Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing spark plugs in Mk6.5

Gazjs

Easy task that can be done in driveway with little experience or best to leave to the garage?

If possible in driveway, what spark plugs are best?

Bump

:(

what engine is in your fiesta?

it should be very straight forward regardless, on the 1.25/1.4 engines you will need to remove the plastic airbox from the top of the engine IIRC.

as for best plugs, stick with genuine ford ones, these should only be 3-4 quid each including vat.

what engine is in your fiesta?

it should be very straight forward regardless, on the 1.25/1.4 engines you will need to remove the plastic airbox from the top of the engine IIRC.

as for best plugs, stick with genuine ford ones, these should only be 3-4 quid each including vat.

Unfortuanlty its just the baby 1.25 :lol: (Insurance purposes :() Thanks for the advice

I don't have the answer to your question, but the Haynes manual will, £15 from Amazon. It will prove valuable in the future for other simple repairs/maintenance work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiesta-Petrol-Dies...9198&sr=8-7

Great stuff, i may get one of these as it could well be handy in the future as you say.

Thanks also :D

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Haynes manuals, spit yuck euch! :lol:

Loada crap!

They are 'ok' for general advice, but do talk a lot of rubbish and sometimes have major mishaps/mistakes in them.

Do you have a spark plug socket? You will need one. Also a little ceramic grease, or copper grease if not, to go on threads of new plugs, ensure non gets on electrodes.

You start to thread new ones in with the socket, but no ratchet, so by hand on the extension, so as not to rek a thread.

Then tighten till tight with ratchet, till you get a bit what feels like a pinch from the thread, then give it an extra 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn. pop the HT lead back on, bingo.

Cant remember if the ht/coil pack is all one thing onthe mk6.5, but if it s individual leads, either mark them to the cylinder with some tipex or do one at a time so as not to mix them up.

Find a local motor factors, or if you must Halfords/Ford and give them the engine details/reg number and they will give you the correct plugs, already set to correct gap.

However they do box wrong sometimes, so when you remove the first sparkplug, check it against your new ones, not the make/number, but length, thread etc.

Enjoy a bad back, cupa T and new plugs!

Piggy :)

i must admit i sometimes reffer to the haynes manual when doing a big(ish) job just to back up my own thoughts on how its done, so yes it is a good idea depending on how you use it i would say. each to their own though :)

is there any chance you could post up a pic of the engine gaz? just to refresh my memory. your engine will have a coil pack and ht leads so you could mark them to make sure they go back on the correct plugs but if you dont its no big deal really. usually the length of them determines what lead goes where or the coil pack itself will have numbers on it.

if you are stuck and dont wont to pay a garage i would be willing to help you out if you wish as i have all the tools and gear needed. i believe you are from kdy anyway?

a quick check of autodata reveals that the plugs you need are as follows:-

Motorcraft (ford) - AYFS-22C with an electrode gap of 1.3mm or

NGK TR5A-10 with an electrode gap of 1.mm

where possible i usually tighten the plugs to the correct torque using a torque wrench just for piece of mind really, if you intend to do thise they should be tightened to 15Nm

Haynes manuals, spit yuck euch! :lol:

Loada crap!

They are 'ok' for general advice, but do talk a lot of rubbish and sometimes have major mishaps/mistakes in them.

Would you care to share with us what bad advice a Haynes manual gave you? Nothing matches them - online guides are usually brief, hard to find anyway, and usually don't have photos. Even if you get a garage to do the work, at least you can usually get an idea of whats causing a problem before taking it to a mechanic. Also gives you an idea of the complexity of a job, so you can get a rough idea of what you should be paying for a repair.

Nothing matches them, coz nothing wants to!

Being a man thats been in the trade and entered it thinking Haynes Manuals were the dogs...I was seriously knocked down a peg by very experienced mechanics when referring to the Haynes.

Seriously, no respect for Haynes from mechanics. Sorry. Get a proper manufacturers manual. Or grab Autodata for info and repair times.

Just dont want you guys relying on it and coming short one day :)

Piggy :)

PS by the way 15nm aint much, it is what they recommend, but I have had cars with compression issues coz 15nm dont compress the spark plug washer enough to seal the gap.

i must admit i sometimes reffer to the haynes manual when doing a big(ish) job just to back up my own thoughts on how its done, so yes it is a good idea depending on how you use it i would say. each to their own though :)

is there any chance you could post up a pic of the engine gaz? just to refresh my memory. your engine will have a coil pack and ht leads so you could mark them to make sure they go back on the correct plugs but if you dont its no big deal really. usually the length of them determines what lead goes where or the coil pack itself will have numbers on it.

if you are stuck and dont wont to pay a garage i would be willing to help you out if you wish as i have all the tools and gear needed. i believe you are from kdy anyway?

a quick check of autodata reveals that the plugs you need are as follows:-

Motorcraft (ford) - AYFS-22C with an electrode gap of 1.3mm or

NGK TR5A-10 with an electrode gap of 1.mm

where possible i usually tighten the plugs to the correct torque using a torque wrench just for piece of mind really, if you intend to do thise they should be tightened to 15Nm

Thanks very much for the detailed help.

If i fail in doing this i will give you a shout, would be great :D

do you drive around the prom in t reg focus btw?

Thanks very much for the detailed help.

If i fail in doing this i will give you a shout, would be great :D

do you drive around the prom in t reg focus btw?

not a problem mate i would gladly help out a fellow forum member where i can.

well ive not been down the prom in a couple of months but my focus is a 51 plate. i take it your down often?

oh, does your engine look like this...

fiestamk65125.jpg

That is exactly how it looks.

Wrong focus then :lol:

Go down most weekends when not busy,

Will keep an eye out for you

That is exactly how it looks.

Wrong focus then :lol:

Go down most weekends when not busy,

Will keep an eye out for you

i will maybe pop down on saturday night and keep a lookout for you :lol: those wheels look distinctive

that engine looks the same as the 1.4 IIRC and that horrible cover/airbox is really just bolted on here and there. disconnect the inlet and outlet to the airbox and then remove the airbox and it will reveal the ht leads

oh btw is there a reason you wish to change the plugs?

i will maybe pop down on saturday night and keep a lookout for you :lol: those wheels look distinctive

that engine looks the same as the 1.4 IIRC and that horrible cover/airbox is really just bolted on here and there. disconnect the inlet and outlet to the airbox and then remove the airbox and it will reveal the ht leads

oh btw is there a reason you wish to change the plugs?

The reason being, now covered 37 000 bought the car at 24 500 and don't think they have ever been changed and been informed that they should be changed every 30 000?

Ahh, Sat i will be out partying :lol:

The reason being, now covered 37 000 bought the car at 24 500 and don't think they have ever been changed and been informed that they should be changed every 30 000?

Ahh, Sat i will be out partying :lol:

ahh i see. if it has had a 'full service' then in theory they should have been done but the reality is alot of garages just miss them out as it means having to remove bits to get at them. dont want to name and shame but there is a particular garage in kdy that has a nasty habbit of missing the plugs, and its very close to partco and funnily enough they deal in alot of fords... 30k is probably about right really. i presume you get your car serviced at a garage?

what about friday then :P :lol:

ahh i see. if it has had a 'full service' then in theory they should have been done but the reality is alot of garages just miss them out as it means having to remove bits to get at them. dont want to name and shame but there is a particular garage in kdy that has a nasty habbit of missing the plugs, and its very close to partco and funnily enough they deal in alot of fords... 30k is probably about right really. i presume you get your car serviced at a garage?

what about friday then :P :lol:

I only bought it in march and was supposed to have had its service etc then. But it was bought at a place next to east end park :ph34r::lol: (Nothing but trouble with them since)

Next to partco - mums car went in for service, came out bashed :blink:

Al be down friday :lol:

I only bought it in march and was supposed to have had its service etc then. But it was bought at a place next to east end park :ph34r::lol: (Nothing but trouble with them since)

Next to partco - mums car went in for service, came out bashed :blink:

Al be down friday :lol:

oh i know the one, ford auto centre? was up that way today funnily enough.

i seriously hate the garage next to partco :lol: useless tw4ts. i think the incredible hulk works down there... my dad part exchanged for a zafira couple of years ago, come to service the car and i couldnt for the life of me get the oil filter or sump plug off! ended up with stilsons on the sump plug and removing the complete stub that screws into the engine to hold the filter! mental...

what sort of trouble you having with them?

There is nothing much wrong with them, a few times it takes a bit to start.

Just don't want to go out one cold morning and have to !Removed! about :lol: