Do Not Sell My Personal Information

loose exhaust help

steveb10

hi everyone.

im new on here just looking for some advice i was out on a drive tonight and was caught in sme traffic. i heard a noise from my exhaust and straight away knew it was either loose/broken bracket or a hole in it when i got home i looked under the car and noticed the bracket was brocken due to rust i also noticed a lot of rust on the under carrage of the car.

please see attached images any hekp on fixing and if anyone knows rough prices would be great

many thsnks

20161101_175433.jpg

20161101_175417.jpg

That is pretty standard corrosion, depending on the condition of the system a local garage may be able to fabricate a hanger for the exhaust or replace the rear section. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveb10 said:

noticed the bracket was brocken due to rust

Have a look (or poke with a screwdriver) at the silencer & other exhaust parts.

If it is a petrol engine, it probably won't be worth repairing, exhausts don't last long with petrol engines.

If it is diesel, and the silencer is sound, search eBay for "exhaust hanger". You will find loads of stainless steel universal brackets & hangers there, for about £9 to £15.

For underbody rust, easiest solution is slap some Waxoyl (or similar) on it. Needs doing each year though. Permanent cures are very hard to find or do. Most paints (including bitumen) just tend to crack away, seal water in, and make it worse in the long run. For bad rust, use Jenolite, Kurust or phosphoric acid (24%, same as Jenolite) to stabilise the rust first.

• Like 1

On 1 November 2016 at 10:46 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

Have a look (or poke with a screwdriver) at the silencer & other exhaust parts.

If it is a petrol engine, it probably won't be worth repairing, exhausts don't last long with petrol engines.

If it is diesel, and the silencer is sound, search Ebay for "exhaust hanger". You will find loads of stainless steel universal brackets & hangers there, for about £9 to £15.

For underbody rust, easiest solution is slap some Waxoyl (or similar) on it. Needs doing each year though. Permanent cures are very hard to find or do. Most paints (including bitumen) just tend to crack away, seal water in, and make it worse in the long run. For bad rust, use Jenolite, Kurust or phosphoric acid (24%, same as Jenolite) to stabilise the rust first.

If they don't last long, my brothers 2005 1.6 focus is still on the standard exhaust. I've fixed the rear hanger on it a couple of years ago, that's it. 

The exhaust looks terrible but it's still gas tight and secure. 

Mine did this in exactly the same place/way, the rest of the exhaust was fine.

Welding anything on given the age will probably just ruin or weaken the pipe.

I bought two large jubilee clips, and secured around the hanger and pipe, the clips crossing over each other. Totally secure now, and passed an MOT that week. Couple of quid fix

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club