Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine replacement (getting enough height)

Coll659

Hi all

New to here but hoping someone could offer up some advice on a potential engine replacement.

It looks like my engine needs to be refurbished/replaced. I was wondering about getting a refurbished engine and replacing it my self.

I'm reading through the Haynes manual and it says you need 700mm of clearance under the car to remove the engine and transmission from underneath. Removing the transmission from the engine whilst in sit-u so that I can pull the engine out the top looks like a massive ball-ache and it looks much easier to remove the engine and transmission together. But 700mm is rather high and I'm not sure how I would get that sort of clearance underneath.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this or any advice? I will be doing this in my drive way so don't have access to any proper car lifts or anything.

Also, does anyone know what kind of clearance I need underneath in order to remove the transmission sepperatley as it doesn't mention this.

The car is a mk 2 focus estate, 1.8 petrol

Many thanks

Colin

Hi, I'm currently changing the engine on my mk1.5 tdci and I had the same issue as you so I took the whole nose off and removed from the front. I know it's alot of work but it was the only way for me. I do need to replace the AC radiator anyway so whilst it's off I'll get that sorted.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of that. Did you just remove the front bumper and radiator grill then or is there more that needs to come off?

Thanks

Colin

I have seen a focus ST 2.5 engine removed through the front of the car with the gearbox still attached using an engine hoist.

Removed...

Bumper and crash bar, lights, slam panel, both radiators and oil radiator, all wiring, power steering pump and pipes but not disconnected them, battery and tray. then removed both drive shafts and mountings and pulled it all forward then when out split gearbox from engine.

thanks for that! sound involved but seems like the best option

It's far from ideal, but then not having a 2 post lift to lift the body leaving the engine on the floor isn't ideal either lol.

33 minutes ago, stef123 said:

It's far from ideal, but then not having a 2 post lift to lift the body leaving the engine on the floor isn't ideal either lol.

haha well that's true.

Question, I cant find anywhere in the Haynes manual regarding the removal of the crash bar. Is this easy enough and fairly obvious?

thanks for the help by the way!

9 minutes ago, Coll659 said:

haha well that's true.

Question, I cant find anywhere in the Haynes manual regarding the removal of the crash bar. Is this easy enough and fairly obvious?

thanks for the help by the way!

I 'think' its only held one with 8 bolts? 4 each side on the square flange bits. 

it's really easy and you'll understand when you get to it. mine was held on by 3 bolts either side but mines a mk1.5.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

great! thanks for the info.

I'm down in south devon. near to totnes, torquey area

I've pulled quite a few out through the front with an engine hoist, although not a Focus' (yet) admittedly lol. 

Have also done it a really pikey way before I had a hoist (on a scrap car), pulled front end off, cut out irremovable crossmember, undid top engine mount bolts to drop it on the floor and rolled the car away from the engine...then realised I couldn't move the engine out of the middle of the garage... :laugh: 

thanks for the info.

I'm looking into places to get refurbished engines but seems there's a lot of dodgy places out there. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club