Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Panel filter vs induction kit

Rcatt

Hi Guys,

I am looking in to either getting a panel filter or induction kit for my 2008 mk6 1.4 zetec blue. 

I know this will give little to no performance gains but I want  the car to sound a bit better without getting a exhaust system. 

Any advice on this? 

I have read that  K&N recommend fitting the induction kit where it will suck in hot air. If so where is the best place to put it.

Thanks
Rcatt 

If you're after abit more sound, the induction kit is which you want to choose from. There are various ones on the market and most will suck in hot air, so you should look for one that either has a cold air feed pipe and a heat shield. ITG induction kit the filter itself is located directly under the headlight against the bumper, but that's the most expensive one on the market far as I am aware.

Thanks for the help, found a pipercross kit that has a heat shield, looking at the cost I am debating on getting a aftermarket exhaust. 

Only problem is that I don't want the sound to be too loud just give it a bit more grunt. 

Yeah I'd love an exhaust on mine to, but just can't bare it being loud as a mate of mine has one on his and it just sounds like a lawn mower. It's awful, so off putting. Here's how my engine bay is looking with my induction kit fitted

get a awesome sound when let off, no real performance increase other than throttle response seems to be abit better. I put that down to the primar and secondary hose tho.IMG_0710.JPG

17 hours ago, Rcatt said:

Thanks for the help, found a pipercross kit that has a heat shield, looking at the cost I am debating on getting a aftermarket exhaust. 

Only problem is that I don't want the sound to be too loud just give it a bit more grunt. 

I have the AS induction kit and hoses, have a look at there's mate.

Ahh if only there was a way to try before you buy for an exhaust. Had a look at AS and they only do kits for the mk6 st150 that i believe has a different engine layout to mine so would not be compatible. Would love it to fit as i'm trying to go for a black and blue colour theme. 

I will have a think but will probably get one, just need to decide on what mods i want to do to my car first :biggrin: 

• Like 1

Made my mind up and I am looking to getting one in the new year. 

Could anyone who has fitted one to a mk6 non zetec s or ST comment on how they fitted theirs as this post the K&N induction is mounted where it will soak up hot air. I am thinking or getting a Pipercross viper intake but can't seem to find much info on it being fitted.

Thanks 

Ford have gone to a lot of trouble to make your car quiet.

I'll give my two cents on this. I have a cylindrical air filter in my MK3, same shape since the MK2.5. Recently I bought a K&N filter to replace my standard one. It's the one with the removable bung. Ive been running it with the bung removed as the sound was excellent, really meaty and strong. Acceleration felt nice too, better than standard. Yesterday I just happened to put the bung back in for argument sake. I can say 100% that acceleration is even better and so smooth with the air box/filter closed/sealed. There's no drop in revs changing gear, feels stronger in the lower revs. I do have the snorkel delete done on mine too which probably has helped a bit. But yea, just shows that open ended filters or ones that do away with the standard air box aren't always the best.

Nice to here that. For me it's the opposite, putting the induction kit on, open filter, along with the primary and secondary hoses, it seems faster. Not so much speed wise, but more responsive, more torque and a little bit quicker to the standard air box. I know the hoses will make a difference with all that, and I didn't drive the car with the hoses in and the standard air box in. So I think one day I'll put the standard air box back in, but leave the hoses and see how it drives.

Well I'll be getting the K&N panel filter tomorrow. I've run the J1, and as you may expect, it works best in open roads and lanes etc. For city driving not as good as the airbox. EDIT. So I have the K&N Panel filter now. 

As you'd expect not much difference over the original. I must say though. I bought an ST backbox off someone the other week n that was fitted not so long ago. It has a lovely little pur to it. Similar to the boxxer engine of a subaru (ofcourse nowhere near as pronounced or anything) but and the K&N does add a tiny little bit of grunt upfront. I haven't been on any long journeys with it yet. 
The J1 was much louder, but I like how subtle my car sounds and feels now. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club