Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Misfire Focus - HELP

A18NHH

Good evening all,

I'll try and keep this short and to the point but if i do miss out any vital information just shout :)

I have a 2005 Ford Focus GHIA 1.6

Recently my EML came on relating to a misfire. I had a diagnostic on the car that came back with P0302 (Misfire on cylinder two)

Being the cheapest option i replaced the spark plus but to no avail - a garage then told me it would be the Coil pack and/or HT leads so these were also changed....again to no avail.

They have now said it could possibly be an injector issue or possibly cylinder or piston issue....bring it bac next week so they can look properly.

On getting the car back tonight though i decided to do another diagnostics though and since the new plugs, leads and coil pack i now get P0304 and NOT P0302...i, struggling to see how changing these items could possible make a different cylinder misfire? I'm stuck for thoughts...so any help or comment appreciated.

16 hours ago, A18NHH said:

i now get P0304 and NOT P0302.

Very useful DTCs. Keep checking, see if any others come up. Do not clear the codes if it is going to the garage in the near future, though. Keep a written record to show to the garage.

If it is not specific to a cylinder, that changes the search a bit. On the ignition side, the power wire to the coil pack is common to all cylinders. It goes via F34 in the engine fuse box, and various connectors, so intermittent faults are possible. There is one (or two on Ti-VCT) knock sensor(s) on the engine that play a part in detecting and avoiding knock & misfires.

Then the various sensors that control air / fuel mix are common: Air temp / MAP, O2 sensors, coolant temp. 

It makes valve & piston & injector problems seem less likely.

And there are simpler things: battery condition, and its wires & connections. Fuel filter. Maybe even air filter.

If you're on a VCT Ti I believe there some some issues with the Coil Pack loom, there is a company that makes a replacement section of loom:

http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?16378-Ford-Focus-misfire-faulty-wiring-into-coil/page2

https://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.php/ford_sensor_connector_3_way_with_wire_tails_300mm_fp/?k=:::6451707

Also worth checking for water in the spark plug wells

• 4 years later...

2006 2.0 duratecHaving a misfire also. New plugs, coils. 

And still has a miss. But when i take the over drive off it clears up. Put in 103 copper core Autolite gapped at .055. This is driving me up a wall, the only other resolve is injectors. Any suggestions . Other than continue to throw parts at it. 

7 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

2006 2.0 duratecHaving a misfire also. New plugs, coils. 

And still has a miss. But when i take the over drive off it clears up. Put in 103 copper core Autolite gapped at .055. This is driving me up a wall, the only other resolve is injectors. Any suggestions . Other than continue to throw parts at it.