Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HID help

WillKinsella

So I have recently fitted some HIDs from autobeam, and they seem to be flickering? One seems to be worse than the other but both are flickering. I have a rough idea that it could be down to the DRLs that I have in my car, and from what I have read only 20watts go to the headlight where as the HIDs I have require 35watts. Is there anyway I can disable the DRLs or if I'm completely wrong and anyone knows what the problem is and how to solve, feel free.

cheers folks.

Flickering can be caused by faulty ballasts or an incompatibility between the ballasts and the bulbs. Whilst the issue can also be caused by too little voltage being supplied by the car I use a 35W kit on mine and it works perfectly.

Check to make sure you didn't connect the live and neutral backwards.

Cheers for the reply, correct me if I'm wrong but I tried the live and neutral the other way round, and the lights wouldn't work, so I switched them round and they came on. Other than that, all the other wires were connected. I have emailed autobeam and they told me to send them a short video of the flickering so i shall do that, it maybe is that the ballast or bulb is faulty so they should send new ones if that's the case. Cheers creed. 

• Like 1

Send them a short clip of what was happening so they have sent a replacement bulb for free. So hopefully when changed the problem should stop. Other than that if it doenst I have seen adding a relay to the connections should sort it out so will give that a try if it's not the bulb.

On 21/11/2016 at 5:29 PM, WillKinsella said:

Send them a short clip of what was happening so they have sent a replacement bulb for free. So hopefully when changed the problem should stop. Other than that if it doenst I have seen adding a relay to the connections should sort it out so will give that a try if it's not the bulb.

You shouldn't have to do that though, plenty of people including myself have been able to use HIDs without. Replacement ones will hopefully sort everything out.

If they don't solve the issue then I would get the ballasts replaced too. Might be worth swapping them round to see if the flickering follows them as you said one side was worse.

Yeah they have sent me a new bulb so will get that in tomorrow and update! 

21 hours ago, CREED said:

You shouldn't have to do that though, plenty of people including myself have been able to use HIDs without. Replacement ones will hopefully sort everything out.

If they don't solve the issue then I would get the ballasts replaced too. Might be worth swapping them round to see if the flickering follows them as you said one side was worse.

So new bulb came, changed it over turned on lights flickering still there. Since it is only one side, I then switched the ballasts over and the flickering, is still occurring. So now I am a little concerned that this may be a fault with the car/headlight or headlight wiring. Going to cope with it for as long as I can, before upgrading the HIDs to a new set from HID direct for there smart canbus ones. Hopefully a better ballast and bulb will sort it out. The flickering is only really noticeable when behind a car and you see the reflection just flickering which must be annoying for the car in front. 

When you swapped the ballast did the flickering follow it then?

Get a set of replacement ballasts sent out as autobeam obviously sent out a faulty pair. The fiesta doesn't use the canbus system for it's headlight bulbs so it wont make a difference I'm afraid. HIDs direct were who I used though and they are good.

6 minutes ago, CREED said:

When you swapped the ballast did the flickering follow it then?

Get a set of replacement ballasts sent out as autobeam obviously sent out a faulty pair. The fiesta doesn't use the canbus system for it's headlight bulbs so it wont make a difference I'm afraid. HIDs direct were who I used though and they are good.

Yeah I tried both ballasts the one that was originally one, and then used the other one and the flickering still occurred from the same side. So I have had a bulb replaced and tried both ballasts yet one side is flickering and the other is fine. In touch with autobeam so hopefully they willl send out new ballasts, but he said it doesn't seem like a ballast fault. 

Must be something faulty, I have had the HID's for 3 years now and never had a problem with them, good luck, there are many posts on this site that will help with the install of the HID's, good luck

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club