Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2011 estate leak through rear vents in boot

Cheval

Hi

lots of water coming in through the vents in the rear of my estate boot. Come in the left one only (not drivers side) it goes down into where the fuses are as well! Leave a puddle on my boot liner! Any ideas how to stop this? Thanks in advance

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

8 hours ago, Cheval said:

Hi

lots of water coming in through the vents in the rear of my estate boot. Come in the left one only (not drivers side) it goes down into where the fuses are as well! Leave a puddle on my boot liner! Any ideas how to stop this? Thanks in advance

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

Hi,

This is a known common problem with the focus hatch from 2005 through to 2011,

It's caused by the deterioration of the foam washer seals fitted around the bolts of the boot spoiler.

a tube of DIY bathroom silicone will solve the issue, 

remove spoiler; put silicone around bolt holes in boot panel and bolt the spoiler back on.

you won't see any silicone when finished and it will never leak again,

I've done mine as preventative maintenance 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lenny said:

Hi,

This is a known common problem with the focus hatch from 2005 through to 2011,

It's caused by the deterioration of the foam washer seals fitted around the bolts of the boot spoiler.

a tube of DIY bathroom silicone will solve the issue, 

remove spoiler; put silicone around bolt holes in boot panel and bolt the spoiler back on.

you won't see any silicone when finished and it will never leak again,

I've done mine as preventative maintenance 

This is the Mk3 Estate (2011 onwards).

Still might be the same problem....

Not heard of a common issue on the Mk3 estate....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

This is the Mk3 Estate (2011 onwards).

Still might be the same problem....

Not heard of a common issue on the Mk3 estate....

Ow rite sorry,

I assumed it was mk2.5 model😓,

Could be leaking rear washer pipe either.

• 6 months later...

Hi, 

did you get this sorted n the end? I am having the exact same problem...

Good morning,if your car definitely leaks from the vents,usually the bumper has to be removed,vents are then popped out and silicon applied.I'm sure there is a guide on here.Hope this helps.

does it not matter that the vents are should height? they aren't near the bumper, would mean water running up hill?

Ah ok buddy,I've got a mk1 and are at the bottom,I assumed yours were the same but looking at the original post yours are at the top so I think others will know how to sort this problem out,sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anything ever come of this. I have the same thing happing in my focus estate. It's mk3.. it literally looks like you took photos of my boot that's how similar it it. 

How do we fix it? Where is the source? 

my pov is Ford are useless , leaks still ongoing since 2005 ??  having said that , i had leaks on my 2006 focus estate , i solved it,  the leak is coming from the roof bars , open boot , and follow the welded joins where the roor bars are,  you will see a butted joint ,where the roof is welded to the side panels  i filled up this joint with clear silicon ,  up to the first rivet no leaks since ,  ford  lol cant solve  this issue 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Did anyone get a definite fix for this issue?I’m experiencing this identical issue with my estate. It would be nice to try to get to the bottom of it before it gets any worse.

cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I bought a 2011 estate recently and also have water getting into the boot, on the drivers side near the tailgate. As the car is under warranty with a main dealer  I have returned it to them and it is currently in their body shop. I would have added photos but they are over the 2mb limit. If I can find out anything from them I will post it on here.

13 hours ago, Gas 5150 said:

I would have added photos but they are over the 2mb limit

Can't you resize and recompress them? I use a very old version of Photoshop to do mine and can usually get them down to less than 100KB with no noticeable loss of quality. If you're sending from a phone it will usually offer to resize. If from a PC there are free resizing utilities available, some online, or it can be done in Windows Paint, see here.

Collected my car from the garage today after it being in the body shop for a week. They said the water had been getting in via the roof rails and they had to remove the head lining, that’s why it took so long to sort. 

Hopefully this has sorted out mine and can be of help to anyone else with the same problem.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I bought a 2008 Focus estate a couple of years ago and have recently started experiencing water leaking through the driver’s side vent in the back. I know from responses above that this may be coming from the roof bars. Does anyone have photos of what they mean by that. Do I have to take the roof lining completely off? 

• 8 months later...

Hi all, I’ve recently purchased a focus estate mk3 on a 12plate. I’m also experiencing water leaking in to the boot, as per the photos Lenny uploaded (left rear side) It’s definitely coming from the roof area. First I thought it was from the bracket that hold the gas struts as the bolts where only finger tight. I’ve tightened and thread locked as thought it coming pass there, But washed car today and still water is coming in. How difficult to remove the headlining to access the roof rail bars? I take it, it’s a pig of a job? 

You don't have to remove the headlining.

I had the dreaded water leak from the shrinking silicone filler applied at he base of the rail grove.

The standard roof rail plastic filler on mine is only held down by double sided sticky tape. Some of Mrs ScaniaPBman's heavy duty button thread was liberated and eased under the rail. You will probably have to prise up the end of the rail to get the thread in but watch you don't chip the paint. Something plastic to do the levering up should be OK. I used a big screwdriver with black duct tape wrapped around the blade.

A sawing action with the thread will cut through or under the adhesive tape.

After thoroughly cleaning the grove I liberally applied silicone sealer, pressed the rail back in and left it overnight with a heavy weight pressing it down in.

Best of luck,

ScaniaPBman.

On 9/19/2020 at 3:59 PM, Swatkins77 said:

Hi all, I’ve recently purchased a focus estate mk3 on a 12plate. I’m also experiencing water leaking in to the boot, as per the photos Lenny uploaded (left rear side) It’s definitely coming from the roof area. First I thought it was from the bracket that hold the gas struts as the bolts where only finger tight. I’ve tightened and thread locked as thought it coming pass there, But washed car today and still water is coming in. How difficult to remove the headlining to access the roof rail bars? I take it, it’s a pig of a job? 

Same here... A week ago i purchased mine and i have the same problem, but on the passenger side in the boot. I haven't realized from where it comes exactly, but after i googled the thing i hooked up here and see that it is a major and very common problem. Did you managed to carry out the repair? If so, how did u get off the headlining? Another thing i realized, that at the driver door also was water leakage that stopped at the bottom of the door... This is because of the door rubber sealing? If so, the replacement of the seal can resolve the issue? 

Thank you.

I have the exact same problem on my 2011 focus wagon, but on the right side (back). I have the chrome roof rails and by the looks of it I should first remove the headlining to get to the bolts of the roof rails. Is this right? Do any one have some tips? When removing the headlining, are there any tips or tricks?Capture.PNG.9b0692c6c705913b8ddf7fd6a87d44a1.PNG

On 9/29/2020 at 12:58 PM, Deon. said:

Thanks for the link!  Mine has just started to have this issue, probably down to all this rain we're having, I will look at tackling this in the coming days and will report back 🙂 

I have exactly the same problem on my Mk3.5 estate.

I had the problem on my previous Mk 2.5 estate (without roof rails), pulled off the black strip along the roof seam on each side, couldn't see any holes in the seam, but ran new sealant along anyway and stuck the strips back. It still leaked just as much, so that can't have been the problem, but with water coming in so high up, there aren't too many other possibilities.

I changed it for a Mk 3.5 estate a few weeks ago expecting a car just over 3 years old would keep the rain out. I was wrong - it's the same old story. It is going back to the main dealer we bought it from in about a week's time. They will have a look and probably say it isn't covered by their warranty. Still, they might do something. If they won't, my first plan is to see if the water could be getting in by the tailgate hinge bolts or gas strut bolts. At least they should be fairly easy to seal.

If that fails I will have to get at the roof rail bolts to undo them. The fordwiki link above is actually for a Mondeo, but I read on another thread that someone had dropped the headlining of a Mk3 Focus Estate and found that the roof rails were rivetted on, not bolted on. Unfortunately the thread didn't say what they did next.

If I make any progress I will report back.

Just finished doing the repair on my car and it is now all done and no leaks so far with a couple night rain on it but will report back to say if it has lasted the test of time,  to get the roof rails off you have to take the headliner out this a bit tricky but lucky it's not the first time I have had to take a headlining out of another car before and the focus mk3 is much easier than that one but would still say it took me a good part of 6 hrs to finish the repair to the point where I could drive again. I dropped the headliner down so that it rested on the headrests so I didn't have to take it all out as all the wiring for it is a pain to get at.  The roof rails are held on by 4 10mm nut for each side of the car once out I cleaned up the channels for the rails and the rails themselves, put sealant down the full length of the channels and all over the holes for where the rack goes into popped the rail back down (this bit is much easier with 2 people but can be done with just one)  then tightened the the nuts up again I couldn't find any toque specs but would say about 15nm and a bit of locktight wouldn't go a miss I didn't as from factor they don't but the sealant over the thread still helped.   Here is some links that helped me see how to remove the headliner.     BE AWARE! not all sealants are the same as some are for outdoor and are weather proof that seems a good idea but they can have some solvents in them and may start to damage or strip paint also the weather proof stuff can start to grow mould on it, here is a link to the stuff I used as it was UV resistant, anti-fungal, Weatherproof and can stick well to non-porous surfaces. https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-general-purpose-silicone-clear-310ml/35887#product_additional_details_container 

• Like 1

Afraid I didn't get any pictures of the nut that hold the rails on as phone decided to not save them but they are 4 10mm nuts per side that are quite long, they are located about here as illustrated as well as where I put down the sealant.     Hope this helps people 

IMG_20201006_184030.jpg

sealant pattern.jpg

• Thanks 1