Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could a bad MAF or MAF wiring cause little or major fuel difference ?

Fastlife91

Not sure if it is the maf sensor itself but I know the wiring wants fixing, connectors have been used to add the donor wire but still has fault code p0101, which is MAF. my diagnostic shows a 0 reading for the MAF as well sometimes.

my question is, how much a difference could bad MAF make to a vehicles fuel consumption ?   percentages would help if possible.

thanks all so much

An out of spec Maf will either make the car underfuel or overfuel. it's it's overfilling then MPG will be worse and you would likely have black smoke. if it is under fuelling then the car would be lacking power and economy should be slightly better than normal as less fuel is being injected.

22 hours ago, simcor said:

An out of spec Maf will either make the car underfuel or overfuel. it's it's overfilling then MPG will be worse and you would likely have black smoke. if it is under fuelling then the car would be lacking power and economy should be slightly better than normal as less fuel is being injected.

hello.

main problem is after car has been parked overnight or for several hours , when you start the engine you have to wait for half a minute or so for the car to accelerate/respond, if you press the accelerator right away after it's been parked for several hours or overnight the car's rpm needle drops and car almost stalls, you have to wait a few seconds and then press the accelerator for it to respond because of the maf problem.

nope, not getting any black smoke out my exhaust, car does not really feel as though it is lacking power either. just plug in my handheld diagnostic scanner and it usually gives a 0 reading, I need to find the exact same bit of wiring /pigtail to connect to the existing wire.

I only seem to be getting 200 miles until the fuel gauge needle hits half way from full, that often includes several short motorway trips, the mpg statistics for my car are

urban- 39.2 mpg

extra urban - 64.2 mpg

combined - 52.3 mpg

but I only seems to be getting 200 miles with some motorway trips  when needle hits half way which = 41mpg  when urban alone should be 39.2 mpg

I have got 50- 60 mpg on almost 100% motorway journeys though

any ideas ?

thanks so much

I had a MAF issue when I used a panel filter - it covered the sensor with oil and caused the car to overfuel to protect its self - car would bog down, would require extra revs to get it moving and was a pig to drive but didn't have black smoke at the time of driving.

In the end I bought some electrical contact cleaner and very carefully sprayed it clean. Car took 10-20 miles to re-learn but was right as rain, if not better than before and MPG returned and effort to drive it was second to none. - perhaps try giving it a clean first or checking that its not damaged and plugged in correctly.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club