• Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear

richy klark

Clunk after coming to a stop

Hi, I have a 2015 Focus 1.6TDCI with approx 14k miles on the clock; I have had the car for 3 months.

I have noticed a single clunk mechanical noise which occurs mainly when the car has come to a stop and is stationary; usually between 4 and 15 seconds after coming to a stop.

The engine can be running or off, in gear or out of gear, clutch in or out, brakes on or off, air con on or off; just a single audible clunk which can be felt through the pedals.

I have also noticed the noise at very slow speed after setting of from stationary; i.e. come to a stop, wait for a few seconds, set off then 'clunk'.

I suspect it may be the drive shaft sliding back home after moving under load whilst driving?

Otherwise car drives fine.

Anyone have any ideas, is this a characteristic, should I expect Ford to be able to fix it?

Regards, Richard.

10 minutes ago, goldtail77 said:

At a guess, Hill start assist disengaging/engaging. 

Goldtail, in my quest to isolate the problem have also de-activated the hill start assit. Regards, Richard.

Just now, richy klark said:

If only it were that simple!

Yeh i get ya it would be nice. I had a similer thing on old car brought to dealers to be told its forces on the suspension and is normal within tolerences. Had the car for another 2 years it never got any worser but peed me off everytime i heard it. Funny enough i get s clonk when reversing slowly when hitting the brakes