Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head light unit replacement

pete_m1

So the other day both my main head lights went out and thought the bulbs must need replacing.

Since I was in a rush I went to a well known car place begging with H and they replaced both my bulbs (I wouldn't normally go there). The passenger side now works fine, but the drivers side doesn't. They checked the fuses and said they were fine and I need a replacement unit for the drivers side.

Any idea where the best place to get one is and how hard is it to replace?

am I missing something? how can replacing a headlamp unit make the headlamp bulb work. The headlamp unit is just a great big holder with a reflector in.

Why would you need a new headlight because the bulb is not illuminating? The headlight is just a casing to cast the light out from the bulb. It may well have motors connected for levelling but that will not have any affect on the bulb. Have you tried testing the multi plug to see if you have power there?

Try changing the fuses rather than a simple visual check. Sometimes its something as simple as that.

I have not tested the multi plug or changed the fuse. Although they did check there were was power going to the fuse with a piece of equipment.

The guy at the store thought it maybe a problem with wire going to the bulb.

There can be power going to the fuse slot on the permanently live side but if the fuse is faulty or blown then the power cant carry on through the fuse then out of the other slot and along the wiring to the bulb. Replace/swap the fuse first before you spend any money.

• Like 1

So it turned out to be the fuse after all. I complained to H and they refunded me everything expect the cost of fitting one bulb. 

I also learnt how to fit the bulb myself now so it's a win all round

Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, pete_m1 said:

So the other day both my main head lights went out and thought the bulbs must need replacing.

Since I was in a rush I went to a well known car place begging with H and they replaced both my bulbs (I wouldn't normally go there). The passenger side now works fine, but the drivers side doesn't. They checked the fuses and said they were fine and I need a replacement unit for the drivers side.

Any idea where the best place to get one is and how hard is it to replace?

when i went for a mot on mine couple months ago the main bem wouldnt work they tried new bulbs but that didnt help .turned out it was the connectors in the plug that goes to the passenger fuse box

Glad you got it sorted Pete. Always worth checking the basics first and I would always seek advice on here before going to the likes of Halfords. There are some very clued up people on this forum. You all know who you are! :yes:

a lady I know at work bought a new headlamp bulb but could not work out how to fit. she said she was going to phone the AA and ask them to do it. the rest of us said that the AA would not do that and would tell her to get stuffed. but she phoned the AA, told them what she wanted and they sent someone round straightaway to where we work to do it for her. Not really what the AA is intended for - not exactly a breakdown situation. I assume they weren't busy and the staff would rather be doing something rather than sitting around bored.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club