Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 headlight problem?

CraigT

Hi all.

I recently upgraded from a Mk2 to Mk3 Focus (1.6T Estate Titanium X) and I am loving all the new toys.

But I noticed the other night that one of the front lights doesn't appear to be working on the passenger side.  The light that doesn't light is the one labelled B in my attached diagram, which seems to be the main beam (top, centre-most).  So I got another bulb (H1 448) and finally fitted it today but it still doesn't come on.  At some point during my testing, the drivers side equivalent was working but only briefly - it would go out after few seconds.

Currently with the car running I get:

Light switch set to off (O) = Only the LED strip running lights are on. (A)
Light switch set to sidelights? = I still just have the running lights on. (A)
Light switch set to main beam = LED running lights plus the outer round lights. (A + D)
Light switch set to auto lights = Just the running lights (not surprising as it is day time) (A)

Can anyone help?  I presume light B should be on when the switch is set to main beam?  And C comes on when I go to full beam?
Where should I start looking?  Is it likely to be a fuse? Dodgy connector? Have I blown the drivers side light now?

Any help appreciated.

Focus Headlight.png

the light will come on when your turning corners and it`s not supposed to be on all the time, if you turn your steering wheel you`ll see it come to life

Are you saying that light B is the cornering light?  I thought it was D that might move for the corners.

That might explain things though. I will go out and take a look after the GP has finished.

Thanks for the reply.

B is for cornering and should also come on when you engage reverse.

To test it, with lights on auto at night turn ignition on but don't start car then engage reverse and check the cornering lights are lit.

Sent from my SM-G930F

30 minutes ago, CraigT said:

Are you saying that light B is the cornering light?  I thought it was D that might move for the corners.

That might explain things though. I will go out and take a look after the GP has finished.

Thanks for the reply.

yes it`s your cornering light, D is you main xeon bulb light.

Thanks Andy and Stoney.

It IS the cornering light and it does come on when I apply a bit of lock in each direction (nothing in the middle).  I'm guessing now that the original bulb didn't need changing.

I might look to get some brighter, purer white or more icy blue next time as the original and newly bought lights look a little yellow.

Thanks all.

Ps. The cornering lights didn't come on when engaging reverse (without the engine on) interestingly neither did the reverse lights.

Edited by CraigT
To add the Ps.

I changed my cornering bulbs for Osram Nightbreakers, match with my Zenons far better.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club