Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3.5 Subwoofer Fitting

JamieSMcC

Hi all,

Bit of a help & advice and progress/guide topic. I'm hoping to fit an underseat subwoofer to my Focus ST. I originally purchased the parts to do this to my Fiesta ST, but since I traded it in the parts have been sitting gathering dust!

Parts:-

Pioneer TS-WX120A (http://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/Mob/focus/2014/infotainment/audio/subwoofer)

Connects2 CT10FD09 (http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT10FD09)

Vibe Deltabox Line Convertor (http://vibeaudio.co.uk/accessories/line-convertor/)

Mini Add-a-Fuse Adapters.

Plan:-

Following this guide 

My original plan for the Fiesta was to remove the stereo and use the Connects2 sound on top (SOT) lead to add in the Vibe Deltabox Line Convertor to save splicing into the main loom of the car. The Deltabox is a line Convertor and supplies its own remote (switched live) as it senses power from the car to switch on the amplifier. Then run remote and RCA to the subwoofer, and provide power to the amp from the fuse box using the piggyback fuse adapters.

I have made up the loom in preparation for the work but never got round to fitting it, and in the meantime I traded the car in! 

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

Having never properly seen the rear of the Sync2 unit, are the connections the same? In other words can I still use my makeshift loom?

Looking at photos from eBay I think I may be good to go!

Fiesta Sony Sync

IMG_2881.PNG

Focus Sync2

IMG_2880.PNG

Also, does anyone have a guide on how to remove the Sync2 unit?

Thoughts, advice and comments welcome 😊.

Jamie

Put it this way, good luck figuring it out once you remove it. The system was never designed to be modified in this way.

Might be worth scrapping the idea altogether and seeing if you can retrofit the Titanium X boot sub and enable it.

• Like 1

Ford offer the subwoofer on their accessories catalogue so would be interested to find out how they would go about fitting it themselves.

Thinking they would just tap into the speaker wiring at some point in the car. 

Does anyone have pictures of the Titanium X subwoofer? 

On 11/8/2016 at 6:15 PM, JamieSMcC said:

Ford offer the subwoofer on their accessories catalogue so would be interested to find out how they would go about fitting it themselves.

Thinking they would just tap into the speaker wiring at some point in the car. 

Does anyone have pictures of the Titanium X subwoofer? 

I'll get some pictures of mine when I get my car back tomorrow for you. There is a 4 or 6 pin loom that runs from the ACM/APIM to the subwoofer I believe.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Followimg looking at getting sub fitted when i get my focus in march

I'll keep you posted... another one of my ongoing projects :)

19 hours ago, JamieSMcC said:

I'll keep you posted... another one of my ongoing projects :)

Totally forgot to get that picture! I'll go out to my car now while there is some light!!

• Like 1

One sub-woofer. Surprisingly rattles my car to pieces.

IMG_20170206_133817.jpg

30 minutes ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

IMG_20170206_133817.jpg

Does it reduce your boot space ?

The Focus I've seen with a similar looking sub appear to raise the load floor by using thicker foam inserts under the load carpet.  I was surprised that the load floor  looked about 4" higher which is a lot in an already small boot. It doesn't mention the loss of space in the options list either.

2 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

IMG_20170206_133817.jpg

Strange, on my car it just act like a backfill. No punch at all. The door Speakers do all the bass. I do not hear it unless I set the fader to all back. Whats your eq and fader settings?

3 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

IMG_20170206_133817.jpg

Here's what I was trying to describe from a 2016 Ti X but yours looks different in terms of installation.

focus sub.jpg

Cheers for the photos. 

Think I'll be keeping an eye out on eBay for something similar. Not sure if the wiring will be in situ for it however. 

Wee update. 

Got a subwoofer on eBay for £9 as an experiment so will see how this goes.

However spent about 20 minutes going over the wiring schematics... 

• The Subwoofer has 4 wires. A DAB In, SW1 (-), SW2 (-), SW2 (+).
  • From the subwoofer these go to an Inline Connector (assuming this is just a mid point connector in the car).
  • From the Inline Connector the 4 wires go to a Premium Audio Connector at the rear of the Sync unit (think this is called the APIM/ACM)

I need to figure out if firstly my car has the wiring installed or tucked away for the subwoofer, and if it has the premium audio connector and finally if the Sync unit is configured to output signals to the premium audio connector.

To do that I'll need to take the Sync unit out (unless I find wiring tucked away) and even then I think my loom I made up would be better and less hassle as all my loom is effectively doing is splicing into the front speaker outputs without cutting into the main loom as I used a sound on top (SOT) lead.

Does anyone know if I can get to the connectors at the rear of the Sync unit without ripping most of the centre console out. 

• Like 1

Sounds cool i want to add the little underseat sub kenwoood one if i cant fot standard one and do it with out cuttin the loom in anyway

These subwoofers that Ford supply in their cars are total Rubbish.
You are best off fitting an Alpine 8" boxed sub in your boot as I did in my focus. I've a thread on here somewhere with photos.
The raised polystyrene bits in the boot don't take boot space much at all.
In my then focus with said sub in situ I could get my granddaughters pram in and 2 bags and a medium sized suitcase.
I also had a power amp installed to power upgraded door Speakers in the front. The amp lived under the boot floor in the raised bit (which I made using builder's insulation material shaped)
Don't waste your time effort or expense fiddling with fords subwoofer. You just won't get the results.

Anyone know what iso harness adapter ide need to make my own link in cable so i dont have to cut main loom for a 2016 titanium x with sync 3

I have an estate so I don't know if that has any bearing on the bass at all. I also find that having the parcel shelf open makes a massive difference. Also the carpet over the top of the sub seems to do something to the bass as well. Lifting it up with the sub in action has an adverse effect on the sound coming out of it.

On my EQ the bass is set to +3.

• 4 months later...

any updates on this? i was hoping to install the Pioneer TS-WX120A under the seat but looks as if it isn't as simple as plug and play as the accessory catalogue would have you believe.

also looking into the Pioneer TS-H 1703 door Speakers again from the accessory catalogue which look more plug and play than the sub, anyone installed these on a facelift focus?

• 4 years later...
On 2/6/2017 at 2:42 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

IMG_20170206_133817.jpg

Do you have a photo where the jack is? and the towing eye?

14 minutes ago, zaqik said:

Do you have a photo where the jack is? and the towing eye?

The jack is under the wheel and the towing eye like this.

image.thumb.png.9fe743138d706ab1e229ae95cb39bf78.png

Thanks. I meant in a car with a subwoofer: the towing eye is behind the rear seats, but where is the jack?

If you mean in a car with the raised boot floor, it is situated in the foam floor. Look at the top right in the picture earlier in this thread, it shows the Jack and wheel brace in situ. I can't remember where the towing eye is but I know I saw it in mine while I was looking in there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club