Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight adjustment on a MK 2.5 Focus, any ideas ?

The Joshua Tree

I noticed their is a yellowish plastic type screw on the top of each headlight, the large part is an allen key thread, i turned that but not a lot seems to happen, i believe that one moves them sideways.  What type of screw thread is inside, lower down to adjust them up and down. I was struggling to see what type of tool i need for the one lower down as i need to adjust one of them up.

I've just fitted some nightbreaker bulbs earlier today but i couldn't adjust them, one headlight was lower before i changed the bulbs so i was going to do both jobs at the same time but i couldn't get them adjusted.

1 hour ago, The Joshua Tree said:

I was struggling to see what type of tool i need for the one lower down as i need to adjust one of them up.

Have a look at:

Is that any help?

It takes a few turns to make much difference. Though double check the bulbs are sitting properly in the sockets first. I had a problem where the holding springs had been abused (by me, maybe, trying to unclip them without proper tools blush.png). They no longer held the bulbs in firmly enough, and they came unseated.

56 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Have a look at:

Is that any help?

It takes a few turns to make much difference. Though double check the bulbs are sitting properly in the sockets first. I had a problem where the holding springs had been abused (by me, maybe, trying to unclip them without proper tools blush.png). They no longer held the bulbs in firmly enough, and they came unseated.

My bulbs don't have holding springs, the bulb sits in a plastic surround which slides onto guides and  has a plastic release clip which you press.

I didn't get an answer to one of the questions which i asked, what tool do you need for the adjustment up/down part which sits at the bottom of the plastic adjuster, you can't see it from the top, is it a phillips or allen key etc ?

• Like 1

IIRC the adjusters take philips and hex.

You do need to turn them a fair bit to adjust them.

I believe the outer bolt adjusts horizontal alignment and inner one does vertical alignment.

All adjustments should be carried out with the leveller setting at 'O'.

The bolts can also be very stiff to turn so a shot of penetrating oil is advised.

TBH a local garage can set everything up on a beam setter in 5 minutes.

When I swapped my old mk2 Focus headlights for aftermarket ones my local garage did the alignment for £10.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

I've just worked out why i was struggling to work out the headlight adjustment, their is another one of those 7mm plastic adjustment screws that's not obvious and is well out of sight. Their is no way you can get a 7mm allen key down there, i presume Ford have a long allen key for that job and it's designed to make it hard for you to get too, either that or a stupid design. I just about managed to get enough bite with a long screw driver, i think it will be ok for now, i'll find some ground that's more level than our drive and do it more accurately at some point.

• Like 1

Morning 

i used a 7mm socket Allen key on a 6" extension bar and then a ratchet all where 3/8" as its nice and slim to go down the gap. 

Hi Daz, i didn't have a thin enough extension bar to attach to a 7mm screwdriver allen bit as i didn't have any allen sockets.

The local garage are going to set them up for me on their MOT ramp for £10 so can't grumble at that, at least i'll know they will be perfect for my next MOT.

• Like 2

Had them setup earlier on the MOT ramp at the local garage, the difference now is quite literally like night and day. These Osram nightbreaker bulbs seem to be excellent, far superior to the standard bulbs, really bright and pure white. Note sure I'll need the main beam too often.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club