would need coding to the ecu

I have not seen any references anywhere about calibrating the pump to the ECU. Some reports say the Injectors have to be coded, but most reliable sources say this is not done for the Siemens / VDO injectors on the Mk2/2a. It may be needed to reset the knock sensor learnt values, this can be done using Forscan.

That seems unlikely to cause lots of white smoke. Water is one cause. There was one case of water in the intercooler, that took a long time to get rid of. Poor combustion, maybe low compression on one cylinder, could lead to unburnt fuel getting through.

Poor combustion due to very low fuel rail pressure (large fuel droplets) would usually give an error (DTC) for the low pressure. Forscan can read fuel rail pressures.

When I get it started Pete will post up fuel pressure kpa it ticks over but will not Rev at all just billows white smoke now mine is a 2008 build engine is out of a 2012 model new shape changed the engine wiring loom over from mine and also the turbo actuator as plug was different on that pumps have same part number just wondering now if injectors will need coding or change for my original ones 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, STEADS said:

mine is a 2008 build engine is out of a 2012 model new shape

I did not think the 2012 (Mk3 ?) Focus had the old 1.8TDCI (Lynx) engine. Or was it one of the last Mk2A versions? I assume it retained the same Siemens / VDO fuel system. But it is possible the injectors are a bit different.

When idling, does it sound ok, & run smoothly at 850rpm. Is it only when touching the throttle that the smoke starts, or does it do it at idle too?

The knock sensor is one possible difference. It seems that from 2009 on, this was not fitted. I think a 2008 pcm will use this.

I assume you are using the 2008 pcm? Changing that might be difficult, as it has to interface with several of the other electronic modules in the car, and the Mk3 electronic & bus systems are rather different, and the Mk2a has quite a few changes.

I also thought the 1.8 TDCI stopped as MK2.5.  Diesel for MK3 was 1.6 & 2.0 TDCI, MK3.5 now also has 1.5 TDCI.

Damian this is a 1.8 Kdda engine out of a 2012 model still having the problem ofit not firing correctly thinking now the injectors will need coding to ecu as that's the only thing that's different on the two engines apart from engine loom and turbo actuator that I've already changed anyone in Cheshire got ids or elm that could help would pay of course .

12 hours ago, STEADS said:

now the injectors will need coding to ecu as that's the only thing that's different on the two engines apart from engine loom and turbo actuator

Forscan can re-code injectors on most Fords where this is needed. But what they say about the Mk2 1.8TDCI is:

"Focus Mk2 1.8 TDCi has Siemens fuel equipment, that doesn't require injector coding. But if you replace ALL four injectors (not one or two but all four), Ford recommends to reset the Knock Sensor learned values."

So I am not sure that Injector recode is the problem. Have you checked that the Turbo actuator is in the right position (vanes fully open for starting and low throttle openings). And that the new engine has a knock sensor? Also that the EGR valve is closed (or blanked off). Then I would suspect a problem with another engine sensor, like the MAP or MAF. Forscan can quite easily read these. Or a problem with the fuel system: Pressure sensor, Pressure regulator valve, and flow regulator valve. As the accelerator is pressed, the fuel rail pressure should rise from its idling value.

For an ELM237 with USB interface that has been found to work with Forscan:

http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

Peter I've changed all for injectors for my original ones in same position looked at the egr that is free .the turbo actuator was changed for my original on as loom multi plug was different now how would I know what I'd the correct position when I had it started before had someone slightly Rev it whilst I felt the rod on the actuator didn't budge .where is the knock sensor situated ?.at one point it was hunting as if air was getting in somewhere I'm at a total loss at the mo and considering just selling it on as spares or repair it really is doing my head in .you would of thought replacement engine 45000 all auxiliarys put it in plug it up and away you go Na not this one I now it's not the head as it pressurises I've changed almost all the sensors for my original ones to rule those out .it throws up no fault codes when it does start but then that's hit and miss you can idle it for half an. Hour onmin then struggle to. Get it to idle the next totally stumped .

where is the knock sensor situated

It should be at the back of the engine, under the turbo. Under a heat shield. See pics below.

I have not seen if there is one on my car, mainly because I have not looked for it! All I can go on is the wiring diagrams, and eBay listings that quote it as a spare up till 2009.

It does sound like someting electrical / electronic is not connected, and the pcm sometimes gets the right signal sometimes not. Bit of a "son of unmarried parents" this one!

Changing engines was much easier in the pre-electronic days. But the pre-eletronic engines were pretty duff compared to many modern engines, really, at least in terms of performance & economy.

knock-s2.jpg

knock-s1.jpg

No knock sensor in that position peter on either engine the only loose connection I can see is from behind the oil cooler I'm assuming that this engine being out of a later model is either oil temp or oil level it really has got me baffled this one like you say rounds as if the ecu isn't getting something.

One thing I have noticed last night is that the turbo actuator looks to be in a different position to those I have seen on the likes of eBay by which I mean the part where the rod from the turbo connects is in the down position and those I look at onebay including new ones are in the up position sojust wondering if this is where the problem lies as when I first started it with the new engines original loom on it would come up turbo actuator fault so changed loom and actuator for mine sorted the fault code but like I mention it looks in the wrong position.

image.jpg

10 hours ago, STEADS said:

the turbo actuator looks to be in a different position to those I have seen on the likes of eBay

I was going to have a look at the actuator on my 1.8 today, while fitting a new reversing switch.

But the rain put paid to that, I did not want water in the engine bay. (Ok, I admit it, I did not fancy getting wet either!laugh.png)

Maybe tomorrow!

It would help peter if you could see what position yours is in at idle or off when I hook up my Delphi it's says turbo 100% then when you get it started goes to say 160% surely that's not correct should be 0% then upwards as it works ?

if you could see what position yours is in at idle or off

I just had a quick feel. I can't really see it at all!

The actuator crank seems to be up. On the mounting plate, there are two flanges, with a gap at the top corner. The crank pivot is nearest to that gap. When off, there is a little slop in the actuator. When idling, the actuator is stiff, but I can feel it responding a bit if pushed.

I tried to get a photo, but using the camera completely blind was tricky. These were the best I could do!blush.png

TU-ACT1.JPG

TU-ACT3.JPG

Mhmm mine seems to be the opposite to yours could be part of the problem I'll have another look in the morning 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club