Do Not Sell My Personal Information

YOUR HELP APPRECIATED

Eirlys

We have a Ford Focus (2016) with built-in sat nav.

I would like to buy a dash cam for the car as a Christmas gift for my Other Half.

As a passenger I have noticed that large black section that "overhangs" the windscreen. Will this severely restrict where the dash can should be placed?

Will the sat nav be affected in any way?

Can you recommend a dash cam around £50-£60, please? My Other Half is not a techie so a basic model would be fine. I just want a safeguard!!

Yes it will, obviously the camera cannot see through the black masking so will have to be placed under it or to the side.

I bought one of these and they were so good I bought another for the rear, but they are quite discreet, record in 1080p 30fps, and it's exposure adjustment is very good. The design also means most of the camera can be hidden behind the masking with only the lens on show, just make sure it's within the wiper sweep. Make sure to get a good MicroSD card too I got a class 10 32Gb for around £10 so they don't break the bank either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-B40-PRO-Capacitor-Version-A118C-Novatek-96650-HD-1080P-Car-Dash-Camera-Video-/262534872944?hash=item3d204c3f70:g:hUcAAOSwIgNXjzJs

As for it interfering with the sat nav I'm not sure as I don't have one in my Fiesta. But in a month we are changing to a Focus with sat nav so I'm also interested in that but I personally can't see why it would interfere.

I've got the Transcend pro100 dash cam and it's very good.

amazon has got the pro200 on offer at the moment at the same price as the 100. 

The 200 was voted Best Buy by auto express a few years back. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-DrivePro-Video-Recorder-Built/dp/B00GRYT5QI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478461480&sr=1-2&keywords=transcend

11 hours ago, drsdriver said:

I've got the Transcend pro100 dash cam and it's very good.

Amazon has got the pro200 on offer at the moment at the same price as the 100. 

The 200 was voted Best Buy by auto express a few years back. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-DrivePro-Video-Recorder-Built/dp/B00GRYT5QI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478461480&sr=1-2&keywords=transcend

the prices are dropping so quick on dash cams for xmas it`s now only £79 at amazon for the pro 200 ;-)

I went for the smallest cam without a screen on,, 2 reasons,

the one's with screens look like a satnav and mine is hard-wired in so a smashed window and theft would have been an inevitable out come.

The other reason was with a screen i didn't want to be distracted while driving.

To get round mounting with no obstructions i made up a mount all in black like the camera and mounted it on the rearview mirror holder, from outside the car you cant see it at all.

this is where i got mine from, and also the hard wire kit.

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mobius-action-camera-dash-cam-version.html

dash%20cam%20mount%202_zpsv4ttdxhj.jpg

The screens on dash cams turn off when driving , so no distraction, all be it they stay on for about 3 minutes then it goes off. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for belated thanks.

The camera would need to be placed on the left hand side of our Ford Focus. I have read that the Nextbase 112 Car Dash Dashboard Video Camera 2" 720P HD DVR Cam can be attached magnetically which would do away with all the wiring. (OH is not techie-minded and possibly not 100% for a camera at all!!)  Does anyone here know of this camera, please? It is only around £45 so it's the right price!

Attached magnetically to what? The headlining is fabric and the screen is glass lol. I have the Nextbase 402g in my 2012 Focus and its mounted to the windscreen with the sucker mount provided. It sits to the left of the mirror stem and slightly below it. Maplins do a Nextbase wiring kit for it so it comes on and goes off with the ignition when wired into fuse f86 with the piggyback fuse supplied as opposed to being plugged into the lighter socket.

Yes, that had crossed my mind (!) but thought what a great idea if it was possible!

Ford Focus Titanium X

A glass magnet, definitely one for Dragons Den!:laugh:

The supplied sucker fitting kits work fine. Mine has only fallen off once on that one red hot day we had this summer. 

I believe one has to attach a sort of holder with double-sided tape . This must have a magnet  and the camera is attached to this.

I am trying to avoid a "difficult", unsightly  wired camera.

WES180: Mark me down as a glass magnet customer!!

• Like 1

QUOTE:  The powered ‘Click & Go’ screen mount is a new innovation which allows the camera to be permanently powered and easily removed if required. Utilising magnets and powered touch points, allowing the camera to be free from wires.

The mount can be powered with either the 12volt, 4-metre power cable with adapter (supplied) connected to an auxiliary power socket. Alternatively, the mount can be hard-wired by using a Hardwire Kit (optional) specifically designed to be used with the comprehensive range of Nextbase Dash Cams. UNQUOTE

http://www.drivn.co.uk/nextbase-112-dash-cam-review/

• Like 1

That sounds nice and easy. Now that the magnetic part makes sense I wont bother making a glass magnet now then!:laugh:

The hardwire kits that are available just save on having something permanently plugged into the 12v cigarette lighter socket and its all hidden out of view. Its still only a 10 minute job to wire it in, really easy. Or, just use the wiring supplied. Your choice.:smile:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club