Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Bulbs blowing on MK7 Fiesta

Martyn

Just so you all know...

My bulbs still haven't blown. (now at 19k & 7 months)

Shortly I will begin the process of procuring a spare bulb supply.

Will be getting the (allegedly) 80% brighter Philips Xtreme Power bulbs. (NON-Xenon)

I'm talking about these bulbs btw

I just fitted Osram Nightbreakers H1 and H7 if i remember correctly, got them off eBay brand new about £11 each so not bad like, I'll get a picture next time its dark when i checked to see if they were working once fitted they did seem brighter not sure about the alleged 90% brighter :huh:

Just changed my main and dipped beams most awkward bulb change ever!

Seriously i'll get some pics up, who ever decided it was practical to remove the whole unit to change a bulb needs shooting!

I've heard it just 2 screws and a clip? ive heard its a nice simple job? reading another topic on headlight changes?

I've heard it just 2 screws and a clip? ive heard its a nice simple job? reading another topic on headlight changes?

Its two screws and a retaining clip but the fact you have to remove the whole unit to change a bulb is so stupid! and also you have to assert pressure when you secure the unit back into the main clip at its base just dosent feel nice :blink:

Its two screws and a retaining clip but the fact you have to remove the whole unit to change a bulb is so stupid! and also you have to assert pressure when you secure the unit back into the main clip at its base just dosent feel nice :blink:

it gets easier the more you remove them, i had mine in out 6 times trying different bulbs by the end of it they were jumping back in themselves! :P

Just so you all know...

My bulbs still haven't blown. (now at 19k & 7 months)

Shortly I will begin the process of procuring a spare bulb supply.

Will be getting the (allegedly) 80% brighter Philips Xtreme Power bulbs. (NON-Xenon)

I'm talking about these bulbs btw

thats the ones i use jonny, nice bulb if there is such a thing! :P

thats the ones i use jonny, nice bulb if there is such a thing! :P

Nice one bigjock, cheers for that :) Are they noticably better? also how do they look from outside the car, do they look dodgy, coz I dont want to be attracting the coppers?

Nice one bigjock, cheers for that :) Are they noticably better? also how do they look from outside the car, do they look dodgy, coz I dont want to be attracting the coppers?

not dodgy in the slightest chief and they perform very well, much better in fact, like driving in daylight if im honest, really shows up the snow as brilliant white, like driving through a fairytale......, you get the picture right?

not dodgy in the slightest chief and they perform very well, much better in fact, like driving in daylight if im honest, really shows up the snow as brilliant white, like driving through a fairytale......, you get the picture right?

Cheers bigjock! Mind made up now! will put an order in shortly :)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

this is a known problem, it requires a resistor wire to we put in, as this is to to voltage surges, please see the TSB from ford below

© Ford Motor Company

All rights reserved.

This bulletin represents technical service information only.

Without exception all gratis repairs and replacements are subject to the

individual warranty and policy procedures of the supervisory Ford Company. The

illustrations, technical information, data and descriptive text in this issue,

to the best of our knowledge, were correct at the time of

publication.

Subject/Concern:

Blown headlamp bulbs on one or both headlamps

Model:

Fiesta 2008.75 (07/2008–)

Build Date: 21.07.2008-23.09.2009

Build Code: 8D-9C

Assembly Plant: Cologne

Fiesta 2008.75 (07/2008–)

Build Date: 12.01.2009-23.09.2009

Build Code: 9J-9C

Assembly Plant: Valencia

Kuga 2008.5 (02/2008–) - vehicles with conventional headlamps

only

Build Date: Up to 21.10.2010

Build Code: Up to AR

Assembly Plant:

Saarlouis

Summary

Should a customer express concern about repeated, blown headlamp bulbs on one

or both headlamps, the probable cause is a voltage spike in the electrical

vehicle system.

• NOTE: Fiesta 2008.75: It is not required to remove the headlamp

assembly on the right-hand side.

• NOTE: Kuga 2008.5: It is not required to remove the headlamp

assemblies completely.

To rectify this concern, an resistor wire should be installed on both

headlamps between the current electrical socket and the headlamp bulb H7.

Labor Times published in this TSB are available from 25.10.2010 onwards.

Please refresh your Labor Master file at that day to receive the new data in

your Dealer Management System. Please contact your internal system

administrator.

Parts Required

Description

Finis Code

Quantity

Resistor wire

1 715 479

Headlamp bulb H7

see FordEcat

-

Labor Time

Operation Description

Operation No. / Time

Resistor Wire Install On Both Headlamps - Fiesta 2008.75

Includes: Headlamp Assembly (Left-Hand Side) Remove And Install

710041C65

Resistor Wire Install On Both Headlamps - Kuga 2008.5

Includes: Loosen The Headlamp Assembly On Both Sides

710041C65

Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part:

ACES Condition Code:

OASIS

201200, 203200

Production Action

The resistor wire between the current electrical socket and the headlamp bulb

H7 has been installed in Cologne/Valencia production since 24.09.2009 (build

code 9C) and will be installed in Saarlouis production from 22.10.2010 (build

code AR) onwards.

service Instruction

See Summary.

Resistor Wire - Install (On Both Headlamps)

• Like 1

Now I know why I go through a set of bulbs every two months. Thought it was the auto lights and the length of time the lights are on that was shortening the life . :angry:

Anyone know the price of the Resistor wire ?

• Like 1

It should be covered by warranty

• Like 1

These are out of stock and on back order with Ford

Price is £10.31 each

• 1 year later...

Thanks to all for the information, recently bought a pair of resistor wires with Finis code above, for £24.38 all in, I fitted these along with a new set of Philips X-tremeVision+100% H7 to replace the blown PIAA Extreme White Plus.

I did not mind paying for the parts, as I had already carried out a couple of bulb changes/bulb upgrades following the very early information on here by bigjock (Thanks mate, your experiences of bulb changes on the MK7 helped me back then) nearly 2 years ago, anyway, just did not want any potential hassle with the dealer over this, my peace of mind is worth more than £24.38 Lol..

As long as this 'fix' works and the H7 bulbs last longer, I'm happy.

Thanks again to all that posted on this, would have never known about the 'fix' otherwise. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to Bring Up this Old Post...!! But..!!

My Passenger side H7 (Dipped Beam) Bulb has just Blown.!! I Have Osram Night Breaker bulbs Fitted since July 09.

I Think the bulbs have Lasted Fairly Well.... But..??

Reading old posts.. It appears My Fiesta was Built during the time Ford admitted to bulbs blowing possibly due to a voltage spike.

Members have suggested.. "To rectify this concern, an resistor wire (Finis Code 715 479 at £10.31each) should be installed on both

headlamps between the current electrical socket and the headlamp bulb H7".

As My Warranty has Expired.. I would like to Know is this the Correct Finis Code..?

& could Someone Please Show or Tell Me How these Resistor Wires are Fitted..?

Many Thanks.!

Members have suggested.. "To rectify this concern, a Resistor Wire (Finis Code 715 479 at £10.31each) should be installed on both

headlamps between the current electrical socket and the headlamp bulb H7".

As My Warranty has Expired.. I would like to Know is this the Correct Finis Code..?

& could Someone Please Show or Tell Me How these Resistor Wires are Fitted..?

Any Advice Anyone..?

Many Thanks.!

• 1 year later...

Dear Reader,

Please have patience and fortitude, my story below will take a minute or two to read. I really need good advice from anyone who has experience of taking on Ford with a technical fault that is clearly a design flaw...

I have arranged replacement tomorrow by my Ford local dealer (from whom I bought the new 58-plate Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCi) of the latest of several (dipped) headlamp bulbs that have blown since buying the car. bulbs in both headlamps have gone at different times, each time after only a few months of average UK use.

The last time I did this, after several previous replacements, for some of which I was charged, some kindly not, on dispiritedly taking it in again I was informed (politely as always) that Ford had come up with a 'fix' for the problem, caused as mentioned earlier in this thread, by voltage spikes. I arranged for the kits, consisting of a resistor 'choke' behind each bulb socket, to be fitted (for which again the dealer considerately waived charges, evidently valuing my patronage; the car was by that time out of warranty) simultaneously with the blown bulb, and drove away, hoping not to have to call again, for a reasonable period of time, anyway.

(BTW Although I have personally maintained a wide variety of vehicles for many years, I shied away from trying to replace the bulbs myself after looking at the very cramped space in which to work).

Now it's clear that the 'problem' hasn't been resolved by the 'fix' kit, as another bulb has blown after only a couple of months.

I have asked my dealer for a full list of the service events involving the bulb replacements, and for the fix kit installation, to document the history of this issue. It is clear to me, particularly now that I have learned that some Kuga models also suffer from the problem, that this fault arises from a design flaw in the car's electrical system, or perhaps the control unit. I imagine (but do not know for sure) that the control system software plays a part in the charging and lighting power functions of the car, so it seems logical to suggest that a software patch may be required.

I have no idea how Ford manage these issues, and I am well aware, this being the 6th nearly-new or new Ford that I have owned, that they are very reluctant to admit to faults in their products, so tackling the supplier head-on may be a wearisome and ultimately unproductive process. I hope to enlist my dealer's assistance in doing so, but I have no idea what are the chances of success.

This Fiesta was one of the early ones off the new production line, and it clearly carries at least one teething problem that has not yet been fully resolved - Ford's provision of the fix kit is an indication of their acknowledgement of the existence of the problem.

I want to find a way to stop this senseless waste of time and money, replacing expensive halogen bulbs that should not blow in their short lifetime. I want to find a way to get Ford to admit liability for the design flaw, and provide a proper solution; one that works, permanently.

Any advice that anyone can provide would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you.

Sam

Edited by Dock