Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remove Battery Without Setting Alarm Off

DanStimo

Hi,

I would like to charge the battery on my Focus Titanium X Estate 1.6L Ecoboost. It has key-less entry and lives in the car park outside of my flat. Now I have no issue (besides the awkward positioning) removing the battery, however the car needs to be locked while I take the battery up to the flat to charge. However, I am yet to find a way to lock the car before removing the battery without the alarm going off as soon as I remove a terminal from the battery. I have tried normal locking procedure, single press of the button, using the key inside the key fob and all of them result in the alarm going off when I remove the terminal. Locking the driver's door with the physical key after the battery is disconnected works, but it leaves the other three doors unlocked.

Does anyone know the correct procedure for this where I get the battery off to charge, whilst the car is secure and I don't end up severely upsetting the neighbours?

Cheers

4 minutes ago, DanStimo said:

Hi,

I would like to charge the battery on my Focus Titanium X Estate 1.6L Ecoboost. It has key-less entry and lives in the car park outside of my flat. Now I have no issue (besides the awkward positioning) removing the battery, however the car needs to be locked while I take the battery up to the flat to charge. However, I am yet to find a way to lock the car before removing the battery without the alarm going off as soon as I remove a terminal from the battery. I have tried normal locking procedure, single press of the button, using the key inside the key fob and all of them result in the alarm going off when I remove the terminal. Locking the driver's door with the physical key after the battery is disconnected works, but it leaves the other three doors unlocked.

Does anyone know the correct procedure for this where I get the battery off to charge, whilst the car is secure and I don't end up severely upsetting the neighbours?

Cheers

Can't you just take it on a long drive to charge it?

Other will correct, but maybe a cheap second battery to just run the locking and alarm?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jon84 said:

Can't you just take it on a long drive to charge it?

Other will correct, but maybe a cheap second battery to just run the locking and alarm?

Thanks for the quick reply. I could but that's not what I'm looking to do here. My driving tends to be fairly short journeys and at this time of year battery charge does take a hit so a decent charge will do it some good.

Lock the other 3 doors from inside then lock drivers door with key 

• Like 2

two thoughts from a fellow keyless owner:

Check if your 12v socket is permanent live or ignition live. if permanent get yourself a small solar panel and leave it plugged to yor 12v socket in all year round (make sure it has overcharge protection etc etc) I find it keeps the battery nicely topped up all year round and combats the drain from things like the keyless drawing power all the time.

Also, if you have a spare battery you can connect it (same as you would to jump start) to the terminals with jump leads. When you remove the car battery, the second battery maintains power without the car noticing and allows you to continue as normal (take huge care not to let any of the connectors touch during the process or removing or refitting the battery)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dennis the meance said:

Lock the other 3 doors from inside then lock drivers door with key 

There is no mechanism by which to lock the doors individually.

17 hours ago, TotallyTonto said:

two thoughts from a fellow keyless owner:

Check if your 12v socket is permanent live or ignition live. if permanent get yourself a small solar panel and leave it plugged to yor 12v socket in all year round (make sure it has overcharge protection etc etc) I find it keeps the battery nicely topped up all year round and combats the drain from things like the keyless drawing power all the time.

Also, if you have a spare battery you can connect it (same as you would to jump start) to the terminals with jump leads. When you remove the car battery, the second battery maintains power without the car noticing and allows you to continue as normal (take huge care not to let any of the connectors touch during the process or removing or refitting the battery)

The solar panel is an interesting idea, which I'll look into in the future but doesn't presently help with my issue.

I'm afraid a spare battery is an expensive luxury that I don't have.

33 minutes ago, DanStimo said:

There is no mechanism by which to lock the doors individually.

Aren't there manual lock buttons in the mk3?  Or push in the door handle or something?  I didn't realise they'd done away with internal locks! :unsure: 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Aren't there manual lock buttons in the mk3?  Or push in the door handle or something?  I didn't realise they'd done away with internal locks! :unsure: 

Thats what I was aiming for surely you can press internal door pull handles in then shut door and lock them 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dennis the meance said:

Thats what I was aiming for surely you can press internal door pull handles in then shut door and lock them 

I could also be remembering wrong but I there is a way to lock them in the Fiesta similar to how the child locks are turned on/off, surely it would be in the Focus too? Check your owners manual for Manual locking/unlocking of the doors.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffordstnation.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D6253&share_tid=6253&share_fid=45216&share_type=t
Keyless ignition, backup key blade & alt. starting/lock procedures if key fob is dead 

Does this work on yours a key slot in door panel itself 

If no Tapatalk installed just view on the web 

Edited by Dennis the meance
Missed text

3 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

On the mk3 / 3.5 there is only a lock/unlock button by the drivers side door release latch.

What happens if you crash while the doors are locked and loose electrics?  Presumably you're stuck in there unless you can break a window?  I thought manual locks were necessary on each door for safety, not sure I like the idea of not having them! :unsure: 

59 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What happens if you crash while the doors are locked and loose electrics?  Presumably you're stuck in there unless you can break a window?  I thought manual locks were necessary on each door for safety, not sure I like the idea of not having them! :unsure: 

The doors will open manually as double locking wouldn't have initialised in a crash.

• Like 1

Indeed, the locks will pop in the case of an impact but I'm certainly not going to test this function for anyone.

You can still open the doors normally from inside, the switch just stops someone pulling them open from outside.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Read the manual. You lock the non drivers doors individually by using the key in a small slot while are open

• Like 2

On 09/11/2016 at 1:47 PM, Dennis the meance said:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffordstnation.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D6253&share_tid=6253&share_fid=45216&share_type=t
Keyless ignition, backup key blade & alt. starting/lock procedures if key fob is dead 

Does this work on yours a key slot in door panel itself 

If no Tapatalk installed just view on the web 

This looks exactly like what I was looking for. I will give it a crack at the weekend and report back. Thanks.

• Like 1

Is the alarm sounding when you disconnect the battery because you have locked the doors already and the car thinks someone is breaking into it because the bonnet is up? If so then  couldn't you remove the battery with the car unlocked, place jump leads on the cars terminals and feed out and under the car through the engine bay, connect the jump leads to the battery that is now sat beside the car, close the bonnet and lock the car with the remote, disconnect the leads from the battery and then tuck them up in the engine bay out of the way. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the answer was in the link below. I left the car unlocked, removed the battery and then used the mechanisms pictured inside the door (in the end of the door) to lock the three passenger doors individually. I then finally locked the driver's door with the key from inside the fob.

Thanks for all of the contributions!

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-general-discussion/6253-keyless-ignition-backup-key-blade-alt-starting-lock-procedures-if-key-fob-dead.html

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club